Author Topic: Monikers / Nicknames / Callsigns  (Read 58 times)

Andrew

• M&F's Anaris
  • Administrator
  • Noble Lord
  • Sometimes, With A Bopping Stick
    • View Profile
Monikers / Nicknames / Callsigns
« Topic Start: February 14, 2019, 03:44:13 AM »
Title: Monikers / Nicknames / Callsigns

Summary: Have a proper means to add callsigns, nicknames, monikers, or whatever you want to call them to character names.

Details: This would add a method by which a player can customize the nickname or 'callsign' of their character, having it appear in single quotes between the character and family names.

Benefits: People can add some more flavor to their name, letting them express themselves more.

Possible Downsides/Exploits: People can add some flavor to their name, not necessarily what others call them. It'd also take some coding work, though looking at how names are generated, I don't think it'd be *too* bad. It may allow non-SMA things in SMA environs, not that that can't be fixed with an SMA complaint to the titans. It'd be fairly simple to lock this behind a character lifespan requirement or an honor/prestige requirement or something too.
The music choice of the week is: "幼女戦記 ED / 『Tanya Degurechaff (CV: Aoi Yuki) - Los! Los! Los!』ENG SUB"
Quote from: Tom
I'd consider you crazy. But what else would I do? Keep it?
Quote from: Andrew
I knew a long time ago I was!

Stabbity

• Marketing
  • Mighty Duke
  • Formerly the Himoura Family. Currently ?????????
    • View Profile
Re: Monikers / Nicknames / Callsigns
« Reply #1: February 14, 2019, 05:14:16 AM »
Eh, nicknames and such aren't self given, and follow anyone to give themselves whatever they please would serve to cheapen it. How many "the Greats" or what have you, do we want running around?
Life is a dance, it is only fitting that death sing the tune.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: February 14, 2019, 05:18:58 AM »
Eh, nicknames and such aren't self given, and follow anyone to give themselves whatever they please would serve to cheapen it. How many "the Greats" or what have you, do we want running around?

Agreed, we have this as "known by" with M&F. Very rarely do I see it well used.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Zakky

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: February 14, 2019, 06:22:02 AM »
This was requested before but was refused. At best, I can think of this being used on only one occasion.

On previous rulers by the current ruler but even then it isn't the best use.

JeVondair

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • SWTOR Reapers Guild
« Reply #4: February 15, 2019, 05:29:50 PM »

I had the same reaction. I'm still kicking it around, but so far I don't see a reasonable way to make this a feature besides making it a power of one our all of the ruling council, jointly. Like a bestowed title that stays with the character even if they leave the realm and would appear, as in the OP, in quotations.

That being said, I'm still waiting on religion and guild titles being recognized in messages outside of said religion or guild, so maybe that one first...
"Behavior that's admired is the path to power among people everywhere"

Cameron (Pavus)

• Marketing
  • Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: February 15, 2019, 06:56:08 PM »
I'd like Regnal names, at best. For a ruler to take on a different 'name' for as long as he rules, maybe with the choice to keep it after. But anything else, as far as titles go, I think the playerbase aptly decides in recording history!