Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

Class Restrictions

Started by cjnodell, August 04, 2011, 09:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jens Namtrah

Quote from: Shizzle on August 09, 2011, 12:03:39 PM
So your character is General, and /follows/ the orders? And never gets to fighting anyhow? And on top of that you're at war?? Lol :D

Though I agree that they need to be reviewed. Perhaps the class restrictions should be tied to the Player, not to the Character.

He just became General, and we have an absolute dictator who makes all - and I mean ALL - decisions. Will prolly do something about it soon, but enjoying my summer at the moment :-)

^ban^

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure many (most? all?) of the class restrictions are in place to reduce the impact of large-scale multicheating.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Chenier

Quote from: Shizzle on August 09, 2011, 12:03:39 PM
So your character is General, and /follows/ the orders? And never gets to fighting anyhow? And on top of that you're at war?? Lol :D

Though I agree that they need to be reviewed. Perhaps the class restrictions should be tied to the Player, not to the Character.

lol, that must be the tamest war ever.  ;D

I guess it's probably a long-distance war for you or something.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jens Namtrah

Quote from: Chénier on August 11, 2011, 12:02:01 AM
lol, that must be the tamest war ever.  ;D

I guess it's probably a long-distance war for you or something.

No, we just spend all our time looting and fighting peasant battles or small scale ones. Shouldn't say he isn't ever in battles, just not ones that earn any honor. Our Ally seems to do most of the real warring

Chenier

Quote from: Jens Namtrah on August 11, 2011, 12:35:05 AM
No, we just spend all our time looting and fighting peasant battles or small scale ones. Shouldn't say he isn't ever in battles, just not ones that earn any honor. Our Ally seems to do most of the real warring

You can gain honor in looting.

Also, when you have little honor, unless you vastly overwhelm the enemy you still gain h/p with battles. I've been a marshal/general of a looting army that fights relatively little, and I could still gradually increase my h/p rather respectfully.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Jens Namtrah

Quote from: Chénier on August 11, 2011, 12:44:03 AM
You can gain honor in looting.

Also, when you have little honor, unless you vastly overwhelm the enemy you still gain h/p with battles. I've been a marshal/general of a looting army that fights relatively little, and I could still gradually increase my h/p rather respectfully.

yes, and that will get you up to around 30H, and then you will crawl. And that is too little to switch to several classes.

Or, maybe you get stuck in a "batten down the hatches" war where you just sit in a city defending it for week after week.

there are plenty of scenarios where if you follow orders and act like a "team player", it simply punishes you by inhibiting the grow of your character and thereby restricting your options.

So best thing is to first find out - Why have the restrictions? and if the answer is only to ensure players get a feel for the game before switching, then I would say do an either/or and let people switch after a certain time period.

If it's some other reason, let's find out what that is and see if we can't loosen it up some other way so that new players/characters can try more things earlier.

Chenier

Quote from: Jens Namtrah on August 11, 2011, 12:59:22 AM
yes, and that will get you up to around 30H, and then you will crawl. And that is too little to switch to several classes.

Actually, got me up to the hundred, over 150 when I died (don't recall the exact amount). My newer char has 110 about and he never fought much either, I actually don't remember him fighting anything other than rogues, and maybe a few odd battles with the monsters?

And 30H gives you access to the courtier, hero, trader...? The only things you can't be are cavalier and infiltrator, I believe. Cavalier is a pretty useless subclass anyways and infiltrators, well, meh. I'd do with that restriction removed, but I don't see that as being essential. Courtier class being available straight-up would be the most important, imo.

Chenier

Quote from: ^ban^ on August 09, 2011, 10:23:04 PM
For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure many (most? all?) of the class restrictions are in place to reduce the impact of large-scale multicheating.

I don't think an army of multi-courtiers is any worse than an army of multi-warriors. I'd say it's even not as bad.

Jens Namtrah

Quote from: Chénier on August 11, 2011, 01:16:34 AM
Actually, got me up to the hundred, over 150 when I died (don't recall the exact amount). My newer char has 110 about and he never fought much either, I actually don't remember him fighting anything other than rogues, and maybe a few odd battles with the monsters?

You are arguing for argument's sake now. You didn't get to over 100 in a few months - go back and read what we are actually discussing here.

Chenier

Quote from: Jens Namtrah on August 11, 2011, 02:30:41 AM
You are arguing for argument's sake now. You didn't get to over 100 in a few months - go back and read what we are actually discussing here.

Was your character made general on day 1?

My current character, Miroslav, barely saw any fighting other than for rogues. These are therefore very small battles. He didn't do any courtier work either. So I would imagine that given a war, gaining more than what he did would be easy.

Jens Namtrah

Quote from: Chénier on August 11, 2011, 02:56:16 AM
Was your character made general on day 1?

My current character, Miroslav, barely saw any fighting other than for rogues. These are therefore very small battles. He didn't do any courtier work either. So I would imagine that given a war, gaining more than what he did would be easy.

So I see you ignored my advice to go back and read what we are talking about, or even made any attempt to follow the conversation.

Chenier

Quote from: Jens Namtrah on August 11, 2011, 03:15:32 AM
So I see you ignored my advice to go back and read what we are talking about, or even made any attempt to follow the conversation.

I have. And once more. I still find it particularly surprising that your context granted you no more than 30 honor after a month and a half as general, during a war. Was it a fresh character or an immigrant? I don't know. Was the war already there before you joined or did it start later? I am understanding that it was already ongoing. And you said that it wasn't even a long-distance war. All I'm saying is that it surprises me that you did not gain any more honor.

That being said, that doesn't mean I think any less that courtier should be available up-front.