Author Topic: Discussion on Monsters  (Read 646 times)

Anaris

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on Monsters
« Reply #45: July 13, 2018, 09:32:06 PM »
I would far rather let realms take regions that have a novel status ("demesne" in a previous feature request, or imperial, or however you want to call it), where it  belongs to a realm, but doesn't count against any caps, with the tradeoff of not yielding much. No lord. Maybe knights, or not. Reduced production.

Denser realms would have an advantage, but the game would not place a hard cap that forces successful realms to stop what they are doing.

And that is the gist of what I am planning, though some details are still TBD until after I finish up the project I'm on now. (Name is one of them.)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: July 14, 2018, 11:25:43 AM »
My idea of making takeovers take longer and having regions lose control and go rogue easier was based on the idea that this is a game where lords and nobles are supposed to be powerful.

And visible.  If there are too few nobles in a realm, compared to its size, the realm simply would not look "good" to the peasants.  They would resist being part of the realm.

That might encourage players to band together to make stronger realms.  Or it might not.  Players are notoriously unwilling to give up their small kingdoms and kingships for the greater good.  ;)

I do love Chenier's idea of the Imperial or Protectorate regions.  To make that work, I would suggest that when a region is taken over it become an Imperial region rather than joining a duchy.  And if a region loses its lord and is not given a new lord within...say...a week...it become an Imperial region by default.  The ruler should have the right to hand those out to nobles if he wants, or to keep them as Imperial regions.

I honestly don't know how that would work with the idea of trying to concentrate nobles in a smaller number of closer realms, but I love the idea and think it would be awesome.

Anaris

• BM Dev Team
  • Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: July 14, 2018, 04:13:15 PM »
I honestly don't know how that would work with the idea of trying to concentrate nobles in a smaller number of closer realms, but I love the idea and think it would be awesome.

It goes completely against it, but with the possibility of holding land (however loosely) that you don't need to actually assign Lords and Knights to, it changes the dynamic quite a bit.

I'm hesitant to attempt to apply any particular social/gameplay pressures on top of such a change until we've seen how things start to settle out.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Medron Pryde

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: Yesterday at 08:40:17 PM »
That was the feeling I had as well.

But I still really like the idea.  ;)