Author Topic: Religion and Region relation  (Read 2103 times)

Zakky

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Religion and Region relation
« Topic Start: November 06, 2019, 01:31:33 AM »
If I remember correctly, there was a talk about making people join religion upon creating a character. I think that idea was a good starting point. I think there are few ways to encourage more people to join a religion.

1) Discourage staying as pagan: At the moment, your region becomes unhappy if your ruler believes in something other than what the majority believes in. I'd go one step farther and make peasants despise their lord if the lord stays as a pagan despite the region converting to one of the established religions. Believing in another established religion may irk the peasants a bit but staying as a pagan should be discouraged.

2) Announce holiday or festival: Should boost region's productivity and morale but if the lord's religion and region's religion don't match, it becomes less effective or even worse - something bad might happen due to random religious incidents.

3) When a pagan lord gets appointed/elected to a region, peasants will become unhappy unless the lord joins a religion.

4) Religion in general should be easier to join. I think having a page where you can just select and join one of the established religions would be nice instead of hunting down a temple to do so.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 11:04:56 AM by Zakky »

Gildre

• Mighty Duke
  • If you can't keep up, don't step up.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Region relation
« Reply #1: November 06, 2019, 02:29:44 PM »
I am super in agreement here. The religion game needs a boost.

4) Religion in general should be easier to join. I think having a page where you can just select and join one of the established religions would be nice instead of hunting down a temple to do so.

Very much agree. This will help spread religion across the islands easier. Perhaps it could cost an extra like 10 gold if you aren't at a Temple, for your character to send away for pamphlets and texts?
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations.

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Region relation
« Reply #2: November 09, 2019, 07:11:19 AM »
If I remember correctly, there was a talk about making people join religion upon creating a character. I think that idea was a good starting point. I think there are few ways to encourage more people to join a religion.

1) Discourage staying as pagan: At the moment, your region becomes unhappy if your ruler believes in something else other than what the majority believes in. I'd go one step farther and make peasants despise their lord if the lord stays as a pagan despite the region converting to one of the established religions. Believing in another established religion may irk the peasants a bit but staying as a pagan should be discouraged.

2) Announce holiday or festival: Should boost region's productivity and morale but if the lord's religion and region's religion don't match, it becomes less effective or even worse - something bad might happen due to random religious incidents.

3) When a pagan lord gets appointed/elected to a region, peasants will become unhappy unless the lord joins a religion.

I like these ideas. The paganism thing could potentially backfire with a region lord choosing to try and keep his region religion free. I'd suggest being a pagan lord also incurs a regular prestige penalty. I think the ability to join a religion on char-gen would be a good idea along the same lines as #4. The char-gen page should also tell you the major religions of the realm you join if it doesn't already (if it does I totally missed it last time).

We can also do more with existing mechanics to try and make religion more meaningful. Realms could implement strict laws that say no pagan may be a lord. They could also be sure to mention major religions in the realm descriptions for the char-gen page.