Author Topic: The Current War  (Read 575883 times)

Dante Silverfire

• Mighty Duke
  • Merlin (AT), Brom(DWI), Proslyn(DWI)
    • View Profile
Re: The Current War
« Reply #1545: January 17, 2013, 07:09:33 PM »
Something first: My opinions as a player on an OOC level differ *drastically* from the IC opinions of my character as a Duke/Ruler/General of Coria during these times. Most of the answers from my previous post are based upon the IC perceptions of my character. If I look objectively at how I'd win the war from an OOC basis that will change my thoughts. I'll respond the rest of this post with my OOC opinions.

Two, I am willing to bet that all the players in Hammarsett, Tara, Coria and MI (at a minimum) had a hell of a lot more fun this way than if we'd aimed for and achieved an endless stalemate over Cantril.

I agree with this. But as I said above, character action and player fun shouldn't necessarily always be linked. Although in some cases its important. If I favored player fun purely over IC RP'ed actions, then I would have had Coria attack CE long ago. However, I have to play my character, not as a player.

Detente is bad for the game.

Agreed. But again, that's my OOC opinion. Most of my actions for any character are based solely upon what I know IC. I think an issue was that much of the basis for the original war (when Carelia started it) was an OOC understanding that it was now or never against CE.

You can argue with my strategic evaluation of the situation if you want to, but that's what drove Hammarsett's actions. As for you, if you're so convinced that Hammarsett's choices were a disaster, explain to me what the better course would have been, taking into consideration that:

1. Eston would never cancel it's treaty with Coria.

2. Darka would never agree to attack Talerium.

Okay, assuming that I have the power in game to control the actions of the Northern Alliance this is what I'd do under your given restrictions.

1. Don't attack Coria, and let Coria's agreement with Eston force the war to be a standoff at Cantril.
2. Negotiate peace with CE on neutral terms. (I believe that this would have been possible since it was just a standoff for real life months.)
3. Bide your time, and watch the diplomacy of the south. Nudge diplomacy into a war between Suville, Strombran, Caergoth, and Carelia. (with possible participation from CE and/or Tara)
4. The above conflict would have placed Tara and CE on opposing sides. Use that to drive a wedge in the CE, Tara alliance.
5. Ally the north with Coria (which was very possible under former conditions, a lot more difficult now)
6. Along with Coria attack south with the unified north while CE and Tara are split. However, don't attack both of them. Focus on war, and make it clear your intentions in the war. Not just "reduce the power of CE, or destroy CE". Attack either CE or Tara, while all of their allies are distracted. Tara would be easier, but CE would be just as susceptible.
7. Try and break the federation permanently by offering the other side an alliance in return for very favorable terms in whatever area of the map that they want.

That is how you beat CE. However, it all falls apart because I made the simple assumption I could unify the north's opinion. But if the north wanted to win, that's what they do. You don't just attack "CE's powerbase" with nameless intentions because that will provoke a huge backlash.

Perhaps just claim a single duchy (and state that at the beginning of the war), or something. That way they know what happens if they surrender. You can only afford to not make terms if you're like CE and can enforce whatever you want.
"This is the face of the man who has worked long and hard for the good of the people without caring much for any of them."