Author Topic: Bold and italic text  (Read 2505 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
Bold and italic text
« Topic Start: August 06, 2011, 03:32:09 AM »
I just recently figured out you can use / in place of <I> and * in place of < b > when writing messages in BM. Makes it a hell of a lot easier when playing from a mobile device, let me tell you. The thing is, for no reason I've been able to figure out, sometime it just doesn't work. The symbol / or * appears instead of the italicised or bolded text.

Are there exception characters that cancel out the italics/bold characters? Or something else I'm not seeing?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Bold and italic text
« Reply #1: August 06, 2011, 03:56:39 AM »
They don't work if you have punctuation right next to the slashes or the like, and there are a couple of other scenarios (doesn't seem to work at the beginning of a paragraph) that I think are tied to how the game parses things.  You can mostly see how that works by hitting the preview button and looking at how the game puts in all the actual code for the letter.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 06, 2011, 04:03:32 AM »
Actually, many of those quirks should be fixed as of a month or so ago, when I went through and tried to make the regular expressions handling it a bit more sophisticated.

Try it in some of the situations it didn't work in before with the Preview button, see works now :)
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 06, 2011, 04:08:17 AM »
Tried it about an hour ago. Copy pasting from my message log:

/Next turn/, those in X misdirect toward Y.

I got the /s, not italics.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 06, 2011, 04:14:33 AM »
Tried it about an hour ago. Copy pasting from my message log:

/Next turn/, those in X misdirect toward Y.

I got the /s, not italics.

I don't think it works on multiple words, just on single words.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 06, 2011, 04:26:46 AM »
No, it does work on multiple words. I just tried it.

egamma

« Reply #6: August 07, 2011, 09:09:53 PM »
it doesnt work for multiple words with a comma, looks like.

I hate regular expressions.