Author Topic: The people here do not like being ruled by us.  (Read 13183 times)

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
well... that would make sense, insofar as loyalty is the same thing as sympathy.

court and other stuff can only influence sympathy to your own realm (ie.. loyalty)...  and not the others.
firefox

egamma

well... that would make sense, insofar as loyalty is the same thing as sympathy.

court and other stuff can only influence sympathy to your own realm (ie.. loyalty)...  and not the others.

What?? you mean there's a rational explanation for a game designed to simulate the real world?

Madness!

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Except that you figure that people that are 100% happy, 100% loyal, and not having any seditious thoughts would not "dislike being ruled by us". A better wording of "would prefer to be ruled by another" would make sense.

I'll check that out see if it makes any sense... As an ambassador, I could try to fix this, if it really is the case.

If it is accurate, I can't believe this was coded in before ambassadors were even put in. It's kinda douchebaggy (sorry to whoever did it) to implement such a harsh mechanism over a variable players have no control over. Priests hardly count, as their loyalty tools are pretty awful.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Except that you figure that people that are 100% happy, 100% loyal, and not having any seditious thoughts would not "dislike being ruled by us". A better wording of "would prefer to be ruled by another" would make sense.

If you can show me evidence of this message happening when your region is at 100% morale and 100% loyalty, I will fix the bug that causes it.

But I very much doubt that you can.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
I unfortunately don't have a record of when the stats were at what levels. I will try to bring them back up when I return to test things a bit.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Hmm, I only just realised that I counted 17 cases of 'the people dislike being ruled by us' but some days it wasn't worded that way. Some days it said 'the people do not like being ruled by us.'

Looking at it more closely, not like turned up 8 times in the beginning of the month. After that 9 cases of dislike. The different wording suggests one of these effects is more powerful than the other. I would guess the latter is more powerful given the dire straits Alowca was in. But 'dislike' is just a way of shortening 'do not like' in my mind. They mean one and the same thing.

Chenier's right, we could do with some rephrasing somewhere. Dislike and despise maybe? Something that makes it clear. You know, just like you have distance from capital makes anarchists prosper and distance from capital makes anarchists prosper greatly?

(Can you believe I hardly knew any of these distinctions existed until a week or so a go? >.<)

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Okay, so the dictionary definition of dislike can mean 'a feeling of distaste'. When you look at it like that, 'do not like' seems much more concrete and definitive. A step above dislike. But that really doesn't come across at first glance. It's not obvious at all.

Other suggestions for a change in wording:

The people here detest being ruled by us.
The people here loathe being ruled by us.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
There's already a "hate being ruled by us" in addition to the previously mentioned ones.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
I have to ask, is it also influenced by immigration?  Say Krimml in EC was depopulated drastically.  With the immigration code as is, it'd fill up with people from neighboring regions.  If the majority were Westmoorian rather than Fontanese, would that affect loyalty?  Is the code the in depth?

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
My serfs are, go figure, in love with Sint.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
I have to ask, is it also influenced by immigration?  Say Krimml in EC was depopulated drastically.  With the immigration code as is, it'd fill up with people from neighboring regions.  If the majority were Westmoorian rather than Fontanese, would that affect loyalty?  Is the code the in depth?
No.

But that is something I would really love to see for religions.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Adriddae

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
No.

But that is something I would really love to see for religions.

I'd like to see it with realm loyalty too. It could be viable strategy to exterminate a population and then repopulate it with your own people to have better loyalty.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
There's already a "hate being ruled by us" in addition to the previously mentioned ones.

How about:

The people here grumble at being ruled by us / The people here dislike being ruled by us / The people here hate being ruled by us

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
How about:

The people here grumble at being ruled by us / The people here dislike being ruled by us / The people here hate being ruled by us
[/quote

That sounds pretty close to what currently exists.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
You meet with a group of minor nobility known for keeping abreast of local events in Pahk for 2 hours and manage to learn the following from your talk:

The locals are deeply devoted to Imperskoe Viys'ko iz Fheuv'na, and are bursting with pride to call it their home.
    The locals are very loyal to Enweil, and would be happy to belong to such a realm.
    The locals are very insular, and hate those from realms they don't know.

Pahk: Lack of knights reduces region control. The local people enjoy the low tax rate. The people here do not like being ruled by us. (...)

The game is telling me two extremely contradictory messages there...