Author Topic: Have dynamic tax rates instead of hard tax rates  (Read 10621 times)

songqu88@gmail.com

lol...just because it happens doesn't mean it's a stable setup.We might see now the whole tradeoffs with those high tax rates. Capitals tend to have more tolerant rates, but even so, going above 15%? Dang, some people are more greedy than initially estimated.

I don't know what Chenier's running, but for Bedwyr, he definitely deserves whatever consequences result (meaning both sides, increased income and stats penalties). Teach you to say "Meh, screw it" when the game under no uncertain circumstances says it considers 10% to be normal. lol

And isn't the sudden drop realistic? I like it. It's like in the real world, you can keep pissing the people off for a while until they finally have enough and start causing a ruckus.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing.  I just think it's interesting how the cycle works.

And when you're a struggling realm on Dwilight or on Invasion-era BT, you need every coin you can get.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

songqu88@gmail.com

And with it comes the realistic consequences of raising taxes. Hey, realism, right? Now if only we could implement an inflation mechanic...lol

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
But, again, a region with major troubles. Starvation causing low morale, etc. Of course tax tolerance goes down.

I said that food ran out only *after* the stat drops, which I had already stabilized by then. It had nothing to do with the damage to my region, I just wanted to mention that today the stocks are out, so that a dev doesn't go check up my regions and say "duh, it's 'cause you are out of food!".
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
lol...just because it happens doesn't mean it's a stable setup.We might see now the whole tradeoffs with those high tax rates. Capitals tend to have more tolerant rates, but even so, going above 15%? Dang, some people are more greedy than initially estimated.

I don't know what Chenier's running, but for Bedwyr, he definitely deserves whatever consequences result (meaning both sides, increased income and stats penalties). Teach you to say "Meh, screw it" when the game under no uncertain circumstances says it considers 10% to be normal. lol

And isn't the sudden drop realistic? I like it. It's like in the real world, you can keep pissing the people off for a while until they finally have enough and start causing a ruckus.
... you run 22% tax rates? That's insane. I never run more than 15% or so, and that's only when I desperately need cash.

Maybe the problem is that ya'll are running double the tax rate the game recommends as normal.

Normal, as in average for all region with 100% estates (no more or less)? Means you can run higher in the capital and lower on the fringes. My tolerated tax rates seem to go over and under 10% regularly.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
If you think about the circumstances though, I've never seen Askileon short on knights. Its the capitol of a realm, and thus doesn't suffer any distance penalties. With full support, (or most likely more than full estate support) you could potentially run very high taxes without an issue.

It does give me the idea thought that maybe I'm running taxes too low in my own capitol city on AT. I've kept taxes at a constant 14% for the entire time I've been a duke without any problems. If a well covered capitol can support in the 20%'s perhaps its time to raise it after all.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Do bear in mind that PeL is a fairly small realm at the moment, and I babysit the city with an Elder Priest of the biggest religion in the city and fairly high Oratory skills.  But yes, I can run 18% with no difficulty whatsoever, and can usually manage into the twenties when someone invests.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Silverfire

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Very true, on the other hand, Coria is approximately the same size as PeL, with maybe a region or two more, and my character has nothing better to do except to sit in the city and watch for invaders.

On the actual thread topic, I would agree that having a 2nd option for region management would be a good idea for those who want to put less time into it. Those of us with more time can babysit settings to maximize stuff, but a simple system should still be able to be rewarding for little effort.

songqu88@gmail.com

Less effort, less reward. That way we keep it fair for the people who do put in the effort.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Very true, on the other hand, Coria is approximately the same size as PeL, with maybe a region or two more, and my character has nothing better to do except to sit in the city and watch for invaders.
There are so many differences between the two that the comparison is meaningless. I can count at least 5 or 6 major differences just off the top of my head that make comparing acceptable tax rates between PeL and Coria impossible.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
On the actual thread topic, I would agree that having a 2nd option for region management would be a good idea for those who want to put less time into it.
Not necessary at all. Don't want to have to deal with it often? Then drop your tax rate a few percent. Then just check your region every few days just to make sure nothing catastrophic has happened.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Less effort, less reward. That way we keep it fair for the people who do put in the effort.

As long as it's reasonable, I wouldn't mind that. It shouldn't be so good as to mean that it's stupid to not use it, after all.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Not necessary at all. Don't want to have to deal with it often? Then drop your tax rate a few percent. Then just check your region every few days just to make sure nothing catastrophic has happened.

What's fun in checking on a daily basis if the tax tolerance for your region was recalculated over TC?

Unless taxes are lowered to a point where the income is pitiful, the game could still give you nasty surprises, forcing you to pay the same amount of attention and spend the same amount of time whether you are running normal taxes or high taxes.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
I have run 13% tax rates in Chesney without change now for probably a year. I don't even read daily region reports. I don't use religion to manipulate (aside from the fact that I'm the same faith as the majority). I don't regularly hold court. I don't regularly have courtier help. I don't have perfect estate support.

I have 100% morale and loyalty and 92% production, and it's stable. If I hold court at least once every 3 or 4 days I'll maintain those stats.

13% is not a stupidly low tax rate. It's above what the game says is "normal."

I guess if I consistently held court, had a courtier around, had full estates, and used religious tools, I could probably run a higher rate; maybe 17 or 18%. But that seems like a lot of work. I play Battlemaster. Not Region Maintenance Master.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I don't bother checking Libidizedd more than once or twice a week, if I even remember that. But it runs just fine without me doing much of anything at all. And I don't even have 100% estate coverage. But that's probably because I'm not trying to run some insane tax rate.

If you have to check daily to make sure that your region is running properly, then you're running too high of a tax rate. Remember, the baseline "normal" tax defined by the game, before any modifications, is 10%. Anything above 10% is higher than normal.