Author Topic: Buy limit restrictions  (Read 2756 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Buy limit restrictions
« Topic Start: July 19, 2011, 11:24:28 PM »
"Sell limit must be higher than buy limit, obviously!"

Why, "obviously"? That's stupid. I want my markets to always buy food for 50 gold, and always sell it for 100 gold, as long as I have at least 600 bushels. But the game won't let me put an order to buy for a good sum when I have under a few K bushels (why can't I tell it to *always* buy?) and sell for a crazy sum when I have over 600. Reselling is pure profits, and everyone should be wanting to do something similar.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Buy limit restrictions
« Reply #1: July 19, 2011, 11:28:34 PM »
That is a good point. I don't really see any particular reason you can't be both buying and selling at the same time. That's capitalism in action.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: July 20, 2011, 01:41:20 AM »
"Sell limit must be higher than buy limit, obviously!"

Why, "obviously"? That's stupid. I want my markets to always buy food for 50 gold, and always sell it for 100 gold, as long as I have at least 600 bushels. But the game won't let me put an order to buy for a good sum when I have under a few K bushels (why can't I tell it to *always* buy?) and sell for a crazy sum when I have over 600. Reselling is pure profits, and everyone should be wanting to do something similar.
The only way I've managed to get around this is to set up auto trades for either the buy or sell, and then set my own trades for the other option. Personally I would also like to see this fixed, I have had times when I wanted to buy everything possible and sell so long as I had more then X.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: July 20, 2011, 04:22:35 AM »
Since others agree, could this be moved to feature requests? It'd be really nice if that restriction was lifted.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #4: July 22, 2011, 05:32:34 PM »
You can sell and buy at the same time.

What you can't do is buy for more than you sell. You can't buy for 10 and sell for 5. Your stewards would think you insane, because doing so would mean the first trader who comes along will empty out the treasury.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: July 22, 2011, 06:29:53 PM »
eh... that might not be true...

http://bugs.battlemaster.org/view.php?id=6140

he's trying to set it to buy @35/100 bushels when warehouse has less than 500 bushels and sell @50/100 when warehouse has more than 300 bushels... with auto trade that is.
firefox

cjnodell

« Reply #6: July 22, 2011, 09:06:11 PM »
That was me. I had assumed it was a bug just to discover it was intended behavior. I wanted my region to purchase food as long as there was room in the warehouse (less than 500 bushels) ans sell whenever there were more that 300 bushels. It seemed perfectly logical to me... Turns out that the limiting factor is that a given region can only buy OR sell at any given time.

As I said in the bug report:
"""
I can imagine a situation like:

Sell for 50 when more than 300
Buy for 35 when less than 500

I have 400 bushels of food.

Two caravans come in. One wants to buy and one wants to sell. So I buy the 100 bushels from the selling caravan for 35 gold and then sell 200 bushels to the buying caravan for 100 gold.

Just a thought.
"""

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: July 23, 2011, 12:24:07 AM »
Indeed. What I was trying to set was:

Buy for 50 gold when under 3000 bushels
Sell for 100 gold when over 600 bushels

It wouldn't let me.