Author Topic: The Current War  (Read 573971 times)

Gustav Kuriga

Re: The Current War
« Reply #1575: January 18, 2013, 04:08:02 AM »
A novel is the highest mode of conveying a story, as the author of a novel has unlimited control over what he/she creates, as well as huge amounts of potential in terms of creativity and complexity. Movies and games both have their niches; both allow for audio and visuals, and games provide a means of interacting with the audience. However they are both inferior modes, as they are constrained in many ways, the most important of which is by the resources required to utilize them.

I really, really hate it when people use the word "inferior" when describing games and movies. That's just a smug, patronizing (not to mention in many ways outdated) outlook and in some cases just plain wrong. I certainly don't see very many books that spawn orchestral concerts, unlike certain games.

The way I view it, every medium brings its own pluses and minuses. For a book, that would be for the most part the freedom of the author to create his book's universe the way he wants (please note, there are publishers in the book world, so it isn't complete freedom). It also has the length to in many ways flesh out the story and characters fully. However, this can lead to confusion for the reader if the author is too vague about certain aspects of the story, as he may already know about the background fully, while the readers don't.

Games can bring you the length and the depth of a book, sometimes even more, while allowing you to take part in the story itself. However, if the game mechanics are poor, this can distract from the story too much. There is more variety in depth in games, some having layers and layers of story and backstory, while others are just given a vague concept so that you have a reason to do what you're doing. Some have none.