Author Topic: Getting the population to procreate faster (or move there or whatever)  (Read 16881 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
the new migration code drains half full (or something around but not quite that) rurals / towns into empty (but huge max pop) cities. can't say it was a good balance to me.
This is only partially correct. The mechanic is actually very simple:

If a region has a high percentage of its maximum population, then peasants from that region will migrate to adjacent regions that have a low percentage of their maximum population, provided that the destination region is not starving, and is not rogue or an NPC realm. Region types are irrelevant, as are realm borders. Peasants will migrate between realms, even if those realms are at war.

mind you.. whatever happened to the region max pop resizes?
Still on the radar, but not actively being worked on. Bedwyr came up with some equations to work out actual numbers. When the time comes to actually do this (which won't be until after the new estate code) the numbers will be run and hand checked to ensure a good balance before they are implemented.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
So it's better to defeat and pacify enemy realms. Better yet, force your enemies to fight on your side.

I partially disagree with the first unless it leads to the second.

Fighting the same foe all the time gets repetitive. Mercy should only be granted if it doesn't deny the winner the opportunity to seek out fights elsewhere.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Let's take Krimml city as an example. It now has 4737 inhabitants. They seem to be growing in an average pace of about 40 per day. I've seen on the wiki that the city's population once was 17900. At that pace it will be another 330 days, almost a year, before the city is back to normal.

Am I mistaken somehow? If I'm not, this is lunacy. We talk of crippeling a realm, but a realm can't be crippled for well over a year. 2 months might be reasonable or so.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Growth rates are variable.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Growth is a percentage function. So as the population gets higher, it will grow faster. Even so, high pop regions take a LONG time to fill back up.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
Let's take Krimml city as an example. It now has 4737 inhabitants. They seem to be growing in an average pace of about 40 per day. I've seen on the wiki that the city's population once was 17900. At that pace it will be another 330 days, almost a year, before the city is back to normal.

Am I mistaken somehow? If I'm not, this is lunacy. We talk of crippeling a realm, but a realm can't be crippled for well over a year. 2 months might be reasonable or so.

In Dwilight, there are regions that have been near-continuously held by human realms for over a year that have never seen max population.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
In Dwilight, there are regions that have been near-continuously held by human realms for over a year that have never seen max population.

Starvations considered. Most other continents have it easier when it comes to food.

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile

Yes, and I think there is a reason why we have a quite long thread on this forum called "Too much peace too much for Dwilight".
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Even so, high pop regions take a LONG time to fill back up.

Not just high population regions. One of my characters is lord of a woodland region on EC with a maximum population of 5800. It was devastated when I got it, and some five months or more later it's barely reach a quarter of its maximum pop. That seems ridiculously extreme.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Not just high population regions. One of my characters is lord of a woodland region on EC with a maximum population of 5800. It was devastated when I got it, and some five months or more later it's barely reach a quarter of its maximum pop. That seems ridiculously extreme.

• What have the stats been like?
  • Has it been well-fed?
  • What continent?
  • Is it adjacent to fully-populated or well-populated regions?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Giask is growing at an average rate of aboyt 1,200 people a day. How's that for slow growth 8)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
  • What have the stats been like?
  • Has it been well-fed?
  • What continent?
  • Is it adjacent to fully-populated or well-populated regions?

1. Its stats have consistently been in the 80s and 90s, if not 100%, with Main or Core control.

2. Yes.

3. EC.

4. Two of the regions bordering it are well or fully populated, four are not.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
3. EC.

OK, this is the key piece of information, then.

The changes to population migration have not yet gone to stable.  However, they will with the next update (they are in rev. 5545).

That should make your region's population grow much faster.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

cjnodell

Giask is growing at an average rate of aboyt 1,200 people a day. How's that for slow growth 8)

Wow. And here I am getting excited whenever the population of a Barcan increases by more than a hundred...

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile

yea, now just need to feed it..