Author Topic: Militias  (Read 2189 times)

Zakilevo

Militias
« Topic Start: August 31, 2016, 04:07:14 AM »
So it has been awhile since we talked about them...

I mean Sirion and her allies are pretty bad but militias are still way too good. Either they need to become weaker or player controlled units need to become stronger.

Here are some ideas.

1) Increase desertion rate on militias. If militias don't see any combat for over 2 weeks, they start to desert. Not in a huge number but gradual enough to make lords to constantly replenish their number. Or if this is too annoying....

2) Make militias cost more over time. Up to 100% more. They will depend more gold as they stay in a region for long. Maybe every 2~3 weeks, their wages will go up by 10~20%. Caps at 100%.

3) Just weaken their strength overall. Set militias as police in non-stronghold regions on top of it maybe?

4) Lose morale and training over time.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Militias
« Reply #1: August 31, 2016, 10:06:26 AM »
Another option would be to create situations where militia get bored after a while and are more likely to kill some peasants if stationed in the region, this in turn will lower moral in the city. On the other hand, hiring and firing militia is already a very costly thing, so not 100% certain about this one. You can of course not send your militia elsewhere for instance.

I do agree that a nerf somewhere is required, but it's a delicate thing.

Increased cost over time, or a greater food consumption would be 2 more easily to be implemented suggestions I think. Or simply higher cost alltogether as they're not ruled and kept in check by nobles, they must be done so by gold.
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela

Constantine

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 31, 2016, 02:45:26 PM »
I don't like a blunt militia nerf, but I wouldn't mind introduction of instruments to weaken it.
For example, I don't like the idea of militia deserting all the time so it just becomes a chore to maintain it. But how about militia getting weaker or deserting when the region is low on morale/control, starving, local lord being imprisoned, etc.?

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 31, 2016, 03:55:03 PM »
I don't like a blunt militia nerf, but I wouldn't mind introduction of instruments to weaken it.
For example, I don't like the idea of militia deserting all the time so it just becomes a chore to maintain it. But how about militia getting weaker or deserting when the region is low on morale/control, starving, local lord being imprisoned, etc.?
They already do when region is low on morale. Militia are also more likely to join the rebel side when morale is low. Militia help prevent a region from revolting when control is low. Militia starve when the region is starving. The region can be bought if the local lord is imprisoned.

Vita`

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 31, 2016, 04:05:17 PM »
I think some diminishing returns style CS-adjustment would be most appropriate for militia, based on number of militia units, similar to diminishing returns in unit size.

Gabanus family

• Board Moderator
  • Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 31, 2016, 05:00:04 PM »
I think some diminishing returns style CS-adjustment would be most appropriate for militia, based on number of militia units, similar to diminishing returns in unit size.

I think number of militia units would be a pretty poor way to deal with this, introducing micromanagement into what would be the perfect size of militia units. Wouldn't it be better to just do it based on total amount of militia in the region?

Also should we then allow cities to have more militia, or keep that the same for all regions?
New account active chars:
Garas: First Oligarch - Goriad: Astrum - Goriad II: Obia'Syela