Author Topic: The people here do not like being ruled by us.  (Read 13182 times)

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
so far i could understand it, the mentioned message is actually anticipation of what will happen next day rather than consequence, so it is giving you warnings in advance.

how to deal with causes? i believe Thunthorn offered best explanation. I would add to it that I assume there is something like memory of peasants, they remember some actions for long time and only long time of hard work can change it.

the vice-versa, accumulation of region work should remove this problem for a while.

the other factor that affect things is relative quality of region stats compared to neighboring regions, similarly to satisfaction with taxes level, which depends much on neighbor's taxes.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
The game is telling me two extremely contradictory messages there...

No, the game is telling you that your people have two extremely contradictory loyalties. That's probably the highest sympathy you can have to a realm you don't belong to right there. That tension of divided loyalties thus leads to Pahk experiencing the mildest expression of displeasure (do not like) to your realm. The most simple and elegant solution to resolving those conflicting loyalties would be to denounce/bad mouth Enweil.

I think (hope?) I'm starting to get this system.

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
No.

But that is something I would really love to see for religions.
I'd like to see it with realm loyalty too. It could be viable strategy to exterminate a population and then repopulate it with your own people to have better loyalty.

I'd like to see it for both religion and loyalty/sympathy as well.  Much like how the US gained control of Mexican/Spanish lands during the early to mid 1800s.  Yay colonization.

Any idea how hard would it be to code? :/

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
No (...)

Sorry? "The locals are deeply devoted to Imperskoe Viys'ko iz Fheuv'na, and are bursting with pride to call it their home" and "The people here do not like being ruled by us" are *not* contradictory? There is no contradiction at all between bursting with pride about one's government and not liking being ruled by it? No contradiction at all?

If that's not a contradiction, then I don't know what on earth is.

Anaris, how does this code work? You seemed to hint that this code only kicks in if loyalty is higher for another realm than for your own. Clearly, bursting with pride is higher than very loyal. You said to come back if I saw that the dislike message was being shown when loyalty was best for my realm than for others. So I have. Is this a bug?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Anaris, how does this code work?

Not quite like you think.

Is this a bug?

Not so far as I can tell.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
(I would like to start this by saying I have not looked at the relevant code)

Tim said if the message showed up at 100% loyalty and 100% morale, it was a bug.  I'm going to assume from that diplo report that the loyalty was 100% or close enough to make no difference.  What was morale like, though?
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
(I would like to start this by saying I have not looked at the relevant code)

Tim said if the message showed up at 100% loyalty and 100% morale, it was a bug.  I'm going to assume from that diplo report that the loyalty was 100% or close enough to make no difference.  What was morale like, though?

"Joyful", whatever the hell that means.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

psymann

• Knight
    • View Profile
Sorry? "The locals are deeply devoted to Imperskoe Viys'ko iz Fheuv'na, and are bursting with pride to call it their home" and "The people here do not like being ruled by us" are *not* contradictory? There is no contradiction at all between bursting with pride about one's government and not liking being ruled by it? No contradiction at all?

This almost sounds like one of those Lateral Thinking puzzles.  And if it were one of those, I would be asking:

1) "The people here do not like being ruled by us" - Who are "us"?  The realm?  The government?  Council Members?  The local lord?  The local knights?
2) "The people here do not like being ruled by us" - Who are "the people here"?  Those in Pehk?  Those in Pehk and surrounding areas?  Those in the Duchy of Iato?

It would, for example, not be contradictory to say "The people here in Pehk do not like being ruled by Lord Scufflebottom, even though they are bursting with pride to be part of a realm with a comically long name".  Or to say "The people here in the Duchy of Iato do not like being ruled by a realm with such a long name, because although the people of Pehk think it's amusing and fantastic, the majority of people in the rest of the duchy just think it's a silly name invented by a ruler who wanted to see how long and unpronouncable a realm name he could make without being protested out of office".

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
This almost sounds like one of those Lateral Thinking puzzles.  And if it were one of those, I would be asking:

1) "The people here do not like being ruled by us" - Who are "us"?  The realm?  The government?  Council Members?  The local lord?  The local knights?
2) "The people here do not like being ruled by us" - Who are "the people here"?  Those in Pehk?  Those in Pehk and surrounding areas?  Those in the Duchy of Iato?

It would, for example, not be contradictory to say "The people here in Pehk do not like being ruled by Lord Scufflebottom, even though they are bursting with pride to be part of a realm with a comically long name".  Or to say "The people here in the Duchy of Iato do not like being ruled by a realm with such a long name, because although the people of Pehk think it's amusing and fantastic, the majority of people in the rest of the duchy just think it's a silly name invented by a ruler who wanted to see how long and unpronouncable a realm name he could make without being protested out of office".

"Us" is plural. It's therefore obviously not the lord. That message is also sent realm-wide, so it would be inappropriate to use this vocabulary if it means anything other than "we, the realm".

Attempts at humor when trying to understand contradictory game mechanics forcing me and other players I play with to waste time on maintenance instead of fighting does not amuse me.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile

Looking at the precise language and trying to suss further meaning out of it is not likely to be terribly fruitful at the moment.

Gather some more stats, and see what patterns emerge.  You clearly don't have nearly enough datapoints yet.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
funny thing i saw when looting... "the people of region X now hates your realm" or something to that effect.
firefox