Author Topic: The people here do not like being ruled by us.  (Read 13213 times)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
How does this work? What triggers it? What's the purpose of this apparently random maintenance time-sink? Is there any way to make it stop?

My region is fed, it's not really far from the capital, it has a knight, proper estates covering authority, they are happy about low taxes, and stats still drop because of this thing. It really feels like the game doesn't want me to do anything else than region maintenance, these days...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
I see it generally happen when Loyalty is low. What are the Region's Stats? Any other things we need to know? Has it been recently taken?

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The people here do not like being ruled by us.
« Reply #2: August 01, 2011, 10:31:51 AM »
There is some hidden stats on regions in the game and this is one of them. Popularity drops when you hold harsh courts, brutal and hostile (?) takeovers and when your realm loots the region or any adjacent region. Presumably there are  other factors that involve it as well.

It can be repaired (slowly) by civil work in the region, festivals in the duchy and I think by holding just and perhaps also merciful courts. Diplomats and courtiers can probably be helpful as well but I don't really know about them...
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)

Nosferatus

• Testers
  • Mighty Duke
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 01, 2011, 11:03:22 AM »
There is some hidden stats on regions in the game and this is one of them. Popularity drops when you hold harsh courts, brutal and hostile (?) takeovers and when your realm loots the region or any adjacent region. Presumably there are  other factors that involve it as well.

It can be repaired (slowly) by civil work in the region, festivals in the duchy and I think by holding just and perhaps also merciful courts. Diplomats and courtiers can probably be helpful as well but I don't really know about them...

new noble chars, advies, priests and diplomats can see how the local populance views certain realms.
It's not the same as loyalty i believe but works similiar and the locals view does influence loyalty i think.

Experiment a little with diplomats changing view of your realm positivley and see if it goes away.
I have the same in Madina and will try it to.
Formerly playing the Nosferatus and Bhrantan Family.
Currently playing the Polytus Family in: Gotland, Madina, Astrum, Outer Tilog

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 01, 2011, 04:51:52 PM »
No looting, regions we've had for quite some time, no harsh courts, stats were at great levels when it started, still at tolerable levels.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 01, 2011, 05:45:54 PM »
There is some hidden stats on regions in the game

This is true.

and this is one of them.

This is not.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 02, 2011, 03:55:57 AM »
Is this mechanic random?

And what does it contribute to the game? It doesn't feel like something that we can actively trigger in an enemy realm, so it sounds like maintenance work for the sake of maintenance work. And it is reducing actual war frequencies...

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 02, 2011, 04:15:22 AM »
Is this mechanic random?

No.

And what does it contribute to the game?

It is telling you what the problem with the region is.

And it's more obvious than you think.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 02, 2011, 04:17:30 AM »
And what does it contribute to the game?

To clarify a little further:

"The people here hate/do not like being ruled by us" is not a separate mechanic. It is a description of something that goes on in regions.

The devs are still working out what mechanics should be simply revealed to the players, and what should be left for the players to work out by observation.  Honestly, knowing how it works, this one could easily be understood by observation, if people gathered the data available to them, looked at it, and stopped proposing crazy theories.
Timothy Collett

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 02, 2011, 04:38:24 AM »
To clarify a little further:

"The people here hate/do not like being ruled by us" is not a separate mechanic. It is a description of something that goes on in regions.

The devs are still working out what mechanics should be simply revealed to the players, and what should be left for the players to work out by observation.  Honestly, knowing how it works, this one could easily be understood by observation, if people gathered the data available to them, looked at it, and stopped proposing crazy theories.

For anyone interested in blowing apart the mystery, here's 30 consecutive days worth of reports from Alowca whilst it was in dire straits last month. 'The people here do not like being ruled by us' turned up 17 times:

Trials of Alowca#Raw Reports

Head up to Daily Reports on the same page to see how many times each separate daily factor occurred during the month.

You can ignore the guff I've written around most the stats. I don't have a clue really. It served it's purpose just fine as proof that Alowca is far too messed up for her deterioration to be the lord's fault alone and that's all I cared about really >.<

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
Hmmm... I think I worked it out
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Hmmm... I think I worked it out

If you're not just putting us on, then please share.
Timothy Collett

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
If you're not just putting us on, then please share.

Indeed.

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
At the very least, I deserve to be told, surely? I did collect the data :-P

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
I'll need to collect data to prove it, but my suspicion is that it occurs when loyalty to another realm is higher than loyalty to the controlllng realm.
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus