Author Topic: Types of Majority  (Read 4260 times)

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Types of Majority
« Topic Start: August 07, 2011, 01:24:25 PM »
I went to wiki to check out differences between absolute and qualified majority in setting referendums - to found out that it is erased from wiki.

now i could make general googling to remind myself, but it looked more pragmatical to post the question here.

the question about why such things are erased from wiki is another story... i can only imagine how newbies could have troubles to find get the answers...

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Types of Majority
« Reply #1: August 07, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »
Erased from the wiki is bad.  Which page was this?
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Revan

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 07, 2011, 05:40:19 PM »
Erased from the wiki is bad.  Which page was this?

I guess here (Referendum) but the page hasn't been edited since it was created four and a half years ago. More a case that the information never existed than it's been erased?

I always thought that once you actually started a referendum, it would explain how the results would be tallied in-game? You know, just like when council/lordly elections show 'A simple majority was required, i.e. 1 vote.' with the results.

As to the OP's question, I would guess an absolute majority requires 50% support for a referendum option to pass. A qualified majority would require 50% of all those eligible to vote to support a referendum option for it to pass. There could still be a simple majority in favour, but if only, say, 40% of eligible nobles voted, it will automatically fail.

Still, the only way to know for sure might be to initiate one of those referendums in-game :-P

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 07, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Telrunya

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 07, 2011, 06:51:43 PM »
The Referendum Page doesn't seem to have a link towards that Help Page though. Normally there is a big question mark in the topright corner.

And the Help:Referendum doesn't seem to show up when Searching for 'Referendum'
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 06:56:07 PM by Telrunya »

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 07, 2011, 07:03:49 PM »
The help page issue is a known problem and is being worked on.  I'm not familiar enough with the wiki to know why searching for "referendum" doesn't show the help:Referendum page, though.

^ban^

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • Le Genie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 07, 2011, 08:31:05 PM »
The help page issue is a known problem and is being worked on.  I'm not familiar enough with the wiki to know why searching for "referendum" doesn't show the help:Referendum page, though.

/Referendum is in the main BattleMaster wiki namespace. The Help: page is in the Help namespace, and non-main namespaces are not searched by default.
Born in Day they knew the Light; Rulers, prophets, servants, and warriors.
Life in Night that they walk; Gods, heretics, thieves, and murderers.
The Stefanovics live.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 08, 2011, 03:14:17 PM »
The Help: page is in the Help namespace, and non-main namespaces are not searched by default.
This can be changed, by going to http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Special:Preferences. On the Search Options tab, check the "Help" box. It is possible that Tom might be able to change this to be enabled for new accounts. Not sure...
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 09, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »
Bedwyr, how did your reach that?

I remember that page from before, but could not reach it neither from direct help nor from wiki text search.

there was "stub-empty" page with title "referendum" instead.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 09, 2011, 02:52:12 PM »
As ^ban^ says, the Help namespace is not searched by default. If you want your search to include Help pages as well, you need to either change your preferences as I described above, or use the Search button instead of the Go button, then tick the box named "Help" to enable searching for Help pages as well. Not that ticking the box on the Search page is not "sticky". It resets every time to you go back to that page. If you want it to stick, you need to change your wiki preferences.

Stue (DC)

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 09, 2011, 04:24:47 PM »
ops, sorry, i did not read posts in all details ;D thanks.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 11, 2011, 04:11:00 AM »
As ^ban^ says, the Help namespace is not searched by default. If you want your search to include Help pages as well, you need to either change your preferences as I described above, or use the Search button instead of the Go button, then tick the box named "Help" to enable searching for Help pages as well. Not that ticking the box on the Search page is not "sticky". It resets every time to you go back to that page. If you want it to stick, you need to change your wiki preferences.

Is there any way to have the help pages searched by default for everyone?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 11, 2011, 04:14:49 AM »
I don't know. It would be an admin option only Tom can change. If you can find out how to do it, I'm pretty sure he'd be willing to do it.