Author Topic: Dwilight Anthropology Project  (Read 40851 times)

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight Anthropology Project
« Reply #60: July 23, 2011, 01:13:08 PM »
Not really sure how I feel about a Germanic theme for Maroccidens. Doesn't seem to fit in at all. The weather, climate, and atmosphere have never screamed anything German themed.

Also, why a Berber-like ethnicity?

Pretty much, in my own mind at least (and that's just me, of course), most of Maroccidens has always taken a strong South American/Caribbean feel for me.

I didn't mean for them to be German themed at all although I can see how that wasn't clear. I only meant German tribe-like in the way that their are multiple tribes of a similar culture who sometimes war but sometimes act semi cooperatively (like they did against the Romans somewhat)

I realize their are probably better examples of such communities that's simply the first that came to mind. Obviously the best example is the small Amazonian tribes as Vellos suggested since it's more directly applicable to the marwood's climate and what not. Also, what would a missipi culture look like?
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #61: July 23, 2011, 08:14:46 PM »
Regarding Lurians:

Given the fact that over the course of Lurian history, an estimated 300,000 to 500,000 peasants have perished from war, rogue invasion and famine, I'd say it's an acceptable theory that most, if not all of the native population has long been wiped out in the greater Lurian area, and replaced with the offspring of the colonials. Perhaps a few isolated pockets of natives remain, but the vast majority of people living in Pian en Luries and Luria Nova would be of Caucasian descent (for lack of a better term).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62: July 23, 2011, 08:42:10 PM »
Regarding Lurians:

Given the fact that over the course of Lurian history, an estimated 300,000 to 500,000 peasants have perished from war, rogue invasion and famine, I'd say it's an acceptable theory that most, if not all of the native population has long been wiped out in the greater Lurian area, and replaced with the offspring of the colonials. Perhaps a few isolated pockets of natives remain, but the vast majority of people living in Pian en Luries and Luria Nova would be of Caucasian descent (for lack of a better term).

Same in D'Hara, except with starvation instead of wars.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #63: July 23, 2011, 08:53:17 PM »
Well, the vast majority of casualties in Luria were from starvation as well. Giask alone saw at least 200,000 deaths over the years.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64: July 26, 2011, 01:37:45 PM »
Ok, updated the page: http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Dwilight/Peoples_of_Dwilight
Made the Zuma based on the Aztecs, the Ugykke (Madinean natives) on the Caribbean and the Lurian natives on mediterranean peoples.

If you want to change names and stuff, feel free to do it, but if you can, let us know. There is still a lot to do.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

SirAlexStavrou

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #65: July 26, 2011, 05:31:29 PM »
Itaulondians are pirates. Nothing more to say :P

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66: July 26, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
There are no pirate realms on Dwilight.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #67: July 26, 2011, 07:37:42 PM »
Maybe he doesn't mean *that* type of pirate, Rob >_>

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #68: July 26, 2011, 07:39:33 PM »

As founder of Madina, just to clarify: i fully agree.
Madina is NOT a pirate realm.

Its city is build by sailors of a mutnied ship as a new home and a free trading port.
This atracted many merchants and eventually nobles, who founded a Republic on the island in order to civilize and colonize it.
The Republic was mainly designed by the former captain of these sailors, Abbot, my character, but it is still founded by nobles.

Its peasants look and might act like what you know of pirates and the term is used in relation to Madina to explain this culture but in no way should you see the realm as a bunch of commoners, even though it's nobles are in fact, lets say, a little different... :D
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69: July 27, 2011, 12:05:13 AM »
As founder of Madina, just to clarify: i fully agree.
Madina is NOT a pirate realm.

Its city is build by sailors of a mutnied ship as a new home and a free trading port.
This atracted many merchants and eventually nobles, who founded a Republic on the island in order to civilize and colonize it.
The Republic was mainly designed by the former captain of these sailors, Abbot, my character, but it is still founded by nobles.

Its peasants look and might act like what you know of pirates and the term is used in relation to Madina to explain this culture but in no way should you see the realm as a bunch of commoners, even though it's nobles are in fact, lets say, a little different... :D

And then all the smart sailors and artisans set sail for D'Hara as soon as they could, realizing that there was little sailing to be done by this insular realm.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #70: July 27, 2011, 01:19:04 AM »
And then all the smart sailors and artisans set sail for D'Hara as soon as they could, realizing that there was little sailing to be done by this insular realm.

lolz...non non my brother... All of the smart ones sailed to Melodia, then to Shadovar and then when D'Hara was taken over they went to Terran and then Virovene , founded Thulsoma and then back across the ocean joined Asylon, waged a coup took over the kingdom and then .... hehe
We live lives in beautiful lies...

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #71: July 27, 2011, 02:22:28 AM »

Got a better name for them? In the thread they have been referred as "the pirates", in opposition to "the colonists", so I went for it. I'll probably try to expand it later, but for now I'm working with the feedback I get.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72: July 27, 2011, 02:32:41 AM »
They can be mariners. Or seafarers. Or explorers. Or whatever other nautical term you want to use for people that spend a lot of time on ships. But there are no "pirate" realms on Dwilight.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #73: July 27, 2011, 03:22:32 AM »
They might not be pirates.

But we in Maroccidens damn well view them as pirates. They used to hire out droves of assassins and send'em against us. They rampantly loot lands. They sail in ships with red sails (or so the RPs went). They are ruthlessly individualistic and greedy for gold. Whether it's a pirate-themed realm or not, we in Terran will continue calling them Pirates until they clean up their act, get a reasonable, civilized government, learn to play nice with the neighbors, and apologize for all that nastiness from earlier in their time.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #74: July 27, 2011, 03:48:49 AM »
Ethnically-speaking, Terran is mostly Pirate, with lesser Colonist influence.  :P

Will try to find another term as Pirate, though not that crass. If anyone gets an idea, it would be quite appreciated.