Author Topic: Dwilight Anthropology Project  (Read 40701 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight Anthropology Project
« Reply #90: July 29, 2011, 06:31:32 AM »
Buccaneers would likely suit you, it cover their alleged villainy and their landlubberliness.

"Insular" also has a pejorative connotation.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #91: August 05, 2011, 01:07:52 AM »
i wrote a lot of the everguard stuff... some of it was placeholders but yeah LOL

valkyrjans were a viking ish sort of idea but saxony is okay. as for the unresolved nifel thing, perhaps the king/duke of valkyrja laid claim to the nifel throne?

eddons were supposed to be a mediterranean/north african idea.

i'll expand on my original intentions later

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92: August 05, 2011, 05:18:14 AM »
Oh, great to have you here. Please let me know about what were your ideas, and together with those of Astrum and Summerdale we should be able to reach a consensus.  :)
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #93: August 05, 2011, 04:31:23 PM »
okay
i can still taste gin but let's do this
steppeners is an okay idea, but i would hate for them to be mongol. yes, they come from big plains. guess what else is big plains? france, germany, into poland and central europe. plains don't have to be mongol. i believe there was a mongol homage in that they abandoned a horse based way of life centuries ago, but they were always french/germanic/celtic in my mind.

the valkyrjans were supposed to be nordic ish, an extension of the toren culture we brought with. to reconcile this with the nifel kingdom, perhaps the duchy of valkyrja was greatly powerful and claimed the title of king of nifel and they had wars? some nonsense like that. it's not too far off a saxon culture anyways, but i feel this is a rare case where everguard was actually there (for once!) first, so our rp supercedes the saxon rp in valkyrja. ic my character (one of the original everguard colonists) always had verbal spars with the saxons over how they just magically appeared. perhaps the saxons were an oppressed minority, but not necessarily one who had had a massive kingdom. that's just their own beliefs (the doctrine).
dulbese were supposed to be italian-ish, but i classified them as mariners because that's what they were. kyrjan and dulbese were never supposed to be vastly different and the fact that they were actually very related sub-groups was supposed to come through. which is why they were so goddamn shy of the everguardians marching in, trumpeting the kyrjan culture. and the whole story of how we laid claim to eidulb was precisely that, a story. perhaps. it was definitely within our massive propaganda bubble. and it gave us good claim to the land so we could kick caerwyn out.

eddons were the strange ones. libbid island was always supposed to be safe and a nice place to live, and the people there soft and very distinct. a lot of the ideas were my own kinda randomly mishmashed together, but they were supposed to be the local ethnics LOL where kyrjans were light skinned and resembled the colonizers, eddons were supposed to be "oh dear, who are they?" they were frequently kidnapped as slaves, but were fierce warriors and hated those who came over the oceans. i always liked the cultural fear of corners and edges that they had, i based it on fear of sharp pointy weapons brought from over seas.

the mountain people were supposed to be highly insular and divided. for instance, in the short time my character was baron of mountain of woe, he wrote an rp that the village, with all 200 people, was divided into 3 guilds and if you weren't a guildman you were likely to have your house burned down and be murdered in the street. so, numerous arbitrary divisions based on little more than personal preference are enforced with murder and rape and such. which made them so fun!

another idea of mine is displaced peoples. i was thinking with dwilight being the land of opportunity, that people from far distant realms came here to make new lives, and are now displaced? the only rp i've done of this is people from the south-east island, toren especially. after living in everguard, which was a toren colony, and having it destroyed, they scattered across dwilight to escape the inquisition and now live as mercenaries or farmers or smiths and stuff. i said that they frequently worship the blood stars in a highly heterodox merging with their traditional faith. do displaced people count in this whole dwilight anthropology project?

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #94: August 06, 2011, 07:41:20 PM »
Displaced people certainly count in.

There is a problem of making such vast and different kinds of people in such a small region, that contrasts and creates a micro-world isolated from the rest. It's not very collective/collaborative.

So far we have Mesoccidens+Maroccidens on a Native Central American culture and Candiels Peninsula+Madina+South Fordland in a Native Caribbean culture. That is a huge landmass with quite related culture, with minor differences between ones and the others, allowing for a much more integrated RP.

In contrast, in Everguard you had Nordics, Celtics, Slavics and Mediterraneans, all in one place. You've covered the whole of Europe in a single realm, while six realms (Terran, D'Hara, Barca, Aurvandil, Madina, Fissoa) have two major indigenous cultures, with some minor ones laying around.

My idea is to have a somewhat integrated folklore between the realms, and no realm to be inside its own bubble. But it's up to you what you decide to RP, of course.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #95: August 07, 2011, 02:16:14 AM »
The original Thulsoma would be the only area in the north with a remedial residue of Marrocidden culture in it, because of what little of the culture Glaumring Apasurain would have introduced over his reign. Which would probably have to do with sea culture and foods and different ways of preparing things and possibly even certain cultural events that tie them with Marrociddens. I would also think that the old Thulsoman area may have a bit of Marrocidden immigrants there brought up to work after hearing about a new opportunities in the prosperous eastern continent. Though the population now would be few and most of them probably expelled or exterminated by the xenophobic Saxons that came later.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #96: August 07, 2011, 03:56:15 AM »
Well, how about:

Eddons are related to the whatever is the current islands idea is, or they're part of the maroccidens thing. Event though libidizedd island is really distant from all the other islands. Or they're a small isolate group? $:

Kyrjans are related to saxons and whatever was in the nifel peninsula.

Dulbese are kyjans. kinda. an rp would illustrate their connection.

The plains people are also part of the saxon/nifel peninsula.

So even though my character drew local distinctions in culture as different ethnicities, overall from nifel onwards they're one people. except libidizedd. down to walefishire, not quite grazne, around to aquitain, gaston and darfix and through to that little river bulge under chrysalantis, but not past the river.

so my character was playing the colonizer and saying "oh, they speak a different dialect, they must be a different people!"

Everything works, yes?

and, being of arawak descent myself, the whole caribbean native vs central american native thing is a little iffy. by central american do you mean the related mayan/aztec cultures of mesoamerica? because after that all those other tribes are pretty much the same, down to south america and through the caribbean. you get some weird ones like the yaghan of tierra del fuego, but otherwise it's pretty similar i think.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #97: August 07, 2011, 07:20:42 AM »
I agree, the differences are mostly cultural, rather than physical, but now again, to the early conquerors and their descriptions there seemed to have been more differences. Kinda like your character. It's those stereotypes what I'm using in their descriptions.

Some questions, since I'm fairly new to the game myself:
1) Was the Libbidized Island colonized by anyone before Astrum? I think it was Indirik who said it hadn't been. If such is true, it should come from someone from Astrum their natives' description.
2) Same question about the Mimer Peninsula.

BarticaBoat

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #98: August 07, 2011, 09:22:33 AM »
1. it was claimed and explored by everguard (my character toured the regions a loooong time ago), but colonized by astrum way before we were even close to getting there. we claimed a lot of land but monsters said no.
2. claimed by morek, colonized by morek, nothing to see here folks. i think.

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #99: August 07, 2011, 11:57:35 AM »
2) Same question about the Mimer Peninsula.

Claimed by Morek in principle, Astrum wanted to expand over it as a consequence of their need of food and the presence of Everguard on the western shores, political crisis that led Morek to halt food sales putting Astrum to their knees, final compromise agreed by both parties to let Astrum take it but in the end yield it to the church as an independent entity led by the prophet himself. Hence, corsanctum.

Dustole and Indirik certainly can tell you things in more details.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #100: August 11, 2011, 02:25:32 AM »
Alright, nice to know. Then I guess it would be the people from Astrum or from Corsanctum the ones who should have the final say in who did (and does) the local population look like.

Any idea of such, Peri?

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #101: August 11, 2011, 03:02:40 AM »
Alright, nice to know. Then I guess it would be the people from Astrum or from Corsanctum the ones who should have the final say in who did (and does) the local population look like.

Any idea of such, Peri?

The local populace is extremely fat, with neckbeards, the women even have neckbeards as do the small children.
We live lives in beautiful lies...

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #102: August 11, 2011, 08:24:43 AM »
 ???

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #103: August 11, 2011, 01:49:21 PM »

Any idea of such, Peri?

The penetration of Astrum in the Mimer area was limited, and Corsanctum is more or less the one that grew the peninsula into a well populated region. I'd say it's up to the seconds, perhaps rick (player of hossenfeffer family) may have something to say on this. it was his realm first

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #104: August 11, 2011, 02:21:19 PM »
Seems like nobody has been representing Fissoa (and I just skimmed through the thread for the first time) so I'll offer my opinion on that:

I've always thought of the Madinians as of Illyrian pirates, and I guess that influenced my ideas of Fissoa as well.

Fissoa has somewhat of a similar background to Madina, but is at the same time very different. Yes, our main force is called the Fissoa Privateers, but the resemblance practically stops there. Also, the Grand Duchy is generally not roleplayed as a warm, humid climate like Madina is. The rural regions imply produce wheat, and lush forests border the Palm Sea.

Looking at it, it kinda conflicts with our location and everything. An idea might be to treat the mini-peninsula similar to Spain. Dry land in the centre (the Sea), orange trees in the south. However, the Fissoan people seem to be white, in general, as opposed to the mediterranean olive. My character there is even barbarian-like, though he started his carreer in Myern.

Hell, I'll just ask the realm and see what the others think. Just don't make us copies of Madina. A good mix between Luria and Madina might suffice.