Main Menu

News:

Please be aware of the Forum Rules of Conduct.

losing men from lack of food during sea travel

Started by Gustav Kuriga, August 07, 2011, 07:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gustav Kuriga

I'm just putting this here because it doesn't make sense to be losing men from lack of food in a city we haven't yet reached by sea. I can understand land routes, but from sea you either are in the region, or you are out at sea travelling to it.

Indirik

So then we should make you bring food with you on your ship, since you can't get it from the region. And you should have to do it every time you go on a sea journey, since you won't be able to get food from the city, no matter how much grain is stored in the warehouses.

Or we could just live with the minor inconsistency and move on.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

Indeed, the more realist alternative would be even harsher...
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

fodder

"mate, there ain't no fishes here.. some dude poisoned that patch of water and then stuck a forcefield around to contain it"
firefox

Jens Namtrah

Quote from: fodder on August 09, 2011, 11:10:00 AM
"mate, there ain't no fishes here.. some dude poisoned that patch of water and then stuck a forcefield around to contain it"

Is that intended to imply no one ever starved to death on a sea journey before modern times?

vonGenf

Indeed, fishes exist in quantity near the coasts only. In the open ocean, fishing is very difficult.

Also, water was often a bigger problem than food.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Jens Namtrah

Quote from: Jens Namtrah on August 09, 2011, 11:56:13 AM
Is that intended to imply no one ever starved to death on a sea journey before modern times?

although, probably not on a 42 hour journey, come to think of it  :o

vonGenf

Quote from: Jens Namtrah on August 09, 2011, 12:03:46 PM
although, probably not on a 42 hour journey, come to think of it  :o

I would think that the soldiers die only after a period of starvation. If you embark on a 42 hours journey and you had not eaten for 4 days prior, and you need to climb ropes to change the sails.... you may lose conciousness and fall over and die.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

fodder

Quote from: Jens Namtrah on August 09, 2011, 11:56:13 AM

no.. rather if someone pop onto a boat, they are normally provisioned for the whole journey. which of course brings up some other questions.

and that it's saying somewhere in a sea route between 2 regions, you can catch fish until an invisible line after which there's magically no fish, because the region has no food in the warehouse.

no idea how viable fishing is outside of coast, but seems unlikely you can deplete stock due to low production (low production means fish is there, just not caught), or drought (drought in sea. haha).

obviously fishing isn't separated from farming. but whilst one can understand the lack of food due to drought and what not on land, seeing as food has to be foraged locally, you would think sea travel works a bit differently.
firefox

Chenier

To fish, you usually have a lot of boat with few men on them, and not few boats with lots of men on it. Having more rods or nets can only go so far if you are covering the same limited area.

And the fish banks are typically not along the shortest route to your destination.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

Quote from: fodder on August 09, 2011, 01:13:28 PMno.. rather if someone pop onto a boat, they are normally provisioned for the whole journey.
Generally, I if I'm going to be setting off on a three-day walk, I'll make sure to bring enough food with me. Yet somehow our soldiers never seem to be able to get that one right, either. They're constantly forgetting to bring food, thus keeling over dead within a mere few hours of leaving their well-furnished, and well-provisioned, barracks simply because they region they are walking through has not much food in it.

Those slackers.

Moral of the story: If you want your men to stay well fed on their boat, then bring food with you. RP/rationalize it however you want. You have the ability to bring food with you. If you don't, then it's your own fault for not making sure your men have something to eat.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.