Author Topic: The Current War  (Read 573966 times)

Eirikr

Re: The Current War
« Reply #1575: January 18, 2013, 03:59:33 AM »
A novel is the highest mode of conveying a story, as the author of a novel has unlimited control over what he/she creates, as well as huge amounts of potential in terms of creativity and complexity. Movies and games both have their niches; both allow for audio and visuals, and games provide a means of interacting with the audience. However they are both inferior modes, as they are constrained in many ways, the most important of which is by the resources required to utilize them.

I'd accept that definition/description, but I'm not sure how it relates to our discussion. If the creators of BattleMaster had defined an actual story to be conveyed, perhaps I could see where you're going, but my point was much more related to the idea that BattleMaster forms a world of its own comprised of multiple stories. These stories, in turn, make the game enjoyable and are enhanced by the dynamic and varied characters we, as players, bring to the game.

I don't mean to convey, at all, that any one player would particularly desire to see the whole thing, beginning to end or that any character is required for the game to exist or be enjoyable. The idea of characters as having their own motivations that may be contrary to OOC considerations, however, I believe is integral to BattleMaster being enjoyable.

Seeing the whole deal wrapped up in book format would be pretty cool, though.