Author Topic: Making Stuff Happen - A Rant  (Read 21673 times)

egamma

Re: Making Stuff Happen - A Rant
« Reply #45: July 20, 2011, 03:10:44 PM »
sorry but i see very little sense in your notion if we know that teamplay and interaction are major game values, and everything else is revolving about it.

i cannot even closely understand what it has to do with sma. in sma you are required to hold your character as strictly medieval person, to avoid expressions, subjects and way of living which does not fit middle age, but how it could be against interaction?!

i would personally prefer sma on all continents, and am trying to play all my chars sma to the extent possible.

maybe you feel term "interaction" as something like ooc chat, but interaction is general term much wider than chatting. there is good and bad interaction, flavored, and non-flavored, sma or non-sma, but without interaction we have nothing, almost everything in game are sole messages.

and teamplay is play of aware individuals who prefer to conduct their activities together with others in some sort of mutual coordination, so what is more valuable and appealing than that? of course, someone could call ooc ganging as teamplay, but that is something completely different, that is abuse and is not actually teamplay, as ooc gangers ignore other players who would naturally be part of some team in ic environment, and form their "team" goals and strategies outside the game.

The  :P face indicates that the poster was joking, or only half-serious.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: July 20, 2011, 06:20:33 PM »
Exactly, I was giving what seems to be a popular answer for defending acting against teamplay.

Sure, in the Medieval times the rulers and group of nobles could be some power-mongering bitches, but this is a game, and though power-grabs and such are interesting in certain contexts, in some they are not, and they suck the life out of the game.

A popular answer I've had when I've invited people to the game went along "I don't want to be a knight, I want to be a ruler. I'll join if I can get there (without having been a knight before)". Well, that sums up the spirit: some are after the power trip, not after the rest of the gaming experience.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: July 21, 2011, 05:51:19 PM »
lust for power is not problem by itself, on contrary it is what potentially creates conflicts.

the problem is that mechanics setup allowed those who grab power to hold it indefinitely by too simple means, while there is no way to play against it.

personally, i don't believe ordinary nobles can make revolutions, they are lucky to get 50 golds per week, and they are almost never able to save some funds, to prepare some power.

historically, i think it is somewhat accurate - the main power of lower nobles should be support that they give to one of power factions, they could be tip on balance.

but the problem is that there are no power factions - almost all in power are always glad with what they have, they do not go one against another, so that turn in conflict weak ones vs. power ones which is so hopeless that rarely even develops.

psymann

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: July 31, 2011, 05:51:16 PM »
really interesting event has very simple definition - event that influences power balance.

Not sure if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here, but there are two sorts of 'making things happen':
1) Things happen that cause battles to be fought, regions to be won and lost, rulers to be overthrown, generally politically motivated
2) Things that give you something interesting to read and react to other than automated turn-change messages, that give interesting roleplay opportunity and some memorable moments

Trying to do (1) does fit your definition.  But trying to do (2) does not.  Having just returned to see Battlemaster after three years away, the things I most remember from my previous time here were the light-hearted, frivolous-but-not-silly roleplays we had in Falasan's Black Army, surrounding the impossible game of Skat, and the mysterious lure of Loronzo of the Mist.  Neither of these had anything to do with power, neither involved our council members or dukes with any regularity, but both were interesting (and entertaining).

I find that trying to get involved in political roleplay and communications is extremely hard, since so much of it happens behind closed doors that even if you do try to get involved, you are so ignorant of the political situation that all you can do is make your character appear similarly ignorant.  Whereas things irrelevant to politics and power are easier for everyone in the realm, newbies included, to be involved with.  And being light-hearted doesn't mean you have to be being silly like fighting off badgers let loose by elves.

---

As a new player (again) now, I'm back to finding that there are very few messages of any kind to read that aren't automated ones, and fewer still that offer any sort of interactive opportunities.  I don't think it's because everyone just logs in, does nothing but click a button, and then logs out again.  Because when I message one of the senior realm members personally, I often get a good reply.  I think it's because so many of our more active, better roleplayers are in senior positions, and they then only message and roleplay with other people in senior positions, so that all the more interesting messages are hidden from the view of a normal boring knight.

A few do provide something entertaining, and that's great.  Some are really read-only as a fair number involve senior people loving/hating/etc each other in private, and a very few are easier to interact with either then, or at a later date.  But others will go for weeks without ever messaging realm-wide which I think is a shame.

So - a plea to rulers/dukes/councils or even people who only ever message their elite army or their lord-comms-group - if you're sending off ten goodly messages in a week, make at least one of them realm-wide and preferably non-private and non-political, whether it's sparking off something new, or continuing some other realm-wide roleplay that's already happening.  Even if it's just inviting everyone to your fortress for a banquet or writing your duke into a mild predicament that another knight could come and join.

I try to do this myself, even if I'm the only one posting and even if I get no replies (so apologies if you're sick of 90% of realm-wide non-automated messages being from me!) as after a while I trust people will become more familiar with my character and more confident with their characters interacting.  Will see how it goes, but for now my optimistic hat is on and I'll keep on trying until the OOC messages turn up to tell me to shut it  :)   It's either that, or go for the method of trying to powergame your way into a position of high power just in order to have something interesting to do/say, which I am trying very hard to avoid.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: August 01, 2011, 05:53:38 AM »
Psymann, I couldn't agree more.

There is also a problem I have noted, which I suspect has something to do with the Estates system, that people are always seeking nobles, but they are seeking /knights/, not other kind of nobles. While the gameplay of the knights is much lighter, and likely, as Psymann just said, they are completely ignorant of whatever is happening politically (both internally and externally), not having any say in it even if they'd discover what's going on.

I've invited several players, and it's a little bit frustrating telling them that the only things they can do at the beginning is accepting and enlarging their estates, and moving to the capital to recruit. They'll only get sent scout reports, or similar semi-automatic messages, and little more than that, being all the rest of the political, administrative and diplomatic work done in upper closed groups. Not that good for retention. I feel that being a knight should be something you'd choose in order to play the game in a light-weight mode, not spending much time and work on it, not a position you are forced to have in large scale, an army of servants. I can see the appeal to multi-accounting that way. :/
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: August 03, 2011, 09:43:16 PM »
Not sure if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick here, but there are two sorts of 'making things happen':
1) Things happen that cause battles to be fought, regions to be won and lost, rulers to be overthrown, generally politically motivated
2) Things that give you something interesting to read and react to other than automated turn-change messages, that give interesting roleplay opportunity and some memorable moments

Trying to do (1) does fit your definition.  But trying to do (2) does not.  Having just returned to see Battlemaster after three years away, the things I most remember from my previous time here were the light-hearted, frivolous-but-not-silly roleplays we had in Falasan's Black Army, surrounding the impossible game of Skat, and the mysterious lure of Loronzo of the Mist.  Neither of these had anything to do with power, neither involved our council members or dukes with any regularity, but both were interesting (and entertaining).

it is nothing unusual that two of us have somewhat different view of same thing,  Akutagava made that global wisdom.

in my mind two things you separate are interconnected. if you look once more in my previous posts, you'll see that i expressed opinion that what you describe at (2) cannot draw attention for too long if there is nothing that fits (1)

maybe my wording is not lucky, both (1) and (2) has its value, but without (1) other things do not work for too long. i even stated something like that already.

I find that trying to get involved in political roleplay and communications is extremely hard, since so much of it happens behind closed doors that even if you do try to get involved, you are so ignorant of the political situation that all you can do is make your character appear similarly ignorant.  Whereas things irrelevant to politics and power are easier for everyone in the realm, newbies included, to be involved with.  And being light-hearted doesn't mean you have to be being silly like fighting off badgers let loose by elves.

agreed, but again i will repeat my thoughts - if such kind of fun extends for too long without fun your described as (1), things fade away and I saw such thing in some realms. you can make game you described funny literally for months. but without dramatic events on realm level, everything will eventually sink into apathy.
---
As a new player (again) now, I'm back to finding that there are very few messages of any kind to read that aren't automated ones, and fewer still that offer any sort of interactive opportunities.  I don't think it's because everyone just logs in, does nothing but click a button, and then logs out again.  Because when I message one of the senior realm members personally, I often get a good reply.  I think it's because so many of our more active, better roleplayers are in senior positions, and they then only message and roleplay with other people in senior positions, so that all the more interesting messages are hidden from the view of a normal boring knight.

that is because all in power within realm are in unnatural idyllic relationships, as once they reach power balance, nothing can pull them out, i call that too stable realms, and believe that game mechanics should disturb such stability.

A few do provide something entertaining, and that's great.  Some are really read-only as a fair number involve senior people loving/hating/etc each other in private, and a very few are easier to interact with either then, or at a later date.  But others will go for weeks without ever messaging realm-wide which I think is a shame.

they are too safe on their positions, if they are not, they would care to gain respect from as many knights as possible. even if sending you one message a month you would be glad knowing that they need you over one-time setting of estate.

So - a plea to rulers/dukes/councils or even people who only ever message their elite army or their lord-comms-group - if you're sending off ten goodly messages in a week, make at least one of them realm-wide and preferably non-private and non-political, whether it's sparking off something new, or continuing some other realm-wide roleplay that's already happening.  Even if it's just inviting everyone to your fortress for a banquet or writing your duke into a mild predicament that another knight could come and join.

why don't you try to send it, somewhat adopted to game world, in-game? i do it from time to time, and what i hate the most is when ruler does not say the word even after appeal, but some of his lower ranked  loyalists attacks me.

though, you need to know other side of story. rulers are rather weak currently, and those who speak with wider nobility too often, encourage some of very low rank to send them too many intimate questions which do not fit rank difference. that can spoil flavor of ream hierarchy, and judges are currently extremely frightened to do what is their task to do, so sometimes rulers who speak too much only get themselves trouble.

I try to do this myself, even if I'm the only one posting and even if I get no replies (so apologies if you're sick of 90% of realm-wide non-automated messages being from me!) as after a while I trust people will become more familiar with my character and more confident with their characters interacting.  Will see how it goes, but for now my optimistic hat is on and I'll keep on trying until the OOC messages turn up to tell me to shut it  :)   It's either that, or go for the method of trying to powergame your way into a position of high power just in order to have something interesting to do/say, which I am trying very hard to avoid.

that creates frustration after while, wall of silence made by many nobles creates bad feeling. i could only recommend that you try something on duchy or even region level at beginning, to initiate at least minimal conversation and find some friends, sometimes it works much better than sending letters to all.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: August 03, 2011, 09:58:59 PM »
Psymann, I couldn't agree more.

There is also a problem I have noted, which I suspect has something to do with the Estates system, that people are always seeking nobles, but they are seeking /knights/, not other kind of nobles. While the gameplay of the knights is much lighter, and likely, as Psymann just said, they are completely ignorant of whatever is happening politically (both internally and externally), not having any say in it even if they'd discover what's going on.

I've invited several players, and it's a little bit frustrating telling them that the only things they can do at the beginning is accepting and enlarging their estates, and moving to the capital to recruit. They'll only get sent scout reports, or similar semi-automatic messages, and little more than that, being all the rest of the political, administrative and diplomatic work done in upper closed groups. Not that good for retention. I feel that being a knight should be something you'd choose in order to play the game in a light-weight mode, not spending much time and work on it, not a position you are forced to have in large scale, an army of servants. I can see the appeal to multi-accounting that way. :/

well, any marshal or even region lord could make much more explaining knights how many useful tasks they can do from very beginning. i don't agree with what you say to them, that they can only set the estate and move to capital.

they have many things to learn about how to lead their troops, how to be good army troop leaders, how to support region the best, and where they are mostly useful.

they need to know that there is large difference between skilled and unskilled knight. that is job for mentors as well, but every region lord should explain some of that.

though i am fully against situation where those in power are allowed to cement it in too easy way, i am also against idea that knights who still have to learn much should be involved in high politics by giving tham some additional fancy buttons.

kinghts who barely know how to ride a horse, know very little about realm economy, almost nothing about way how politics works to be admited to high politics quickly? that disturbs basic concepts of hierarchy, long-time service, developing career through hard work making it pointless.

i personally believe players would not be impatient to reach high positions if they would know how much knowledge is needed to be learned. some things goes out of mere ignorance - people learn very basic things and than they believe they are ready to take hardest duties. some of them even reach such duties too quickly, and sometimes you will see them completely leaving game in utmost frustration as they had no time to understand how much skills are needed.

i saw guy who is excellent rp-er, spent some months in the realm, but when he was granted lordship, he destroyed the most stable region in the realm doing terrible region work, while being fully convinced that he is game veteran already. not to mention that some come and go from council positions in the same manner.

i believe that had more to do with mentoring system than anything else.if mentors would be given some more in-game weight, people would probably listen them more, and they could affect that much.

more and more players spend months in game while apparently not realizing at all how deep this game is. what is worse for retention than that?...

i believe

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: August 03, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
they have many things to learn about how to lead their troops, how to be good army troop leaders, how to support region the best, and where they are mostly useful.

How do they lead their troops, other than following orders?
How are they good army troop leaders, other than setting the tactics their Marshals issue?
How they support a region the best other than enlarging the estate twice and setting it to what the Lord prefers (Authority of Productivity)?

they need to know that there is large difference between skilled and unskilled knight. that is job for mentors as well, but every region lord should explain some of that.

In leadership skill, you mean? How that knowledge improves their strategy gameplay? None of my characters was told about that, anyway. Frankly, I don't think their superiors want to spend money in them training the skill at the academy, and I wonder if anyone does want that.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: August 03, 2011, 10:56:03 PM »
How do they lead their troops, other than following orders?
How are they good army troop leaders, other than setting the tactics their Marshals issue?

putting gang-bang wars aside, where everyone except gang-banged has excess of resources, they can do much in maintaining their troop morale, paying them at right time, using excess hours to train them, economize with their gold. when to give them some hours of rest, when to use it for training, or for scouting - all that micro-decisions fall on knight. marshals should take care to allow few options within their orders whenever possible. ok, there are marshals or even generals who try to micromanage every single hour of every single man... but than they are the ones who make trouble.

How they support a region the best other than enlarging the estate twice and setting it to what the Lord prefers (Authority of Productivity)?

by civil and police work, courtier work, telling tales etc. region support is never limited to knight's region, much of time there are regions who need more help than their own knights can provide.

good police troop can make serious trouble to infiltrators, whole small game can develop around that.

In leadership skill, you mean? How that knowledge improves their strategy gameplay? None of my characters was told about that, anyway. Frankly, I don't think their superiors want to spend money in them training the skill at the academy, and I wonder if anyone does want that.

i did not mean leadership skills directly, they are developing long-time and to some extent i am glad about that. sending someone to academy just to increase skills is so sterile and artificial, that could be life-time decision of noble, and academy is good to be only sligt support to it.

i ment, for example, about simple precious activity - scouting. good organized scouting can make big, really big difference in strategic things and can be conducted by any knigth.

all the mentioned can make ordinary knight noticeable.

of course - it is leaders responsibility to make new players aware of it. when i mean leaders, i really do not mean rulers only, such role fit very good to marshals, vice-marshals, military council members (for military issues), judges, dukes, bankers (for region work), and, of course, region lords in all matters.

though estate system is announced to be changed, and there are some apparent reasons for that, still many concepts are great.

simply said - if knight is very bored, that could be addressed to his lord firstly.

i agree that ruler should send some realm-wide announcements at least now and than, but the same apply to each and every region lord as regards to his vassals.

sometimes i see region lord abandoned by his knights because he ignores and devalues them. and that is certainly good part of estate system - if you do not put at least some effort in your leadership duties, you do not deserve to be leader, even of 100 population badlands... :D

psymann

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: August 04, 2011, 12:00:09 AM »
Quote from: StueDC
Quote from: psymann

both (1) and (2) has its value, but without (1) other things do not work for too long

I'll agree with that much - it becomes stale if there's no change in realms, both in terms or their size or their council members and region lords.

But I'd also say that (2) is just as important as (1), and just as interesting as (1) - often more so.

I think in terms of 'making stuff happen', there are two sorts of 'things' and we're probably talking about both at once here.

A) Roleplay
B) Mechanics

When I join the game, as a newbie, I can say that there is precious little of either.  And I know that there's meant to be little in a lightweight game, but I mean there's little to do in comparison with other players playing the same game.  Council members, Dukes, Lords - they all have more to do of both these things.

Years ago I moaned for a good while about the fact that simple knights have so little to do in game mechanic terms.  You say they have lots to learn, but this really isn't true, as JPierreD points out.  Every thing you do is determined by your army marshal (your settings, where you travel, whether you loot, hunt or do civil work etc - and doing anything else is considered disobedient).  And one or two things are determined by your lord (estate settings).  There is pretty much Nothing you can do as a simple knight that requires you to turn your brain on.  When I first started, it took me about one day to understand all the options available to me - the wiki is good, I can read, and that's about all there is to it.  I had two knights and one bureaucrat, and it was then a full year before any one of them got any position of any kind other than being a simple knight.  I certainly didn't need a year to learn how to be a knight.

Something I campaigned for back then, and still would love to see now, is more options for simple knights.  Things like a unit setting for your troop that differs for each troop (a bit like their favourite type of entertainment) and affects how they fight - which would be something that a marshal could not just send you instructions for.  Or advanced things you could do with your own estate, or something.

One of the two arguments back then, against that sort of thing, was that "players in high positions don't have much more to click on than simple knights".  Which I still think is untrue, because there are more options, including more influencial options and more though-provoking options, for lords, dukes and particularly council members.  And therefore I'd still love more options for simple knights.  I suspect that's something for another thread though.

The other of the two arguments back then were that "you shouldn't be just wanting to click buttons - it's a roleplay game".  And to a large degree, they were right in that.  It is indeed an RP game, and ever since then I tried harder to do more RP and worry less about buttons.  And I think that's been good.  However, you can only do this if there is some roleplay going on to interact with, otherwise you're just writing a monologue or writing a book.  And that's where we come back to this thread where we need more people to roleplay.  And, for new players, we need some of that roleplay to involve them.

If people have the high positions, with all the buttons to press, they need to give something back to the simple knights by providing something they can roleplay to - because besides roleplay, there is nothing for a simple knight to do.  I still don't agree that this _needs_ to be something that is political and realm-changing - I would say that some of it actively _needs_ not to be political so it's more inclusive for newbies.  But I do agree that if there is never anything political and realm-changing then that's not good either.

i saw guy who is excellent rp-er, spent some months in the realm, but when he was granted lordship, he destroyed the most stable region in the realm doing terrible region work, while being fully convinced that he is game veteran already

Is that a bad thing?  If he was roleplaying his character to be useless, then he probably did the correct thing in-character.  And if he wasn't doing it on purpose, then surely completely destroying your realm's most stable region is a fine event to inspire some roleplay - it is very much 'making something happen', isn't it?

i could only recommend that you try something on duchy or even region level at beginning, to initiate at least minimal conversation and find some friends, sometimes it works much better than sending letters to all

The easiest ways to get interactions is to write personal letters to people, as they feel compelled to reply.  Sadly most people you have reason to write to are those up the chain - your lord, your duke, your marshal, for example - most of whom are involved in political message groups that take more of their attention.  Armies are often the best place as there are lots of knights with nothing better to do, though of course a newbie doesn't have an army for a few days at the start.  The worst armies are the ones full of region lords who just stay in their regions holding court and not talking to anyone, which ironically are usually the 'defensive' armies that newbies are often assigned to at first.

psymann

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: August 04, 2011, 12:13:41 AM »
they can do much in maintaining their troop morale, paying them at right time, using excess hours to train them, economize with their gold. when to give them some hours of rest, when to use it for training, or for scouting - all that micro-decisions fall on knight
by civil and police work, courtier work, telling tales etc. region support is never limited to knight's region, much of time there are regions who need more help than their own knights can provide.

If we're still talking about newbies here, then:

- Maintaining troop morale is rarely an issue - it stays at 100% pretty much all the time unless you do civil work, and then there are two options to get the morale back - paying for lots of entertainment (which you can't afford) or paying for normal entertainment which you do instead.
- Paying them at the right time doesn't really figure.  You have autopayment so they pay themselves.  There is rarely an occasion where you need to be clever about paying them such that you can stay longer in the field, and in general as long as you don't pay them every day, they cost you pretty much the same amount per day on average, I believe.
- When to give them hours of rest: pretty much never.  Doesn't really do anything after all.
- Economising their gold doesn't take much effort: just don't train at the academy and don't buy 100 troops.
- Police work you can't do unless you're a Courtier, which you can't be if you are a newbie
- Courtier work you can't do unless you're a Courtier, which you can't be if you are a newbie
- Telling Tales you can't do unless you're a Hero, which you can't be if you are a newbie
- Region Support is actually just civil work, which you've already mentioned, and you can't swan about to other regions to do some because you have to be where your marshal tells you to be.

That just leaves scouting, training and civil work.  It's simple enough routine:
1) Scout anywhere you have been told to scout and hasn't already been scouted by someone else
2) If you have spare gold and can handle the equipment damage, then train
3) If you can't afford to train or you've been specifically told to prioritise it, do civil work.
4) If you can't afford to train, the region doesn't need civil work, and you've scouted everywhere, rest your troops and save four hours. 
All of these being mindless tasks requiring no thought.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: August 04, 2011, 12:46:10 AM »
Some people actually scorn me when I share rather unimportant stuff realm-wide. I ignore them by sending to all of my continuously growing duchy instead, but some are unfortunately still left out.

A pity some players are too paranoid.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #57: August 04, 2011, 06:32:20 PM »
I disagree that there is little for a knight to do early on. Maybe the first three days, when you are still getting aquainted with your realm, but after that you just need to start sending out messages of your own, joining guilds, perhaps even asking a Marshal to take your character under his wing and act as his tutor.

I'll give you an example. My character Sayuki is less than a month old. In that time, he has derailed the Principality of Zonasa's General as an incompetent, disobeyed orders because he could refit out in Greater Aenilia, charged against a force of Arcaeans single-handedly, reached an agreement with the Marshal of an Arcaean army because of his frustration with the Zonasan General and his own ambition, fed information to Arcaea on Zonasan movements while moving out to meet with an Arcaean lord to change allegiance, changed the course of the Arcaean campaign with said info, was rewarded by the king of Arcaea for his service, and has joined the Pheonix court to jump-start his political career.

You don't even need to turn traitor to make things happen for your knight. Roleplay some rivalry with another noble, ask a Marshal, Lord, or the ruler himself (if he is the type to do so) to tutor you in the ways of leadership. Send a message to a far noble of another realm on a whim and see how he reacts. So many ways to play. If your knight is new, why act logically? Put on the veneer of sanity, then roleplay the times when your true nature shows itself.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #58: August 04, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »
If we're still talking about newbies here, then:

- Maintaining troop morale is rarely an issue - it stays at 100% pretty much all the time unless you do civil work, and then there are two options to get the morale back - paying for lots of entertainment (which you can't afford) or paying for normal entertainment which you do instead.
- Paying them at the right time doesn't really figure.  You have autopayment so they pay themselves.  There is rarely an occasion where you need to be clever about paying them such that you can stay longer in the field, and in general as long as you don't pay them every day, they cost you pretty much the same amount per day on average, I believe.
- When to give them hours of rest: pretty much never.  Doesn't really do anything after all.
- Economising their gold doesn't take much effort: just don't train at the academy and don't buy 100 troops.
- Police work you can't do unless you're a Courtier, which you can't be if you are a newbie
- Courtier work you can't do unless you're a Courtier, which you can't be if you are a newbie
- Telling Tales you can't do unless you're a Hero, which you can't be if you are a newbie
- Region Support is actually just civil work, which you've already mentioned, and you can't swan about to other regions to do some because you have to be where your marshal tells you to be.

That just leaves scouting, training and civil work.  It's simple enough routine:
1) Scout anywhere you have been told to scout and hasn't already been scouted by someone else
2) If you have spare gold and can handle the equipment damage, then train
3) If you can't afford to train or you've been specifically told to prioritise it, do civil work.
4) If you can't afford to train, the region doesn't need civil work, and you've scouted everywhere, rest your troops and save four hours. 
All of these being mindless tasks requiring no thought.

well, it seems we have quite different experiences.

i was playing many hard wars and things you describe are possible only in realms with overwhelming power and wealth. large entertainment, for example, is luxury option in long wars.

setting up region quickly means using each and every hour of your civil work effectively, taking care of morale, and you don't have time to both hold high morale and do lot of civil work.

for courtiership you need as little as 5 prestige points, and i beleive you are still newbie when reaching that.

moreover, if your marshal is constantly telling you how to spend each and every hour, without ever leaving you a choice, as soon as you learn enough, you are ready to oppose his seargent-style commanding. so that is one more game for you.

really, you have many options, and some of my chars live as knights literally for years having enough to do all the time.

first of all, you only need very light rp to be noticed, it is enough that you play your char in sma manner and your char will be recognized.

you can join guilds and religions, and develop parallel careers at the same time. friends you acquire in-game are more worthy than extra buttions - you can develop many campaigns with them - the only condition is that something happens in the realm generally.

you say that you learned all needed in a single day?

i spent three weeks wandering as lunatic, believing that i will learn everything on-the-road.  when i saw that does not work and realized how deep game is, it took me at least one full week of deep wiki study until i grasped what i consider basics.

newbies only need to read wiki and they will find wealth of examples on what is possible in-game, enough to be interested.

interaction gives you most of things... most of leaders have no more than few extra buttons and its use is limited to specific occasions.

as a mentor, one of the most important advices i gave to new knights is that they need to develop their patience, and i can sign that all who accepted that became very notable players, and i see them around after years....

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #59: August 04, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
I disagree that there is little for a knight to do early on. Maybe the first three days, when you are still getting aquainted with your realm, but after that you just need to start sending out messages of your own, joining guilds, perhaps even asking a Marshal to take your character under his wing and act as his tutor.

I'll give you an example. My character Sayuki is less than a month old. In that time, he has derailed the Principality of Zonasa's General as an incompetent, disobeyed orders because he could refit out in Greater Aenilia, charged against a force of Arcaeans single-handedly, reached an agreement with the Marshal of an Arcaean army because of his frustration with the Zonasan General and his own ambition, fed information to Arcaea on Zonasan movements while moving out to meet with an Arcaean lord to change allegiance, changed the course of the Arcaean campaign with said info, was rewarded by the king of Arcaea for his service, and has joined the Pheonix court to jump-start his political career.

You don't even need to turn traitor to make things happen for your knight. Roleplay some rivalry with another noble, ask a Marshal, Lord, or the ruler himself (if he is the type to do so) to tutor you in the ways of leadership. Send a message to a far noble of another realm on a whim and see how he reacts. So many ways to play. If your knight is new, why act logically? Put on the veneer of sanity, then roleplay the times when your true nature shows itself.

And would you have done all of this if you were a new player and not just a new noble?