Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Change the government without a revolution

Started by JPierreD, July 14, 2011, 05:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chenier

Quote from: Revan on July 18, 2011, 10:55:39 AM
A rebellion started in Bara'Khur because of my fiddling and suggestions of further changes to the government system. Turns out a clique thought I was trying to freeze them out ;-) Honestly, I wish it was as easy as you two make it sound. Changing the government system is an open invitation for ambitious/seditious individuals to crawl out of the woodwork. I'm surprised that others have seen government changes get such easy rides.

Depends on whether the strongest clique is in power or not. In cases when they aren't, sure, it'll likely stir up a !@#$ storm. If they are, though... that's another story.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

Quote from: Chénier on July 18, 2011, 01:38:02 PM
Depends on whether the strongest clique is in power or not. In cases when they aren't, sure, it'll likely stir up a !@#$ storm. If they are, though... that's another story.

That assumes that there is always a "strongest clique."
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

egamma

Gellin had all sorts of trouble for starting a referendum to see if the nobles wanted to change to a different election system.

Indirik

I've seen things go both ways. Rowan Geronus changed the ruler's title in Astrum, but go flamed and protested so much he had to change it back.

Ohnar West recently changed lord appointments from Elected to Appointed without any prior discussion. One or two people said "Do we really want to do that?" and one or two others applauded the ruler for his decisive action in a time of trouble. No one brought up the point that the change was totally unnecessary, because even with it set to election, you can still appoint.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Heq

No-one brought up the point in OW, but in OW if you complain about their governance for some reason you do so to foreign leaders.

I don't get it either.

Indirik

It's a national pastime. I really don't know if anyone in OW likes anyone else in OW.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shenron

Quote from: Anaris on July 18, 2011, 01:42:05 PM
That assumes that there is always a "strongest clique."

There is... always....
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Anaris

Quote from: Shane "Shenron" O'neil on July 20, 2011, 10:28:13 AM
There is... always....

Not at all.

There may be several cliques with comparable power, each capable of getting someone into office pretty easily if they weren't opposed by the other cliques their size, but when all of them are put together...it becomes quite a different story.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

Quote from: Anaris on July 20, 2011, 01:36:52 PM
Not at all.

There may be several cliques with comparable power, each capable of getting someone into office pretty easily if they weren't opposed by the other cliques their size, but when all of them are put together...it becomes quite a different story.

Comparable power ain't equal power. It's technically impossible to have equal power, though impossible to measure precisely anyways. And strongest doesn't mean dominating

But this is just semantics.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron