Author Topic: The Current War  (Read 573660 times)

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
Re: The Current War
« Reply #510: November 01, 2011, 05:15:44 AM »
Nice of you to point that one out  ;D

Unknit CE and Tara. That's the obvious conclusion. Tearing your way through Tara without making efforts to cause internal dissent is you fighting a one dimensional war. Its not going anywhere.

I don't discount Coria and Talerium entirely. Coria's location, like we've always known it would, puts Coria into a position of strategic importance whether you're marching north or south. Talerium I do discount. That's not anti-CE bias, that's CE bias. Sure, their PM might as well be a monarch or dictator, but that doesn't translate to coordination or increased military funding. Its been a stagnant realm for years and, on that basis, as deserving of a bit of a thrashing as Carelia was. Ask Eston what sort of a challenge they provide, and then ask if CE is helping them provide even that much (or little). Throw Darka in the mix and Talerium would have no choice but to abandon CE. Not turn against them, but stay out of it.

That's one down.

If you can't get past the buffer armies to hit CE directly, that's understandable. No amount of slick moves or iron discipline can teleport an army from Icegate to Calis. But if those buffer armies are a problem, why fight the long game of tearing through their regions? They're still going to have a sizable enough military, especially properly motivated to defend themselves, so unless you're going to physically take the regions off their hands, better to force them out of it. Why, then, can this not be done by brute force with Talerium and diplomacy with Coria? Talerium, even with CE's help, could never hope to stop Darka and Eston together. Coria, with Tara's help, could continue to bottleneck the northern forces. Make it very much in Coria's interests to turn and they will. They're independent. Coria's best interests. Ask Dante. As for Talerium, check the continent stats. They are running at about 35 bushels each, with anything less than 100 indicating that they need to import. A month of raids, both with individual black market traders and with armies from Eston and Darka, and Talerium would be starved into neutrality.

Its easy to run a war when you're not actually running the war, I know. Politics and diplomacy gets involved, as do individual agreements that the individuals making them don't want to break. But from an objective enough point of view (I've little interest in who wins or loses, tbh) some sort of grand plan would probably be nice, serve as motivation for the ACE knights and lords and might actually bear a little fruit.

Can't do worse than this hodge-podge of conflicting plans of action and more often inaction.

Finn.

P.S. Dwilight is bigger, in a geographical sense. Still, its an entirely apt comparison. Caerwyn. Carelia. 'Nuff said?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #511: November 01, 2011, 05:40:01 AM »
P.S. Dwilight is bigger, in a geographical sense. Still, its an entirely apt comparison. Caerwyn. Carelia. 'Nuff said?

Meh, I disagree, but then I'm biased. We have our sphere of influence, but we leave the rest of the island alone. Dwilight, unlike Atamara, does not require all realms to seek out wars just to keep things interesting. There's plenty of monsters to kill, and colonies to nurture, enough so that it's entirely possible for us to leave our neighbors alone indefinitely provided they don't bother us. That was our approach to relations with Caerwyn; they're the ones who decided to go all Lizzie Borden on us...

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #512: November 01, 2011, 05:45:47 AM »
Just curious, y'know, but who started this current war?

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #513: November 01, 2011, 05:56:30 AM »
Carelia I think.  8)

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #514: November 01, 2011, 01:05:02 PM »
Yep. That's settled. No comparison between CE and SA.

:o

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515: November 01, 2011, 02:54:40 PM »
The same person wrote these two posts? Really?
For my part, I don't blame CE for what they've done, or the end result. They've been *very* successful, and have the might to show for it. So long as they have played it all IC, then that's fine with me. Even if they have used strong-arm tactics, dirty politics, etc., it doesn't matter, so long as it's all been IC, and not OOC.

CE/Tara is free to do whatever they want, and it's up to the rest of us to stop them. There's certainly enough war going on on Atamara that it's not like the Great Peace on EC. Should they proceed to "win" the island, and unite everything into a single, tight political alliance, then I think it will move to an OOC obligation on the leaders to do something to keep it from staying that way for a significant length of time.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #516: November 01, 2011, 05:02:12 PM »
They'd have to. Otherwise the continent would properly stagnate this time and realms would start bleeding nobles. TMP isn't strictly needed when you recognize the fact that fighting a war means something to do for yonder knights and dames and therefore they're a bit more active, or don't disappear off every few days.

CE won't want to get everyone together in a big fluffy group though. My guess is Darka will feel the heat if and when CE can look up rather than down the map. Back when I was in the Imperial Senate, it was a question of Darka or Carelia. Darka was winning, by a long-shot. Someone needs to slap Leta upside the head. Course, Carelia has MS (and now a MS ruler), so it won't just be a bashing. It'll be Falasan. They'll leave Carelia with a diminished Duchy. Then Tara will take it while no one's looking. They take MS very seriously in there. Still, Darka can expect to be excluded from any peace deals unless they're doing the brokering. Strangely, as much as the Barony has probably earned a bit of dislike from CE, there was never any bad feelings towards them even when fighting against them way back when. Times may have changed, but Darka's nearer and of more use too.

Lets face it though. If nothing drastic happens to change things up, CE will simply burn and rape and pillage their way through Carelia as they've been doing (ouch with Suville about to take Wayburg) and then turn north. There won't be hugs for Darka, the Barony, Hammersett or MI though. On the case of Eston, if they're still playing as smart as they were, they'd try turn them against Darka. "How about your old Duchy back? And why not wait for Darka to be off fighting Tara before we move in and help you take it, eh?" Admittedly has a Red Wedding feel to the whole idea, but its not like the same didn't happen to Eston by Darka or Norland by Eston/BoM.

Strangely, every cunning plan I think up to win this war for one side or the other generally involves turning either Eston to CE or Coria to anti-CE. I guess its true that three things determine the value of lands: location, location, location.

Finn.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #517: November 02, 2011, 04:39:41 AM »
On the case of Eston, if they're still playing as smart as they were, they'd try turn them against Darka. "How about your old Duchy back? And why not wait for Darka to be off fighting Tara before we move in and help you take it, eh?"

And it's not like Kerwin's very first war as a Marshal saw the brutal invasion and takeover of the Massillion Duchy, the deposition of its Duke, whom Kerwin looked up to very much, and the pillage of his home region of Nazamroth, or anything....  :-X
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #518: November 02, 2011, 06:17:52 AM »
I don't care what anyone else says. Leaving Colonies and heading to Atamara was the best decision I've ever made in BM. Right now, I'm having more fun in Atamara than I am in Dwilight or FEI.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #519: November 02, 2011, 06:46:04 AM »
I don't care what anyone else says. Leaving Colonies and heading to Atamara was the best decision I've ever made in BM. Right now, I'm having more fun in Atamara than I am in Dwilight or FEI.

Where are you at in Atamara?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Vaylon Kenadell

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Vaylon's Website
« Reply #520: November 02, 2011, 10:26:38 AM »
Where are you at in Atamara?

Caergoth.

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #521: November 02, 2011, 09:14:00 PM »
Caergoth.

Helmsdale is a blast, too. It's obvious that the army was intended to come into our capital as a neutral force, then declare war, start a TO and deprive us of the walls - an easy victory for Caergoth and her city back. However, your can never trust 100% of the nobles to set their unit's to defensive.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522: November 03, 2011, 01:30:16 AM »
I hate that. Such a nasty shortcoming of the diplomacy system. There are other ways to exploit that as a defender, too. I've been bitten by that before...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #523: December 04, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »
Hey I just noticed that CE is still around. And not only that, but Carelia seems to have lost some stuff.

Er, so how's the whole "Take down CE!" plan doing?

Forbes Family

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #524: December 04, 2011, 08:54:44 PM »
I would have to say not that well  8)
Forbes Family