Author Topic: WAR  (Read 142094 times)

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
Re: WAR
« Reply #285: September 19, 2011, 09:26:33 PM »
1 interesting thing about 5 ranged sf.

it can move and shoot in the same round, so you sort of don't lost a whole round if target is out of range.

that said... why did i shoot at something 6 range?! order of text is 7 apart,... i move, i shoot, he moves

(battle report in bug tracker.. for those who want to look at numbers... but basically 250 extra dmg in the 2 rounds)

All ranged units can do this now, or at least I have observed normal archer units doing it, so I assume this extends to MI as well. Which could make MI dramatically more useful by the way. Or at least it would if you could somehow get them to advance just like infantry. And I mean, why shouldn't they? I always pictured them as being like early Roman infantry, equipped with javelins which they hurl at the enemy while they are charging at them.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #286: September 19, 2011, 09:48:56 PM »
they can? there i was thinking it's sf and mi only. doh
firefox

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #287: September 19, 2011, 10:29:59 PM »
Looting bugs are killing me.  >:(
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #288: September 19, 2011, 11:43:37 PM »
Looting bugs are killing me.  >:(

I know. Loose in the heart of Riombara and nary a thing you can do...

Of course if looting was on, Fronen would probably have lost Jyl and Xhagus by now and be a lot more ready to fold up than it currently is.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #289: September 20, 2011, 02:28:17 AM »
All ranged units can do this now, or at least I have observed normal archer units doing it, so I assume this extends to MI as well. Which could make MI dramatically more useful by the way. Or at least it would if you could somehow get them to advance just like infantry. And I mean, why shouldn't they? I always pictured them as being like early Roman infantry, equipped with javelins which they hurl at the enemy while they are charging at them.

I thought this only worked for MI, of which ranged SF are a subset.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Geronus

• Honourable King
  • Dum dee dum dee dum
    • View Profile
« Reply #290: September 20, 2011, 05:00:34 AM »
I thought this only worked for MI, of which ranged SF are a subset.

I have definitely seen archers do it:

4   D   Pinpointed Stings   Rophlock   Riombara   90 Arch   skirmish     874           

Bucellarii (1) fire on Ru's Mercenaries (6), scoring 217 hits.
Pinpointed Stings (4) move closer to get better shots.
Pinpointed Stings (4) fire on Bucellarii (1), scoring 230 hits.

Short Bows (7) move closer to get better shots.
Short Bows (7) fire on Bucellarii (1), scoring 164 hits.
Total ranged hits suffered: Attackers: 394, Defenders: 217
Knights of Grehk 001 (3), Ru's Mercenaries (6), Wooden Swordsmen (9), Three's Company (8), Rine's elite swordmen (5) and d'Serrai Household Guards (2) advance towards the enemy.

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #291: September 20, 2011, 08:34:02 AM »
I know. Loose in the heart of Riombara and nary a thing you can do...

Of course if looting was on, Fronen would probably have lost Jyl and Xhagus by now and be a lot more ready to fold up than it currently is.

Actually we (Melhed) haven't even tried to loot Fronen lands and wasn't actually aware that this doesn't work. We were just looking for a fight to keep Too Much Peace at bay...

TMP is naaasty...
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #292: September 20, 2011, 05:37:45 PM »
The North and Rio can still do TOs.

We can't do !@#$.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #293: September 20, 2011, 05:44:23 PM »
We tried to TO Lopa. What's preventing you from TOing Kuugl?

I mean, I agree that looting is needed here, but it affects everyone.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #294: September 20, 2011, 06:01:21 PM »
We tried to TO Lopa. What's preventing you from TOing Kuugl?

I mean, I agree that looting is needed here, but it affects everyone.

Because Kuugl is not adjacent to Fheuv'n, for one?

Enweil's food and gold supply are safe, looting it wouldn't seriously hurt it. Riombara's food supply, on the other hand, isn't. We would have burned a lot of food and lowered production in these food-producing regions were it not for the bug.

Tan dSerrai

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #295: September 20, 2011, 09:35:45 PM »

Enweil's food and gold supply are safe, looting it wouldn't seriously hurt it. Riombara's food supply, on the other hand, isn't. We would have burned a lot of food and lowered production in these food-producing regions were it not for the bug.

Nope. If looting would have been possible I would have sent a larger part of the army faster after your remnants. But we could be sure of your chivalry and so were able to take our time   ;)

But honestly if my character would not have sworn to let none escape, I as player was near to offer you safe conduct. Moving your surviving attack force south /into/ Riombara was a brave move - and I cannot remember ever seeing an army cut off so far from safety with so little hope. Impressive to have kept most of your force together.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #296: September 21, 2011, 12:49:41 AM »
Nope. If looting would have been possible I would have sent a larger part of the army faster after your remnants. But we could be sure of your chivalry and so were able to take our time   ;)

But honestly if my character would not have sworn to let none escape, I as player was near to offer you safe conduct. Moving your surviving attack force south /into/ Riombara was a brave move - and I cannot remember ever seeing an army cut off so far from safety with so little hope. Impressive to have kept most of your force together.

What I meant was that if you loot Lopa or Gorin, Enweil's overall gold output won't be seriously affected, as most of their regions are beyond what you could reach and there were enough troops in the cities to ward off an attack.

I too, though, am surprised as how well the army did past Fwuvoghor, mobility rates to get there had not been as good as during the Nothoi expeditions.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #297: September 24, 2011, 09:22:16 PM »
So... Melhed just signed peace with Fronen. They'll get Jyl and will refuse to let any enemy of Fronen's travel through their lands. Basically it's a pathetic attempt of trying to save Fronen.. Or an excellent attempt to drag all of us down in their spiral of peace of boredom.

They remind me of a kid that keeps on whining he wants to play the game the other kids are playing, then when they let him in, he breaks the toy.

Respect for Melhed? - (add big number here)

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #298: September 24, 2011, 09:29:07 PM »
So... Melhed just signed peace with Fronen. They'll get Jyl and will refuse to let any enemy of Fronen's travel through their lands. Basically it's a pathetic attempt of trying to save Fronen.. Or an excellent attempt to drag all of us down in their spiral of peace of boredom.

They remind me of a kid that keeps on whining he wants to play the game the other kids are playing, then when they let him in, he breaks the toy.

Respect for Melhed? - (add big number here)

Pathetic? More like excellent diplomacy. Do you realize that this makes it infinitely easier for Fronen to defend? After I (Katrina) secede Jyl, Fronen will no longer need to deal with two fronts. They can put all their power between Dyomoque and Wudenkin.

So you're pissed Fronen got a one-up and is actually fighting back rather than handing over THREE duchies to their enemies? It was the Northern Alliance's fault this happened in the first place. During the peace treaty talks, the Northern Alliance made it obvious that after all regions in the treaty were handed over, Fronen would be allowed to continue to war with Melhed as long as neither realm was destroyed. AKA they used Melhed as bait.

So no, I don't see Melhed as a little kid "breaking the toy", but rather kicking dust in the eyes of the other kids and going home.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #299: September 24, 2011, 09:54:58 PM »
Yes I believe I realize the implications of the treaty... ??? and I know that the Northern Alliance's treaty was risky for isolating Melhed (even though they isolated themselves). Geronus played it excellently.

Melhed is still a little kid breaking the toy for it though. Their involvement in this war has been nothing short of pathetic.  6 years of peace and then they do this... it is clever and a huge help for Fronen but this has been without a doubt the most pathetic little war I've seen a realm "fight" in 8 years of BM. And Melhed /deserves/ to be scorned for it.