BattleMaster Community

Toms Other Games => SpellMaster III => SM General Discussion => Topic started by: Tom on September 14, 2011, 01:44:34 AM

Title: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 14, 2011, 01:44:34 AM
Someone posted correctly that it's hard to start in a vacuum. So for the test run, here is the setting:


Mahrstadt, a small town of maybe 5000 people, located on a small island within the colonies. Aside from the town, there are a dozen or so villages on the island, and an old, abandoned fortress that is rumoured to be haunted.

All of you have arrived during the past few days on ships from whatever places you want to hail from. After an unusually strong and sudden storm last night, many of the ships in port are damaged, two of them beyond repair. The remainder of the harbour hasn't fared much better. Fortunately, Mahrstadt does not rely on imports by sea and the island is self-sufficient except for luxury goods. Unfortunately, your onwards journeys if you had planned any, will be delayed for a week at best.

Some say that the storm was not entirely natural. Others tell of an old folk tale, that storms will ravage the island every night, and on the 3rd night, strange flying, man-like creatures will start to pick unwary people off the streets. Many of the supersitious locals are boarding up their windows and staying at home at night...


Take it from here. Use your current characters with whatever skills and spells you have, put them into the parser.

[update: commit is now there.]


Suggested workflow: Write out your roleplay in the parser, get it parsed, post the result here, copy&paste the result header (with the energy, etc. used) here as well.

Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Bedwyr on September 14, 2011, 02:32:03 AM
Garath stepped into the public house, grateful he had invested in his very thick, very waterproof cloak.  He flashed a smile at the tavern wench who looked over, and despite the tense atmosphere she grinned back at the well-dressed young rogue.  He flicked his cloak open and his eyes gleamed as he used a touch of energy to cast Skim Thoughts on her.  Weariness, wariness over the storm and the old legends, unhappiness at the lack of customers, distaste for the grandsir in the corner who could not keep his hands to himself...Ah, there was what he wanted, wonder at whether the young lord would want a tumble later, handsome enough and has coin.

He winked, and took a look at the room, pursing his lips.  He cast a tentative Gauge Room and nodded regretfully.  Too few, and too dismal to be worth his efforts in storytelling tonight.  A pity, as while his purse was flush now, he never missed an opportunity to fill it.  Or add a few more, at that.

He found a corner table with no difficulty given the half-empty state of the place, and set his back up against the wall, signalling the friendly barmaid.  His smile was back in force as she undulated up.  He approved of women who knew how to use their curves.

"Anything I can get for you this evenin', milord"

"If you were sitting in this chair after a long, frustrating, wet day, and you had coin to spend" he flashed a few silvers between his fingers "what would you have?"

She raised her eyebrows, sizing him up...

"Depends, milord, on how many of those silvers I had.  If I had, say, five of them to drop, I would have the saffron fish and the white wine.  Of course, if I had a gold to spend, then I would have the the pastry-beef and I would ask for the special red."

Garath laughed, and his hand flashed, reappearing with three golds between his fingers.

"Then I shall have the beef and the special red...And you should join me, miss...?"

She glanced around the lackluster room, and then smiled.

"Wendella, milord.  And that I will, since you're buyin'."

"Please...Call me Garath."


Completing these actions would result in the following changes:

    4.00 concentration expended
    2.67 energy expended
    4 XP in Perceive gained
    2 XP in Mind gained
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 14, 2011, 04:33:27 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 14, 2011, 04:59:58 AM
Zuno sighed as he gazed at his hand.  Not particularly promising.  The cards on the table weren't bad, but the cards he held were no help.  He really didn't want to back out now.  He had too much on the table and there was only one player left - a sour-faced merchant who was quite a ways into his cups.  Besides, how else was he going to buy his way out of this pathetic little burg?  If only that idiot sea captain hadn't lost his ship ... well, what's done is done. 

A furtive glance around the common room revealed a small spider hanging from a lamp behind the merchant.  A quick [#231|Vermin Spy] gives him a glimpse of the man's cards - a castle and two knaves - not strong, but marginally stronger than Zuno's.  Mustering up all the brazenness left in him, Zuno smiles confidently.

"All in.  Put up or walk away, my friend," while sending a little [#4|Mental nudge]:"Fold"

Completing these actions would result in the following changes:
2.80 concentration expended
6.00 energy expended
2 XP in Perceive gained
6 XP in Mind gained
0 XP in Control gained
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Brant on September 14, 2011, 06:07:36 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on September 14, 2011, 03:06:25 PM
Kalan awoke on a beach, wreckage around him from the ship he came in on. That damn thing, if it had gone the right way around the island they'd have been in port before the worst waves came! But no, the captain was an imbecile! Looking around Kalan saw many dead bodies, the captain being one of them. "Good!" he thought, "maybe he'll get lost on his way to the afterlife too."

After standing up, Kalan noticed many large trees atop a nearby hill. Possible hiding spot for tonight, if he can get that blasted spell right this time. "Those damn finger movements are just too complex", Kalan said aloud. Nobody was there to hear him, but cursing the air made him feel better.

Upon reaching the trees, Kalan noticed a large, dry patch of dirt beneath one of the trees. "Just the size for a man to sleep under" Kalan thought, "now, to get this right." The young man moved his fingers, muttering a few words. Shadows started to pool together from the trees into the shape of a man. But then nothing, the man disappeared into the night again. "Damn it!" he shouted. Again he tried and failed to summon the night's protection to watch over him, again he cursed to high heavens - this was not his night. "I suppose I should follow the coast line to the port then" he thought, trying to figure out which direction to walk in.

Before Kalan could choose, however, there was a growl behind him. A beast with great fangs had jumped out of the shadows straight at him. Not having time to react, Kalan forced all the energy he could muster out of his body, hoping the heavens were smiling on him to keep him safe. They were. The beast passed straight through the young man as if he was a ghost. Not wasting an opportunity, Kalan picked up a nearby log and swung it at the beast, making it scamper off into the dark. "Well... I'll have to remember that one for next time." He thought, heading in the opposite to where the beast went, hoping to find a town.

---

can't cast "Protection of the Night"You can not complete some or all of these spells, because:

    * you can't cast Protection of the Night because your skill levels are too low (total of 7, but need at least 8 )

---

spontaneous magic (Protect/Death - 3/2/1) (with 1 shifts)Completing these actions would result in the following changes:

    * 0.75 concentration expended
    * 2.00 energy expended
    * 0 XP in Protect gained
    * 2 XP in Death gained
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 14, 2011, 09:20:48 PM
Dynamis winked into existence, drawn to the island by a large confluence of magickal potential. It had been a long time, a very very long time since he had done more than travel the world in his searches for the answer. Feel a bit rusty he opened a small tome he produced from his grey robe. Lets see, should we summon the Beast, he thought to himself. No, too strong a spell, better to start small. Something that he might have to use in the next few moments if the portents held.

Looking around and seeing and sensing no living soul he looked at the nearest tree. It would have to do he thought. Concentrating on the words of the text he uttered the careful constructed spell.

Mind Bullets flew out from his psyche striking the tree leaving several gashes in the trunk. Satisfied for the moment he forms mana into a mind shield. spontaneous magic (Protect/Mind - 2/2/1) (with 1 shifts)
Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    4.00 concentration expended
    3.33 energy expended
    2 XP in Harm gained
    3 XP in Mind gained
    2 XP in Protect gained

Edit: That's a direct copy of the text which was put out for posting on SMF.  There's also a graphical bug where the Mind Bullets stopped the background box and had the text skip a line with a return.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 14, 2011, 09:35:37 PM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 14, 2011, 09:42:07 PM
"All in.  Put up or walk away, my friend," while sending a little [#4|Mental nudge]:"Fold"

The man looks a bit befuddled.  Clearly this man is not used to folding his cards especially after he'd been drinking heavily, "Say friend, that look you just gave me.  You know what it tells me, it tells me you're bluffing.  You should work on your tells. I call!"
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Phellan on September 14, 2011, 11:18:44 PM
Debris covered the shore line, constantly pushing at the beach with each lap of the waves.     A dozen sailors were still fishing out intact crates and salvageable material from several small boats, while a few more were waist deep in the water gathering what else they could.

The modestly dressed man moved along the coast line, eyes scanning the beach.    He carried a small walking stick which he used to pick through the washed up materials.   These sailors are from the crew, so it must be here somewhere.  A wave lapped at his boot and he grimaced, a reminder of the salt stains that had soaked into most of his items.     

Several startled cries drew his attention long enough for him to look in time to see one of the boats upend as a cruelly timed wave hit the craft as it pulled aboard a large container.   Several of the men fell into the water.   He stared curiously at the matter for a moment and then resumed his search along the beach for his lost items.  Many of the passengers goods at been lost when the boat had been pushed upon the rocks.    He had only a few of his clothes, his dagger, and the gold and silver he had kept on his person.    More importantly several of his books had been in his belongings, the cryptic scrawls would mean little to most but those who would understand him.  He shivered slightly at the thought of who might run across them.

He returned his gaze to the beach where several sailors pulled one of their comrades out of the water.  It appeared he was gravely hurt, swallowed to much water perhaps.   They pushed on his chest and tried to get him to breathe though it appeared all for naught.     The younger man looked for a moment and sighed - then with his walking stick scrawled a runic  symbol into the sand and dropped to one knee where he touched it.   The symbol hummed slightly
(Breath of Air) and the man on the beach coughed heavily and water came out of his mouth.    A few cheers and cries of good fortune could be heard from the concerned sailors.

  The kneeling man wiped away the symbol in the sand and picked through some of debris nearby.  He stood, cursed his luck aloud, and then returned to his search, hoping that any who may have seen him would assume he had been digging in the sand for his items.    He grumbled slightly as he moved along the beach again - the bag with his books and belongings were no where to be found, though he had found a few other useful items - tinder and flint, a small pack filled with items he'd yet to look at - no doubt mostly useless but better than having nothing.

  Pulling his cloak about him as the breeze picked up and whipped him with a heavy mist of water he turned away and headed up the beach - the light was dropping quickly despite the early hour, something he was not accustomed too.   The Captain knew where his room was - perhaps some of his goods had found their way there.

  The walk was short - the inn was only a few meters above the seawall and seemed to creak and groan with every push of the wind.  Still, his room didn't leak - he hoped.   Stepping out of the wind he passed through the tavern, ordering a meal from the serving wench before he climbed the stairs to his room.   

   Once he settled in he looked around - securing the windows and covering them with heavy blinds and his own cloak for added privacy - nodded slightly that the room was safe from those seeking to see what others do, he quickly scrawled a rune in the air and touched it (Candle Light) where it flared red and disappeared.   The candle on his desk flared up and remained lit.   Nodding to himself he sat down, pulled his precious book from it's spot under his garments and opened it up, reading over the elaborate runes within while he waited for the arrival of his meal.
   

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    3.00 concentration expended
    3.00 energy expended
    3 XP in Create gained
    2 XP in Air gained
    1 XP in Fire gained
 

Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 14, 2011, 11:40:34 PM
There's also a graphical bug where the  Mind Bullets stopped the background box and had the text skip a line with a return.

fixed now
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 15, 2011, 12:31:20 AM
"Please...Call me Garath."

Zuno looked up from the table as the voice floated from the corner table.  Something about that voice attracted his attention.  It certainly carried well.  Then Zuno spotted the barmaid.  Damn, he was hoping to use whatever winnings he could fleece from his table-mates here to entice her into some more entertaining activity later.

"... I call!"

Suddenly Zuno's attention in drawn back to the table.  "Huh?  What?"

"Pay attention, boy!" the merchant snaps, "I said 'I call,' now show me yer cards."

Zuno briefly ponders several rash courses of action before realizing he was already in too deep and should probably quit before it got any worse.  He throws down his cards in disgust.  "Fine.  You win."
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 15, 2011, 01:06:06 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Meneldur on September 15, 2011, 01:14:13 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Brant on September 15, 2011, 03:13:04 AM
"It's the mold...  causes the sickness, the hives."

He seems to draw himself up and holds out his hand.  In the drizzle of rain he flakes off some black substance from his fingertips.  With a loud display of phlegm hurling, a horrible cough racks his body as he turns away from  Astalos. 

"Got me outta a few day of rowing... not sure it was worth it now."

Still wheezing through asthmatic sounding breaths, he takes a few steps back up the alley, pausing after several steps to look behind him.

"We should find an inn...  a real one."  His nose crinkles in disgust as he overlooks the scene of grime and violence.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Phellan on September 15, 2011, 04:31:10 AM
The candle burnt lower now, an empty plate with not even enough scraps for the mice lay on the side of the table.   The pages kept turning.    The man's face was furrowed in concentration.    The page turned again.     His eyes widened slightly and a bit of excitement shone through his eyes.

"Yes. . . yes this and here. . . excellent" he scribbled a few notes into the margins of the book, referencing locations and shapes.   

He calmed himself and gathered his focus.    A few strokes of a rune, another rune intersecting.    A whispered word of power.   He focused seeing outside, on being able to look around the town as though a bug on the wind.  He needed to explore and see if there were threats around him.   Then with a rush of energy he felt his minds eye expand.   spontaneous magic (Perceive/Air - 1/1/2) (with 1 shifts)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: cjnodell on September 15, 2011, 07:17:43 PM
As Siglorn hid behind the tree as another arrow thudded into the trunk. He quickly glanced around the tree and spotted his assailant just in time to see the man release another arrow. Fortunately it was but one man,

With his attacker in sight Siglorn Cast Air Shield and mentaly directed the barrier of air between him and the arrow as he stepped from behind the tree. The shield held true and deflected the projectile. Wasting no time Siglorn charged his the beefy cloaked figure before him, rapidly closing the distance.

As he approached he deflected two more arrows with his shield. Finally Siglorn was close enough.. He quickly cast Lump and saw a fist sized lump of earth fly forth and knock his assailant down. A second later Siglorn was on him. The mans death was as quick as a knife to the throat could make it...

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:
4.00 concentration expended
2.67 energy expended
2 XP in Protect gained
1 XP in Air gained
2 XP in Harm gained
1 XP in Earth gained
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 16, 2011, 03:04:56 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 16, 2011, 02:57:04 PM
He calmed himself and gathered his focus.    A few strokes of a rune, another rune intersecting.    A whispered word of power.   He focused seeing outside, on being able to look around the town as though a bug on the wind.  He needed to explore and see if there were threats around him.   Then with a rush of energy he felt his minds eye expand.   spontaneous magic (Perceive/Air - 1/1/2) (with 1 shifts)

People, when someone posts something like this, it is an open invitation to complete his roleplay. Remember that he can not roleplay what exactly happened with spontaneous magic, so he is locked into waiting until someone does...
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 16, 2011, 04:11:30 PM
He needed to explore and see if there were threats around him.   Then with a rush of energy he felt his minds eye expand.   spontaneous magic (Perceive/Air - 1/1/2) (with 1 shifts)

A brief instant showed a man with a bloody blade cloaked in shadows, but no other information was available. [1,2,1]
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 17, 2011, 06:13:21 AM
Zuno shoves back from the table, disgusted with himself. Glowering at the now-gloating merchant, he stomps out of the common room and into the fading late-afternoon sun. He should have paid for a room before he started gambling. Now he has no place to sleep tonight.

Zuno wanders aimlessly through the back streets and alleys around the battered harbor, At one point a particularly brazen rat stands in the alley, chewing on some moldy bit of trash. Zuno's anger and frustration suddenly has a focus and a target. Fury pours out of him, directed at the unknowing creature. spontaneous magic (Harm/Death - 4/1/1) (with 2 shifts)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Bedwyr on September 17, 2011, 06:24:55 AM
Zuno wanders aimlessly through the back streets and alleys around the battered harbor, At one point a particularly brazen rat stands in the alley, chewing on some moldy bit of trash. Zuno's anger and frustration suddenly has a focus and a target. Fury pours out of him, directed at the unknowing creature. spontaneous magic (Harm/Death - 4/1/1) (with 2 shifts)

Suddenly, the rat began keening, writhing on the ground as bits of fur and flesh wither, rotting away before Zuno's eyes.  The food the rat had been nibbling blackened and the smell of rot began drifting out of the alley.  The rat's screaming lasted for a solid minute, before the whimpering began as it slowly dragged itself deeper into the shadows, with much of it's body rotted away to the bone.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 17, 2011, 06:36:06 AM
The rat's screaming lasted for a solid minute, before the whimpering began as it slowly dragged itself deeper into the shadows, with much of it's body rotted away to the bone.

Zuno glances around, hoping nobody saw or heard the rat, before dashing into a shadowed alley to hide until dark.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 17, 2011, 07:59:26 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 18, 2011, 06:10:50 AM
Astalos took a deep breath and emptied his mind of all meaningless thoughts. As he focused more, he felt a warm sensation around his wounds and body.

spontaneous magic (Heal/Body - 3/2/1) (with 2 shifts)

The warmth grew and intensified.  Soon it was painfully hot.  Suddenly, the pain was gone.  Astalos felt magnificent, as if he were years ... no,  decades younger.  Astalos sees his own face reflected in the panes of the window as he hadn't seen it since before he was old enough to shave.

(2 shifts to Heal/Body - 5/2/1, not only did he heal, he reversed his physical age back to adolescent/early teens)

OOC: I think I did that right.  It doesn't have to be a GM to write what happens with spontaneous magic, correct?  GMs, feel free to override me if I misunderstood how spontaneous magic and/or shifts work. :-)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 18, 2011, 10:38:17 AM
That was right, except for the duration - at duration 1, that amount of bodily change would be excrutiatingly painful as it all happens in an instant. Passing out would probably be ensured, and the best that can happen to you.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on September 18, 2011, 01:38:44 PM
Kalan looked down from a hill and saw a port town below him, several hours of running, but he had made it. There were partially destroyed ships in the harbour, with the terrible storm still raging they would likely not be here in the morning - "Damnit", Kalan thought, "not even a ship here to get me off the wretched island". Kalan patted his side, the pouch of gold coins was still there under his clothes - good, it hadn't come loose, that meant a good drink or ten was in order.

Making his way down towards the town, Kalan could hear song and laughter coming from one tavern. Upon entering the tavern he was greeted by the smell of sweat and beer, everyone seemed mightily drunk, especially the large man who made his way towards Kalan, "FRIEND!" the man even managed to slur that one word, "DRINK!" and again. Another man shoved a tankard into Kalan's hands. "He just won a lot of gold in a poker game, making an even richer merchant richer" the man explained.

Kalan wasn't going to argue with free drink and so he didn't, letting the night take its drunken and joy filled course.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 18, 2011, 03:38:44 PM
The inquisitor looked out over the harbor from his generous cabin on the "Flaming Dolphin". The ship had suffered minor damage from the storm and would take a few days to repair, but being built in the south and being designed as a war-vessel even though it looked like a trader meant it was more solid and robust than the trading ships of the colonists. Not to mention the northern ship, if one could call it that, he saw crashing into the cliffs the day before.

Inquisitor Lucious did not wonder whether the crew of the ship from the heretical north had survived or not. It was none of his concern. He did, however, care for the unnatural light he had seen the night before. If there was supernatural activity in this area, he felt certain the gods were counting on him to stomp it out. It may even be the reason he was here.



Brother Herox arrived late at the inn, clad in inconspicious travellers garbs just like the two inquisition soldiers that accompanied him. Like several other small groups, he had left the Flaming Dolphin after the Inquisitors briefing, and entered town. He did not like this change of plans. They were here to preach and convert, not hunt spellcasters. But the Inquisitor could take command of any operation, temple or - in this case - ship in case there was evidence for spellcasters in the vicinity. And the church rules were clear on the priorities.

And so Herox and his guards sat down at the last empty table, the brother recalling one-by-one the tricks they had taught him on causing those spellcasters to reveal themselves.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 18, 2011, 10:53:43 PM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 18, 2011, 11:31:27 PM
Brother Herox had marked down a few individuals in the inn as potential heretics, but none of them had yet acted in a way that warranted blowing their disguise. Besides, he hadn't had a comfy evening for a long time. He motioned the other two to stay put and blend in - which meant ordering some ale and food like everyone else. He did not exactly mind.



Onboard the Flaming Dolphin, Inquisitor Lucious was preparing the actual search and extinguish expedition. The parties he had already sent out were ill-prepared to face an actual spellcaster, but they would flush him out into the open.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 19, 2011, 01:14:19 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Bedwyr on September 19, 2011, 06:19:07 AM
That was right, except for the duration - at duration 1, that amount of bodily change would be excrutiatingly painful as it all happens in an instant. Passing out would probably be ensured, and the best that can happen to you.

Conservation of magical energy?  The shifts shouldn't have pushed it up to five, as nothing was decreased.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Bedwyr on September 19, 2011, 07:04:44 AM
Garath was about to suggest that the evening should be continued upstairs when three men entered the dining area.  As a bard and storyteller, he had learned over the years to observe.  Magic was a useful tool, but not the only one he possessed by any means...And that same tool meant that he had to step lightly more than once when he had encountered those with southern temperaments.

And these three men screamed inquisitorial guards.  Well, two of them.  He didn't know who the third was, but he was with the guards, and that made Garath even more nervous.  Some inquisitors were mages, though the Church kept that quiet.  He decided it was worth the risk to check on the third man, disguising the casting by incorporating the gesture into a caress on his companions cheek, sending out a questing thought toward that third man with the need to know if the man were indeed a mage Spontaneous Magic (Perceive/Mind - 2/2/1).
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 19, 2011, 07:42:56 AM
He decided it was worth the risk to check on the third man, disguising the casting by incorporating the gesture into a caress on his companions cheek, sending out a questing thought toward that third man with the need to know if the man were indeed a mage Spontaneous Magic (Perceive/Mind - 2/2/1).

What does this spell do? If you are trying to find out if the third person is a caster or not by using a magic, you cannot do that.

Here is a piece of info from the Notes on magic: You remember from the Energy chapter that energy can not be affected by magic in any way. This is the reason for there not being a Base called "Magic" or such like. This also means there is no such thing as perception of pure magic. Identifying someone else as a magician, or determining his energy level, or even just "feeling" magic being cast nearby would require a Perceive/Magic effect, and since the base "Magic" does not exist, there is no way to detect magic with magic.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: De-Legro on September 19, 2011, 07:56:47 AM
What does this spell do? If you are trying to find out if the third person is a caster or not by using a magic, you cannot do that.

Here is a piece of info from the Notes on magic: You remember from the Energy chapter that energy can not be affected by magic in any way. This is the reason for there not being a Base called "Magic" or such like. This also means there is no such thing as perception of pure magic. Identifying someone else as a magician, or determining his energy level, or even just "feeling" magic being cast nearby would require a Perceive/Magic effect, and since the base "Magic" does not exist, there is no way to detect magic with magic.

What if they are thinking, I am a mage, I am a mage :) The spell would appear to have less to do with detecting magic, and more to do with perceiving the characters intent and thoughts, which MAY reveal his status as a mage, or it may not.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Bedwyr on September 19, 2011, 08:31:18 AM
What does this spell do? If you are trying to find out if the third person is a caster or not by using a magic, you cannot do that.

The magic is attempting to probe the guy's mind to see if he's a mage.  Given that it's low-effect casting, and spontaneous at that and thus very subject to change, I doubt it will be successful, but Garath's an arrogant kind of guy.

I figure a level 4, maybe only 3 effect would be able to search someone's mind enough to see if they are actually a spellcaster with some degree of certainty, but level 2?  Doubt it.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 19, 2011, 08:58:38 AM
He decided it was worth the risk to check on the third man, disguising the casting by incorporating the gesture into a caress on his companions cheek, sending out a questing thought toward that third man with the need to know if the man were indeed a mage Spontaneous Magic (Perceive/Mind - 2/2/1).

The magic was altered before it reached the third man. Instead of only targeting only one person, the magic worked on all three. But the magic became too weak for any of them to be even noticed what just happened.
Spontaneous Magic (Perceive/Mind - 1/3/1)

(ooc: I was going to intensify it actually but I got stuck with 3/1/1. I got confused whether it only needs to target brains to work or actual people.)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 19, 2011, 10:11:34 AM
The magic was altered before it reached the third man.

Actually, it shouldn't, because there were no shifts in the casting result. However, as you correctly noticed, the target is too small, so it won't result in anything. He will find out if the lice on their heads think they are magicians - the result is "no". :-)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 19, 2011, 10:38:41 AM
sending out a questing thought toward that third man with the need to know if the man were indeed a mage Spontaneous Magic (Perceive/Mind - 2/2/1).

The effect worked quite nicely, and it seemed that none of the three men thought of themselves as magicians, at least not actively at this time. However, as Garath looked at them, the slimmest of the three locked eyes with him, and before the magic ended, Garath got the impression of an inquisitive mind wondering about him, Garath.

Brother Herox looked the foreigner straight in the eyes, following his training. Few men dared to look at members of the inquisition for any length of time, and they usually had good reasons for checking them out.
Then Herox remembered, that they were in plain clothes and most of the colonists had never seen them in official gear anyways. Still, his training told him that this man over there should be put on his list, and he decided to keep an eye on him. He was quickly running out of eyes, though.

Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on September 19, 2011, 02:56:46 PM
Kalan was completely drunk. Absolutely, completely, wasted. His new merchant friend had been ridiculously generous with his gold all night and it seemed like his whole entourage was drunk. Surprisingly, the man even managing to win some gold back by fleecing people who dropped into the bar. Kalan didn't care how the merchant had managed it, it simply meant more drink!

"You guys... and lady... are..." The merchant started, before farting and then laughing uncontrollably for a few seconds, "hilarious..."

"And you... " Kalan searched the night's events, it wasn't there... "umm, name... are the most..." he searched for words, but his mind was blank... "good man ever... and I mean it."

A man at the other side of the pub threw up, the merchant erupted in laughter once more. Everyone else joined in, silently hoping for more beer to celebrate the laughter.

"Hey... if.. umm... funny stuff... watch" Kalan slurred. He stood up and went over to one of the barmaids. Muttering a few words, he slapped himself in the face - in non-drunk times it would probably have been a light touch, but the effect was the same. The barmaid screamed.

"DEATH! Get it out! Aaaaaaaaaaaah!" and with that, the lady ran out of the bar and into the streets.

The chatter, laughter and general bar noise stopped. For a few seconds everyone was quiet.

"Look... different... friend..." The merchant slurred, looking at the rotting flesh hanging off old bone that used to be Kalan.

Then Kalan changed back, the effects of Looks of Death having worn off.

There was still a silence, until...

"DRINKS FOR MY FRIEND!" The merchant shouted, tumbling off his chair and then farting. "Do it again!"

Laughter, chatter and bodily functions returned to the bar as Kalan cast Looks of Death once more, on his merchant friend this time. It seemed, when drunk at least, these folk didn't mind a good bit of magic.

---

Looks of DeathLooks of DeathCompleting these actions would result in the following changes:

    * 8.00 concentration expended
    * 1.60 energy expended

EDIT: The parser result didn't mention the 8 exp I gained in Change. Should it have done?
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: ^ban^ on September 19, 2011, 05:22:00 PM
Teutch had to admit, looking out across the stormy waters, this pisshole of an island had at least one thing going for it: There were some great views. Soaked to the bone by the constant rains, but refreshed, he turned from his view of the harbor and began to make his way back to the back-alley inn he had been using as his shelter.

The inn was much as it had been every other night since the ship took damage in the storms. Loud and baudy, with some poor music and poor drinks.

Much like home, now that I think on it.

The thought brought a small smile to his face, cut short as silence cut through the bar like a hot knife and a maid runs out. For a brief moment, he would notice a man with what looked to be a rotted face, before it is gone with the blink of an eye.

Unable to shake an uneasy feeling, Teutch settles on a table along the wall where the light only just reaches. His wide hat and soaked cloak removed, he sets a few coins on the table and awaits whatever foul brew the maids will bring over this time.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 19, 2011, 05:29:11 PM
On using the parser:

Input your entire roleplay into it, not just the spell names. I'll probably add a WYSIWYG editor just like this one later. But get used to it, or use BBCode (it should ignore regular BBCode).

And yes, it should show the XP, I think I fixed that now.

Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 19, 2011, 05:42:14 PM
Brother Herox had missed the blatant display of magic right next to him thanks to a wonderful stew like he hadn't had in weeks. His companion, though, had not, and the scream and following silence were deafening.

Slowly, so as to not look too interested, Herox turned around. At first he wanted to throw up, but the quality of the stew more than anything kept him from it. His mind was racing. Taking the drunk magician now, or waiting for more to reveal themselves? He thought back and forth while the heretic dared to repeat his blasphemous actions.

His guards already had their hands slipped towards their concealed weapons. They were waiting for his signal.

He gave it.


"In the name of the holy inquisition of the temple of Estardes, hold it right there, heretic!", he yelled a minute later, standing at the exact distance his mentors had taught him to stand.

In every southern town, silence would have fallen over the inn. Here, some of the patrons shut up and looked, apparently from the south. But others went on undisturbed, or hurled insults his way.

"What?", the barkeeper yelled, among the noise, "the inquisition has no pow..." he stopped in his tracks as the first guard put a cold blade uncomfortably close to his throat. The second guard was covering Brother Herox's back. The weapons accomplished what words could not: The noise level went down considerably, though a few patrons were way too drunk to care for anything short of an earthquake.

"You there!", Brother Herox continued, pointing at Kalan, then Garath, then a third man (OOC: no player character) "Will follow us for questioning. Move it."

Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 19, 2011, 05:57:14 PM
As it grew darker, the rain increased. Zuno was soaked to the skin. There was no way he was going to be able to sleep in this filthy alley. He sighs. He'd just have to fall back on the old skills he used to get by before figuring out there were easier ways of filling his purse.

Zuno waited in the shadows just outside a raucously loud tavern. Before long, a group of drunks came stumbling out of the door, singing at the top of their lungs. Zuno slipped into the group, throwing an arm over the shoulders of one of the revelers and joins in the singing.

When the group reached a darker spot between the street lamps, Zuno concentrated hard on his drunken companion ( Lesser compulsion ), "VOMIT". As the man leans over and empties his stomach into the street, a deft flick of Zuno's knife lightens the man's belt and Zuno slips off into the shadows again.

Excellent, this nice fat purse will feed and house him for a few nights.  Zuno heads back into light and dry warmth of the inn.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on September 19, 2011, 06:10:44 PM
Kalan's mind cleared up a little at the noise, then a little more so seeing the blade. He stood up straight and pointed to the man shouting things. He'd heard of inquisitors before, but never seen them. His village had been a fairly small one, never bothered by those seeking to kill magic users. Kalan made a note that should he get out of this alive, he'd be sure not to use magic in public again - well, maybe a little.

"I think... umm... you..." Kalan turned to the merchant, who was giggling a little, "friend?"

"Street trick..." the merchant mumbled, the sight of steel hadn't sobered him up at all, "gold, friend?" The merchant stretched out his hand and offered the man in charge a handful of gold coins, "leave alone?"

Kalan didn't look too impressed at his friend's offer of a bribe, but it was better than what he could come up with. So he smiled, hoping that this island wasn't an inquisition stronghold.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 19, 2011, 06:39:18 PM
"You there!", a commanding voice floated out of the common room. "Will follow us for questioning. Move it."

Zuno hesitated at the door, decided discretion is the better part of valor, and stepped aside and into the shadows outside the door.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 19, 2011, 07:54:54 PM
The Brother had been trained well, so the thought of bribery went left at the mental junction that parts "hostile acts" from "friendly acts", and he stepped up to the merchant with a look that would have sobered up anyone less drunk. A quick word over his shoulder and the second guard had shoved the drunkard aside so that Herox never had to let one of the suspects out of his eyes.

The third man had already gotten up, shivering and slumped over. Obviously, he was from the south and well aware of the terrible powers of the inquisition. Herox had judged him right, picking him solely because his example would make the others more afraid and less likely to act hostile. He would let him go once they reached the ship.



Back on the Flaming Dolphin, Inquisitor Lucious was almost done with his preparations. A full squad of Templars stood at his command, only slightly tired from the recent events, and ready for action. The time to march was soon. By his estimates, an hour from now, word of the inquisition being in town would have spread around to the heretics and they would act just as he had learnt to predict.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 19, 2011, 08:23:25 PM
Dynamis had walked for some time through the forest before he came upon the small hut that surprisingly had a simple lock. After calling out for some time with no response he again opened his book of spells and flipped through the pages, sure that he knew something which would assist him. "Aha!" he exclaimed. With a brief wave of his hand he urged the tumblers of the locks to click into place Nerol's Unlocking Cantrip. With a solid click, the door was unlocked. Carefully he stepped into the room to find a rough room that nobody should live in. A large pot hung over a bed of coals, and a skin of wine rested on a table. Unwilling to take any chances he rummaged through the book once more. There it was, just as he knew it would be. Casting Magickal Praegustator first on the skin of wine, and then again on the pot of some sort of grits or soup or something passably edible Magickal Praegustator. The book glowed as the spells filled the air with magick.

Famished and reasonably certain the food was now safe Dynamis quickly ate his meal before leaving the hut. If need be he would make a better dwelling than this!
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on September 19, 2011, 09:09:54 PM
"Well... it was a nice try" Kalan thought, whilst his friend was laughing at the odd smell down there on the floor.

"Now... you seem, umm... honourable gentlemen..." Kalan wretched a little, the shock may have sobered him but the beer was still there, "mind if I... loo and stuff?"

Kalan turned to walk away to the wash room, hoping the other man they'd singled out had something up his sleeve - Kalan certainly didn't. Anything he could think of was ever so slightly drastic, mostly things that ended up with him dead one way or another: used as the guards' pin cushion, ripped apart by his own magic, that sort of drastic. Not the drastic he'd prefer.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 20, 2011, 12:57:55 AM
The three inquisitor guards certainly didn't look as if they would let him relief himself, except maybe right where he stood, while they were watching. An ever so slight shake of the head made that even clearer.

Brother Herox now put on his friendly inquisition smile, the one so sharp you instinctively know the next escalation involves a blade: "You can move by yourself, or we will make you move. The choice is yours, but only if you make it quickly."

The first guard had left the bartender be and moved behind Kalan, blocking the rear exit while holding his distance from the heretic.

Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 20, 2011, 06:13:29 PM
Famished and reasonably certain the food was now safe Dynamis quickly ate his meal before leaving the hut. If need be he would make a better dwelling than this!

Dynamis walked for what seemed like days (really it was a few hours), at random times he would open his book and flip through the pages lost in thought. Upon rare occasions he would be struck with the sudden fancy to try his hand at some of the ancient spells.

Passing by a stand of four small saplings surrounding a large oak he grinned to himself. "My what a perfect place to be today," he said to no one in particular. With a ponderous look he gathered up his tome and silently read to himself for a time. Then with a look of utter determination he uttered the words for Ball Lightning. With swift ferocity lightning bolts shoot out from a ball of electricity striking the targets below it. The large oak tree is barely touched while greater damage is done to the saplings, their small thin trunks badly scarred.

"My my, that was exciting. But you there, that wasn't very nice of you not to join your offspring." With a flick of his hand outstretched he casts Lightning Bolt and leaves a smoldering hole through the trees trunk.

With increasing glee Dynamis continues on. As he comes upon a grassy knoll he stops, and sits down. "Time to eat", he thinks silently. A spell he never has forgotten comes to his mind and with a few words casts Hearty Meal. Spread out before him is a luncheon of sandwiches and wines on neat plates and in crystal goblets. Fishing out a fork he spears a pickle. "Delicious! I haven't had this meal since before I was even grey." With gusto Dynamis begins to eat.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on September 20, 2011, 07:06:09 PM
Kalan looked over at the other man the inquisitor had identified, he had hardly moved. "Damn it!" Kalan thought, "no use there then." He didn't know whether it was the fact inside his body was enough alcohol to kill a large beast, or that he didn't want to find out if the stories he'd heard about inquisitors was true, but Kalan felt there was nothing else he could do. Knowing this was going to go very badly, Kalan eyed up the quickest route out of the bar. Everyone had either sat down or slipped out during the commotion, so the doorway was clear. He took a deep breath and without much more thought he looked at the guard nearest to him and cast Death's embrace (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/15), encasing the man in a dome of bones. He then looked at the second guard and again cast Death's embrace (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/15). Finally, at the man seemingly in charge and cast his final Death's embrace (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/15).

Kalan didn't want to wait around to see what would happen and ran straight out of the door, throwing up repeatedly on his way there. He didn't know what would happen to the other two who'd been singled out and right now he didn't care. There was a pang of guilt for his new friend the merchant, who would likely be killed, but having known the man just one night Kalan knew he'd get over it.

Part running, part staggering, part stopping to empty his guts, Kalan made his way back into the hills around the town from where he'd appeared not so long ago. He knew the woods were thick and decided he'd hide out there for a while. Maybe he'd go back for the other two, or maybe he'd be running around this island all his life. But right now, Kalan couldn't care, he just wanted to escape.

---

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    * 9.00 concentration expended
    * 3.27 energy expended
    * 9 XP in Protect gained
    * 3 XP in Death gained

EDIT: I only gained 3 XP in Protect, but did get the 3XP in Death. 9 Concentration was taken, but not sure on the Energy as I can't remember what it was before committing the actions.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 20, 2011, 07:25:07 PM
Zuno watched the vomiting man run out the door and down the street. Curious about the chaos that seemed to be erupting inside, Zuno cast a quick Vermin Spy (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/231). Peering through the eyes of a mouse hiding in the rafters, Zuno spotted the three piles of bones and a room full of cowering locals.  One of the piles moved and chased the vomiting man out the door.

Interesting. Dangerous, but interesting. Zuno quietly headed off on the trail of the vomiting man and the pile of bones, curious to see who they were and what they were up to.

EDIT: fixed to match Tom's modification of the escape.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 20, 2011, 08:03:14 PM
I'll have to interrupt there, as you can roleplay an escape attempt, but not a successful escape without giving others a chance to do something.
The spell you cast has an Intent of "protect", so it will protect its target, but it won't serve as an effective means to stop it. That would require a different Intent.



The inquisition guards were surprised by the spell, and the sudden appearance of what seemed to be a cage of bones surrounding them shocked and confused them. Only Brother Herox had received enough training to cope with an actual magical attack. He closed his eyes for a second, following the instructions he had received - to ignore and disbelief any effect and not let it control his mind. At the same moment he opened his eyes again, he made a step forward, testing the spell. He half expected to crash into the bones, half to be attacked by them, but they moved with him, like a shield or plate armour. He let out the air he had held back, and looked for the heretic - and spotted him just as he ran out the door.

Herox rushed after the heretic, his armour of bones barely fitting through the entrance door. Outside, he almost fell over another apparently drunken guy, he was standing near the entrance with his eyes close, making small noises like a rat. Herox ignored Zuno and followed Kalan. He knew the heretic could not run away far, as by this time of night the town gates would certainly be closed. As long as he let not slip him into a hideout, Herox would get him, sooner or later.

What to do with him when he got him, that was a question he could not yet answer. Without his guards, the brother had nothing to defend himself with should the heretic be aggressive. He hadn't thought this through, but did not yet realize that.



Inquisitor Lucious was finally ready. The Templars positioned strategically around him, close enough to defend him from any attack, but wide enough to not block his sight into any direction, he marched into town. He missed Kalan and Brother Herox by mere minutes.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 20, 2011, 08:08:52 PM
EDIT: I only gained 3 XP in Protect, but did get the 3XP in Death.

bug. fixed now.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Bedwyr on September 20, 2011, 08:10:25 PM
Garath smiled. He had been hoping one of the others would kick up enough confusion to cover for him...

His eyes flickered as he cast Skim Room, searching for the hotheads who would be useful to him. The innkeeper and four others were angry enough on their own. They were outraged at southern arrogance, and foolish enough to not consider the consequences. But there were a few others, sitting on the fence, as it were, angry but worried. With just a little nudge, though...

Garath's teeth flashed in a hard grin, and his mind expanded to push his chosen men past the brink of violence Spontaneous Magic (Control/Mind - 2/3/2) (with 1 shifts).

Completing these actions would result in the following changes:

    2.27 concentration expended
    1.82 energy expended
    1 XP in Perceive gained
    1 XP in Mind gained
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 20, 2011, 11:10:55 PM
(shift to 3-2-2)

The barkeeper picked up a large knife from somewhere and leaped over the counter, yelling obsceneties. He shoved a patron out of the way who couldn't move himself quickly enough, then attacked the inquisition guard. His blade crashed into the protective bone cage again and again, while the guard quickly realized that he could not attack, either. This went on for a few minutes, apparently dissuading the remaining crowd from doing anything rash.

Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 20, 2011, 11:13:24 PM
Garath's teeth flashed in a hard grin, and his mind expanded to push his chosen men past the brink of violence Spontaneous Magic (Control/Mind - 2/3/2) (with 1 shifts).

Completing these actions would result in the following changes:

    2.27 concentration expended
    1.82 energy expended
    1 XP in Perceive gained
    1 XP in Mind gained

Uh, can you check that again? Because for me it correctly says "Control" and not "Perceive" in the XP gains.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on September 21, 2011, 12:03:26 AM
Kalan ran, and stumbled, and then ran some more. Until he noticed something - the gates. They were closed. Kalan cursed under his breath. To make it worse, he heard a clopping sound behind him - horses? No. It sounded like... Bones... Kalan dared a look around and saw a figured covered in bones. He cursed louder this time. He was rather rapidly sobering up, but not enough that his thoughts were any clearer on what to do - that last escape attempt had been a fluke, being able to remember the words and signs for that spell had been a miracle in his current state.

He thought hard, what else did he know? Nothing useful, not unless the inquisitor was secretly a seedling. He moved that thought out of his mind, he was fairly sure that man was not a seed. He could try Sounds of the Forgotten (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/16), but for the life of him he couldn't remember the hand gesture. No, he'd have to try something dangerous. Calling on his inner magic had worked before, but that too was pure luck. Just as he reached the gate, Kalan turned to face the man chasing him, his bone armour now gone. "Well, at least that's one obstacle out of the way", Kalan thought as he pushed out his magic towards the pursuer - as well as what Kalan hoped was the last of the alcohol in his system.

spontaneous magic (Harm/Death - 5-2-1) (2 shifts)

---

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    * 1.25 concentration expended
    * 0.91 energy expended
    * 1 XP in Harm gained

Since Death's Embrace (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/15) only has a duration of 2 (a minute or so), I'm presuming it had worn off by the time Kalan reached the gate, correct me if I'm wrong and/or shouldn't have RPed it like that.

I'll have to interrupt there, as you can roleplay an escape attempt, but not a successful escape without giving others a chance to do something.
The spell you cast has an Intent of "protect", so it will protect its target, but it won't serve as an effective means to stop it. That would require a different Intent.

Sorry, I got a little carried away there :)

As for the spell, that was completely intentional. It was the only spell I thought could do something to slow them down, so figured I'd give it a shot.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 21, 2011, 12:46:10 AM
The armour of bones had broken down, the remains of it scattered around the street. Brother Herox had approached the heretic with resolve, though a small nagging in his head was trying to remind him that he had absolutely no defense against a next spell - as he found out all too quickly.

(shifted to 3-2-3)

Magic washed over the priest and, though he felt nothing at first. But life was being drained out of him, and before the hour was up he would have aged by a decade. For the moment, though, his voice was still strong as he yelled: "Hold it right there, heretic. In the name of the inquisition, you will follow me for questioning. Or suffer the consequences."

Something was not right, Brother Herox thought. He could not place the feeling, which was a mixture between the part of his mind that tried to tell him he was unarmed and now unarmoured, and the many parts of his body who were trying to tell him that this rate of decay was not normal.

Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Bedwyr on September 21, 2011, 02:25:25 AM
Uh, can you check that again? Because for me it correctly says "Control" and not "Perceive" in the XP gains.

Can't completely duplicate, as I upped skill earlier, but it seems to be correctly producing Control now.  Not sure what happened, I just c/p'd what the page produced.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Bedwyr on September 21, 2011, 02:42:44 AM
Garath suppressed a sigh.  The perils of not using practiced spells...But, it should do well enough.

While the innkeeper kept the remaining guard occupied, Garath smiled wryly at Wendella, speaking quietly without whispering.

"It seems tonight is not my night...And when the rest of the guards arrive, that innkeeper, well..." Garath shrugged sadly.  "Anywhere we can lay low for a few days?  I have a cabin on a nice, fast Northerner ship, but we need to last that long."

Wendella hesitated, but looked at the bones and shuddered.

"Are you afraid of ghosts?"

Garath smiled coldly.  She flinched a little, but shook her head.

"There is an old fortress..."

"Perfect.  Let's go..."

The two made their way purposefully but unhurriedly out of the kitchen door, pausing only to grab a few loaves of bread.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 21, 2011, 03:19:54 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 21, 2011, 09:29:49 AM
Inquisitor Lucious made his way through town, well aware of the people watching him and his templars. The cover that the Flaming Dolphin had been sailing under had been blown, and for good. But it was worth it, he was sure. Both his instincts and his prayers had revealed that there was more than one burning overdue here.
He watched the people watching him, but contrary to them he was trained in the art. The look of hatred in the eyes of one young man stood out amongst the crowd like a woman would in the bathes of his home town. Fear was common, as was dislike, but outright hatred? There was only one group of people arrogant enough to display hatred on the inquisition. Lucious stopped and turned at the same instance, his templars following his every movement with a barely visible delay.

Lucious pointed straight at Astalos. Then he said but two short sentences that would change Astalos life:

"Everyone else, make way." - the crowd did as it was told as if they had been a drilled elite unit. Within seconds, Astalos was standing there, exposed and all alone.

"Take him." - the two templars at the front moved towards Astalos in a horribly efficient pincer move, while the other two moved a few steps forward to position themselves at the sides of the inquisitor.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 21, 2011, 05:02:09 PM
y the time Dynamis came upon the city it was starting to get dark and the city gates had just closed. He had spied a troup of mean looking soldiers following a prelate into the city.

An interesting change of events. Could there be inquisitors here? They would be no match for him, and he did badly want to make a new friend. So rather than wait he went running up to the main gate shouting about bandits in the woods, pleading for mercy. Soot and other detritus covered his body from his time in the hut and his electrical displays earlier in the day. With a suspicious eye they opened the sally port and allowed him to enter, taking him directly to the guard captain on watch.

"You came screaming about bandits. How many, and where." The gruff captain spat out. Dynamis was in luck, the man spoke a dialect he actually understood and could speak. Perhaps this wasn't such a bad unplanned rescue after all.

"I, I didn't really count," Dynamis stuttered, "Maybe ten? Could've been more, they had come from this hut which I saw on the path through the woods over by the stand of oak saplings."

"And you didn't stop to chat with them is it? Probably for the better, those northern bastards come in here all too often these days. I wouldn't be surprised if you came across a scouting party of raiders." With a curt look the captain dismisses Dyanmis who scampers off like a vagrant.

As he leaves he can hear the captain ordering several squads to ride out immediately to find the ficitious raiders. The smoldering tree will add some credence to his tale, but for now the important thing was the guards of the town were going to be badly under-manned. The inquisition would have little local support for the rest of the night.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on September 21, 2011, 09:14:17 PM
Kalan could see the man before him ageing quite rapidly. It wasn't exactly the effect he had expected, but then, he didn't really know what he expected to happen. Still panicking, he looked around for an escape route - he saw one, a side street. Not the best escape route as he wasn't exactly escaping, more like a getting-away-to-hide-and-slip-out-in-the-morning route, but it would have to do.

Kalan head down the side street which seemed to lead in the general direction of the pub he'd just come from, hoping he wasn't being followed by the angry and ageing man.

On a positive note, he seemed to have stopped ejecting his drink for the time being, now just to wait for the inevitable aching and weariness.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 21, 2011, 09:28:53 PM
Brother Herox ran after Kalan, though noticeably slower than he used to be. There was a pain in his bones that he had not noticed before. Maybe the unfamiliar climate, or the long sea journey?

After the second turn, he had lost sight of the heretic. He searched the area for a short while, then returned to the inn, where two more heretics were waiting. He had an excellent memory for faces and would make sure to report the one that had escaped him to the inquisitor so the town guards could pick him up in the morning.

Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 22, 2011, 03:36:07 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 22, 2011, 04:09:01 AM
Zuno was just turning the corner to see the Brother and the vomiting man face off when he heard an astonishingly loud shout and the sounds of combat from somewhere near the docks. This was getting all too out of control. It was definitely time to find a hiding place.

A quick jog down an alley revealed what appeared to be a small stable attached to the back of a burned-out house. The smell of soot was strong, the house was apparently struck by lightning in the storm and burned, but the stable seemed to be intact. Zuno climbed up into the hayloft and arranged himself a comfortable nest behind a few bales of hay.

Information. That's what I need. Zuno laid down and closed his eyes. His mind ranged out, eventually finding a scruffy old tomcat. Seizing control of the creature's mind (Miniature Infiltrator (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/287)) Zuno/cat shook his head, flipped his tail up and sauntered off toward the harbor to see what was going on.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 22, 2011, 05:42:09 AM
Dynamis was making his way towards where he thought the Templars were when a horse came galloping towards him. Unable to get out of the way he quickly formed an Air Shield (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/234) that caused the horse to falter. As it crashed into him he released the energies of Unhand Me (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/276) upon the horse sending it flying back towards the Templars. The force of the horses' charge sent Dynamis flying to the ground somewhat dazed. Crowds quickly converged in the streets as the bored villagers grew bolder.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 22, 2011, 06:12:12 AM
I swear this is some kind of a joke lol I can't believe I am being thrown back to the templars!
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 22, 2011, 06:34:14 AM
A scruffy black alley cat sits atop a nearby house and watches with apparent amusement as the men and horse fly in various directions.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 22, 2011, 11:25:00 AM
As Astalos casted his last spell, he ran as fast as he could to get on to one of the horses. The other templars who were watching this entire time have realized what Astalos was doing and tried to chase him but with their heavy armours, they were quickly fell behind. Astalos rode the horse as fast as he could to get out from the harbour.

Once again, I have to remind people to leave others a chance to jump in. That was a very well-written roleplay (and I don't even want to know how much energy and concentration you used up - would've been cool to have the data underneath it, just for interest). However once again, please do treat major NPCs as if they were other players and give them a chance to react. If you want to roleplay an escape, do not complete it with success before the other party could do something.

I'll cut off the last two sentences and continue from there. And Dynamis met an empty horse that bolted. I know this is all... we'd just continue if at all possible, but I'm trying to also teach everyone how this cooperative storytelling thing works. :-)



Inquisitor Lucious watched the scene with amusement. He knew the templars wore the protection of their gods in addition to their armours, so none of the injuries sustained would be too bad. As the heretic reached the horses, Lucious formed a shrill whistle which made the horses rear and kick, throwing the man to the ground. The templars were closing on him fast now, the seconds he had won melting away like ice in the desert sun. The horses were still more of a danger than a help, calming down too slowly. Horses on one side, templars on two others, the inquisitor himself on the third...


(OOC: If you cast any magic on the inquisitor, please hold your roleplay after the spell. Just saying...)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 22, 2011, 03:15:51 PM
I swear this is some kind of a joke lol I can't believe I am being thrown back to the templars!

Rather than do a GM intervent for violating a rule I simply threw you back towards them ;-)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 22, 2011, 03:19:53 PM
Rather than do a GM intervent for violating a rule I simply threw you back towards them ;-)

Which definitely is the better solution. I just want to make the game rules clear through examples, which is why I'm a bit anal about them right now.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 22, 2011, 03:39:31 PM
The force of the horses' charge sent Dynamis flying to the ground somewhat dazed. Crowds quickly converged in the streets as the bored villagers grew bolder.

Picking himself up, Dynamis joins the surging crowd as it presses in on the arrayed Templars, the horses and the two lone men. He wondered absently if he should help the man, perhaps he was simply too stupid to know how to truly escape them. Sighing to himself Dynamis commits to helping.

With a well practiced breath he waits for the surrounded spellcaster to make a move towards casting a spell then joins in making quick movements of the hands in his pocket lovingly stroke the pages of his book as he makes a practiced look of awe and shock with the remainder of his body. Frostbite (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/285) painfully afflicts the tongue and throat of the Inqiusitor as they flash freeze making the formation of words extremely painful and difficult.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 22, 2011, 06:00:37 PM
(9)

Astalos barely dodge a horse that flew out from the street. The horse hit his chasers but Astalos did not even notice that because of panicked horses in front of him. He gave up on escaping on the horse back and decided to run instead.

Astalos turned around to check on the templars quick and that was when he realized the two templars who were chasing were lying on the ground with a dead horse on top. They must have accidentally stabbed the horse when it flew out of the street. He turned his gaze toward the inquisitor.

Their eyes met in the mid air when something flew out of the street and hit the inquisitor.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on September 22, 2011, 08:02:40 PM
OOC: What are the town walls like? How tall are they? What are they made of? Do they have a walkway for soldiers to patrol around? Are they new or old?
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 22, 2011, 08:43:33 PM
(9)

Astalos barely dodge a horse that flew out from the street. The horse hit his chasers but Astalos did not even notice that because of panicked horses in front of him. He gave up on escaping on the horse back and decided to run instead.

Errr... continuity? You were on the ground, surrounded by templars?


OOC: What are the town walls like? How tall are they? What are they made of? Do they have a walkway for soldiers to patrol around? Are they new or old?
If nobody has written anything about it, yet. you can pretty much invent it as you want.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 22, 2011, 10:27:14 PM
Oh crap. Didn't know the inquisitor ordered his men to attack. Oh well. Time to rewrite the story. (ooc: can you fix this crazy enlargement of my reply box? lol)

And whose story am I suppose to follow? One threw me back and the other just simply surrounded me by making horses go crazy? Maybe only one GM should get themselves involved in the same story?
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 22, 2011, 10:42:26 PM
(9)

Astalos fell from the saddle as the horse lifted itself up. When his back hit the ground, he felt an intense burning sensation from the scratches he got from hitting the wooden containers. The templars quickly surrounded him to eliminate any chance of escape for the caster.

He had a few choices left. He was cut, scratched and bruised while most of his enemies were standing. Astalos took a deep breathe as he was preparing magic. He disliked using a spontaneous magic since he could not predict the outcome but he had a little choice in the matter. When the templars formed a wall in front of him, he casted spontaneous magic (Harm/Fire - 10-2-1) (6 shifts) on them.

(ooc: I wonder how 10 will shift. Can it be split like 7/5/1?)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 22, 2011, 11:26:30 PM
spontaneous magic (Harm/Fire - 10-2-1) (6 shifts)

(shifted to 5-1-7)

One of the templars emits a horrible scream of pain as his shield flashes into a disc of blinding incandescent light.  He casts the shield aside and falls to the ground, rolling around to extinguish the flames ignited on the shield-side sleeve of his gambeson.  The mud around the shield sizzles and cracks as it slowly sinks and melts its way into the ground.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 22, 2011, 11:40:48 PM
And whose story am I suppose to follow? One threw me back and the other just simply surrounded me by making horses go crazy? Maybe only one GM should get themselves involved in the same story?

OOC: Tom's.  You'll note my first post now reflects his GM intervention, as did my subsequent where it describes him as having been surrounded.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 22, 2011, 11:44:33 PM
(shifted to 5-1-7)

One of the templars emits a horrible scream of pain as his shield flashes into a disc of blinding incandescent light.  He casts the shield aside and falls to the ground, rolling around to extinguish the flames ignited on the shield-side sleeve of his gambeson.  The mud around the shield sizzles and cracks as it slowly sinks and melts its way into the ground.

OOC: I'll let Tom decide on this.  Personally with 6 shifts the would've gone completely to hell.  Like 5,1,2 shifted into a discharge against the caster.  4,2,1 Firebolt that badly burns him.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 22, 2011, 11:48:31 PM
OOC - yeah, it was difficult figure out how to not blow up everyone in the area with that many shifts.  Feel free to override or completely disregard.  I'm still feeling my way though how shifts work.

I was also tempted to target the templar's codpiece instead of his shield just for comedic value. Or the caster's, for that matter. The Codpiece of Eternal Flaming. :-)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on September 22, 2011, 11:49:25 PM
Stumbling down the alley between the houses and the town's wall, Kalan heard shouts, bangs and numerous other sounds coming from somewhere in the city. "That must be the other two the guards picked out making a stand", Kalan thought to himself. On a normal day he might have just stayed where he was, hid a little and then crawled out when everything quietened down. But day was different, not only was he going to hide away, but he was going to do it miles away from this town. If only he could- "Aha!"

There was an outhouse built up against the town wall, Kalan knew that if he could climb it, he'd be able to jump over the wall and out into freedom and safety. Any normal person would have realised that was asking for trouble, but Kalan didn't care. He was too scared and, most importantly, still too drunk to realise he could get injured. He quickly looked around to make sure nobody was watching and then climbed up onto the little wooden building and then over the wall.

Thud!

"Ugh..." Kalan looked down at his legs, there were no bones sticking out or any terrible amount of bleeding - success! In the distance he could see decrepit fortress, closer by there was a forest with a cabin nearby. Kalan presumed that, being so close to the forest, it was a loggers cabin. He started to hobble in the direction of the cabin, hoping that he'd get there before anyone came by.

---

OOC:

OOC: Personally with 6 shifts the intent would've gone to hell, the target would've gone to complete hell, and at least half that crowd would've been incinerated, probably blowing up the caster along with it.

Agreed. I was just posting a reply about part of it fizzling off and blinding everyone around - including the caster. But Zane beat me to it :(
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 22, 2011, 11:49:48 PM
Blowing up half the templars? A good way for Astalos to die :) It would be nice to know how many shifts are allowed before blowing up the caster.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on September 22, 2011, 11:54:31 PM
Blowing up half the templars? A good way for Astalos to die :) It would be nice to know how many shifts are allowed before blowing up the caster.

OOC: I'd probably go for enough to make 2 fizzles that are both capable of killing someone. So if you had something like 5-3-1 with 20 shifts, that's when I'd start to worry.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Bedwyr on September 23, 2011, 03:25:39 AM
spontaneous magic (Harm/Fire - 10-2-1) (6 shifts) on them.

(ooc: I wonder how 10 will shift. Can it be split like 7/5/1?)

Can you even do anything higher than 5 unless it's a ritual?
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 23, 2011, 03:30:30 AM
Well it works on the parser... So I just did it lol...
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 23, 2011, 05:01:21 AM
casted spontaneous magic (Harm/Fire - 10-2-1) (6 shifts) on them.

(ooc: I wonder how 10 will shift. Can it be split like 7/5/1?)

Actually, there's no 10 on spontaneous magic, that's for rituals only. I know I need to add some jquery magic to enable/disable the 10 option depending on whether you selected ritual or spontaneous.

And if the shifts don't fit nicely, there will be discharges. You were very lucky this one went without discharges.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 23, 2011, 05:20:05 AM
The second templar kicked Astalos on the chest, pressing the air from his lungs and making him see stars. Then he heaved him up, and knocked him out.

A short while later, the inquisition moved back towards their ship, two of the templars dragging the unconscious Astalos between them.

Inquisitor Lucious turned to the crowd once more, scanning it. He had a feeling this was not the only heretic around, but given the spirit of the boy, he would have to do the questioning himself, to make sure there would be no escape attempts.

Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 23, 2011, 06:26:29 AM
Well. At least Astalos took some templars out. What happened to the attack on the inquisitor by loren's character?
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 23, 2011, 06:56:53 AM
The second templar kicked Astalos on the chest, pressing the air from his lungs and making him see stars. Then he heaved him up, and knocked him out.

A short while later, the inquisition moved back towards their ship, two of the templars dragging the unconscious Astalos between them.

Inquisitor Lucious turned to the crowd once more, scanning it. He had a feeling this was not the only heretic around, but given the spirit of the boy, he would have to do the questioning himself, to make sure there would be no escape attempts.

Dynamis careful hid his shock that his spell Frostbite had no effect on the Inquisitor who was looking the other way. The man clearly had some sort of relic that protected him. Carefully he avoided the gaze of the inquisitor as he joined the peasants who were turning to leave. As the Inquisitor's attention was directed to the opposite side of the crowd once more Dynamis quickly examined the Inquisitor's accoutrement looking for anything that seemed out of place averting his gaze in a smoothe motion as the Inquisitor began to turn his head back. By the time the Inquisitor's gaze was upon him again Dynamis looked like another peasant in the crowd. It would take some time to think about what he saw, but in the mean-time Dynamis muttered a spell quietly under his breath as he walked away from the Inquisitor but facing the two Templars dragging the unconscious Astalos. Only the man immediately to his right even noticed that he was talking. Soon a ball of lightning formed over the heads of the Templars and the unconcious Astalos. It might harm the stupid spell caster, but it was a chance he would take. In a flash lightning bolts struck down as the power of Ball Lightning (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/99) is released.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 23, 2011, 07:04:33 AM
First fire, now lightning. This was starting to be entertaining. Zuno decided the chaos below needed a little more fun. Zuno/cat twitched his tail and concentrated on drawing water onto the white-hot shield  - spontaneous magic (Control/Water - 4-1-2) (2 shifts).
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 23, 2011, 08:00:38 AM
First fire, now lightning. This was starting to be entertaining. Zuno decided the chaos below needed a little more fun. Zuno/cat twitched his tail and concentrated on drawing water onto the white-hot shield  - spontaneous magic (Control/Water - 4-1-2) (2 shifts).

3-2-2
Sea water rushed onto the melting shield. As the water touched the shield, it instantly turned into steam. After a minute, all the water pulled from the sea by the spell has evaporated. Only a black lump of iron was on the ground where the heated shield once was.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 23, 2011, 09:40:10 AM
Well. At least Astalos took some templars out. What happened to the attack on the inquisitor by loren's character?

You may have noticed that he didn't speak since then. Unless I made a mistake.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 23, 2011, 09:41:42 AM
It might harm the stupid spell caster, but it was a chance he would take. In a flash lightning bolts struck down as the power of Ball Lightning (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/99) is released.

As a matter of fact, it'll kill him, yes. As an effect 4 spell, since he has no protection, that's game over.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 23, 2011, 09:46:19 AM
I have to go away over the weekend, so this should take things out for now:


The two templars and the heretic were struck down where they stood, defenseless against the magic that was hitting them. Lucious, unable to do much ordering with this strange feel in his mouth he needed to have checked out, used a few gestures to initiate a retreat towards the ship. This town must be a haven for heretics, he thought, and made a mental note to ask the shipmaster on the condition of the cannons and fire-throwers as soon as he could speak again.
They took their dead brothers with them and left the heretic to rot, given that they could not carry a third body.

Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 23, 2011, 04:23:56 PM
Dynamis turned with the crowds to look as the three men were struck dead. "Oops" He thought momentarily. Decidedly more bold having killed two additional Templars and seeing nothing strange about the Inquisitor, Dynamis felt a rush of adrenaline as he stepped forward. He calls out at the Inquisitor, "Witch! Protect us! Witch! I saw her cast that spell which killed the Warlock! Witch!" Dynamis was pointing straight at a strikingly beautiful woman in extremely dirty clothes who made the mistake of turning angrily at the real spellcaster.

In quick motions with his hand inside his pockets he cast Cantrip of Cleansing (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/93) upon the woman. Who smiles luxuriously at the clean feeling that washes over her. Soon the crowd joins in with the calls for protection. "Kill her!" Shouts one man, "Burn her," yells another.

With all eyes upon the woman Dynamis prepares another two spells targeting the last two remaining Templars. Earthen Spikes (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/341) strike the first and then Earthen Spikes (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/341) strike the second Templar from below and the side. Briefly impaled upon the spikes one of them breaks his training and screams in pain before he collapses to the ground joining the dead brethren he was dragging. Leaving the Inquisitor alone and facing the 'witch'.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 23, 2011, 04:51:42 PM
First fire, now lightning. This was starting to be entertaining. Zuno decided the chaos below needed a little more fun. Zuno/cat twitched his tail and concentrated on drawing water onto the white-hot shield  - spontaneous magic (Control/Water - 4-1-2) (2 shifts).

OOC: Unclear how you could cast magic as a cat.  =)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 23, 2011, 05:15:40 PM
OOC: Unclear how you could cast magic as a cat.  =)

OOC - fair enough.  That does beg the question, though, what are the limits regarding the casting of spells? 

He could see the target, so it's not like he's shooting at something blindly.  He wasn't shape-shifted, according to the spell he's just controlling the cat's mind and using its senses, he's not actually being the cat (he's hiding in a nearby hayloft). 
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 23, 2011, 09:52:21 PM
OOC: He could see it as the cat, he still has relatively little knowledge of precisely how far it is away from him.  Just try throwing darts using a mirror, your control will be terrible.  You'll get it in the right area, but good luck hitting your actual target.  Better use a spell were close is good enough.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 25, 2011, 11:35:18 PM
OOC - fair enough.  That does beg the question, though, what are the limits regarding the casting of spells? 

A quick ruling: You are the caster of the spells, thus all spells originate from you, not the cat. The mind control does not provide a channel for magic, that would require an additional spell with a Base of "magic" - which doesn't exist.

So, theoretically, you could cast a spell as a cat on a target within LOS of both the cat and your own body, though targetting it would be tricky at least. Very tricky. Basically, your chances of hitting anything but your intended target are pretty good. But it's theoretically possible. But if your body is one place and the cat another, negative. Spells originate from your body.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 26, 2011, 07:53:54 PM
(10)
When a ball of lightning hit Astalos, he felt his heart stopping and beating again several times. Miraculously, his heart did not stop. But the spell burnt him from the inside and he could not even stand up. With all the strength left in him, Astalos casted spontaneous magic (Heal/Body - 4-2-1) (3 shifts), hoping this time things do not get out of control and make him younger.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on September 26, 2011, 08:04:54 PM
With all the strength left in him, Astalos casted spontaneous magic (Heal/Body - 4-2-1) (3 shifts)

Shifted to (Heal/Body - 1-2-4) [OOC: Let's not rip his body apart from that sudden gush of life flowing through him.]

Astalos felt little difference from the magic, apart from a stopping of pain. He still could not stand or really show any sign of life, to the outside world he still seemed dead. At least the pain had gone, but for how long?
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 26, 2011, 09:00:35 PM
Inquisitor Lucious was surprised. There was a lot more resistance than he had anticipated. Fortunately, the protective prayers will ensure the templars survival, but they would be out for quite a while, and most importantly, for now.

"Very well.", he announced, with a strong, unbroken voice to the crowd in general. "Will the guilty party please step forward?"

Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 26, 2011, 09:44:44 PM
The two templars lay on the ground bleeding profusely, while he originally thought them dead, the spell was blunted in some fashion. Given the nature of the order Dynamis surmised that their armor contained wards of some kind. The Inquisitor was another matter. As the Inquistior turned and called out to the crowd for the attacker to step forward jeers began to come out from the crowd. The witch hunters reputation having driven all the southern folk from the area only northerners and those raised in the colonies remained. Sympathy was not with the lone Inquisitor.

"Its the witch! She's right before you." One man cried, followed swiftly by another, "Show him witch! Show him your power!" The woman was utterly terrified, clearly the Inquisitor did not suspect her, though the crowd certainly did. The girl trembled in fear, unlike the others she had heard the stories of the black towers of the Inquisitors. She knew what fate awaited her, and the most terrifying thing was that she was a spellcaster herself. Her beauty was not entirely natural having been enhanced through the years with simple poltices and other formula that her aunt had taught her. Simple magic, nothing like a truly great spellcaster would be capable of. Afraid for her life now she took a small vial from her tunic and threw it to the ground sending up a large plume of smoke and ash. The girl emerges from the plume with murder in her eyes, she was not going to go quietly. A small dirk in her hand she charges the Inquistor shouting what appear to be curses, though in the din nobody can truly hear her.

Dynamis chuckles inwardly at his dumb luck. The crowd is cheering now, this is the most exciting thing to happen in ages. Joining the spectators he shouts out with glee. For a bit of added fun he casts Flaming Star (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/190) targeting the Inquisitor. Maybe the girl will live after all. A five pointed star ignites around the Inquisitor the flames rushing in to do him grevious harm.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on September 26, 2011, 10:29:53 PM
Kalan finally reached the cabin, his bruised leg aching from having to walk on it. He found a sheltered spot behind the cabin, hidden by trees so that he cannot be spotted by anyone looking out from the cabin - but more importantly, out of that damn wind and rain that was still coming down.

"I best make sure I wasn't followed" Kalan thought to himself and cast Protection of the Night (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/219) so that he would have a spirit to watch over him. Kalan pointed the spirit towards the path he had taken and had it ensure nobody followed him down it.

"But... What if they come through the forest itself" Kalan thought, getting rather paranoid now. That open grassland between the town and the forest had seemed like a long walk. He cast Protection of the Night (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/219) once more and instructed the spirit to climb a nearby tree and watch for wandering people.

Finally, to relieve the last bits of paranoia, Kalan cast Protection of the Night (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/219) a final time and had the spirit stay by him so that he may be instantly woken should the other two see someone approaching.

Feeling safe, Kalan laid down in a dry patch and went to sleep. He hoped that once he awoke, the aching from the copious amounts of alcohol and running will have subsided.

---

[OOC: Kinda cutting myself off as now I'll be waiting until morning or someone disturbing him, but seems sensible that someone who just ran away and is recovering from drink should go to sleep :P]
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 27, 2011, 12:03:47 AM
and the most terrifying thing was that she was a spellcaster herself.

Hm, that's good. We should discuss and decide whether players should be able to create NPC spellcasters or not. I tend towards "no". But it's allowed here as such a rule doesn't yet exist.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 27, 2011, 12:12:00 AM
Inquisitor Lucious felt the heat of the attack spell, and it burnt his armour, but caused little more than discomfort for himself.
He advanced upon the few peasants who had not fled, his eyes darting among them to make out his true enemy. The witch he discarded with a few quick Mind Bullets (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/49), and she fell to the ground, bleeding from the ears and unconscious. She would live and the questioning would reveal where she had learnt her tricks.

But there was a worthy opponent around, and without his templars, Lucious was forced to invoke the wrath of the gods. Their feeble magic would be no match for those granted the gift that they stole. The will of the gods, wielded by him, would crush their attempts to raise themselves higher than men should rise.

His glance and holy gestures created more Mind Bullets (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/49), felling an innocent bystander too terrified to move. In his third attempt, the Mind Bullets (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/49) hit Dynamis.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 27, 2011, 12:48:55 AM
(11)

Curse the healing magic. It never works. With a very sigh, Astalos decided to cast it one more time. At least he cannot feel the pain anymore, making things easier for him to focus. He focused magic energy around him and casted spontaneous magic (Heal/Body - 5-2-1) (3 shifts).
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 27, 2011, 01:14:23 AM
Zuno felt his control slipping away just when things were getting interesting. That damn tomcat was a stubborn one. Strong-willed. Fine, let him go. This voyeurism was awkward at best, regardless.

Zuno blinks and sits up in the hayloft, shaking his head. It always takes a moment for him to recover when he's been controlling another mind. Besides, he needs some quiet time to think. In the past he made sure to only use his powers to fleece helpless commoners, so he'd never needed to worry about wards or magical protections. This situation, though, was a dog of an entirely different color. First things first - devise some sort of protection for himself. Zuno concentrated and focused his mind inward, trying to build a mental wall between his mind and the rest of the world - spontaneous magic (Protect/Mind - 4-2-4) (11 shifts).

OOC: 11 shifts?  It's a protection spell, how could that possibly end badly? ;-)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 27, 2011, 01:16:18 AM
Hm, that's good. We should discuss and decide whether players should be able to create NPC spellcasters or not. I tend towards "no". But it's allowed here as such a rule doesn't yet exist.

OOC: I specifically set it up so that she 'thought' she was a spell caster, but in reality she's more of an alchemist.  I guess the major point is that an NPC spellcasters would be hedge wizards capable of doing practically nothing, or they'd be GMCs taking over the world.

Edit: [Insert evil laughter]
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 27, 2011, 01:18:13 AM
With more than 5 shifts, things can go badly. It will cause a discharge. I doubt what magic you are trying to cast. It will simply either explode or just fizzle.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 27, 2011, 01:30:20 AM
Inquisitor Lucious felt the heat of the attack spell, and it burnt his armour, but caused little more than discomfort for himself.
He advanced upon the few peasants who had not fled, his eyes darting among them to make out his true enemy. The witch he discarded with a few quick Mind Bullets (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/49), and she fell to the ground, bleeding from the ears and unconscious. She would live and the questioning would reveal where she had learnt her tricks.

But there was a worthy opponent around, and without his templars, Lucious was forced to invoke the wrath of the gods. Their feeble magic would be no match for those granted the gift that they stole. The will of the gods, wielded by him, would crush their attempts to raise themselves higher than men should rise.

His glance and holy gestures created more Mind Bullets (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/49), felling an innocent bystander too terrified to move. In his third attempt, the Mind Bullets (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/49) hit Dynamis.

As the Inquisitor began to cast a spell that Dynamis himself had created he recognized the movements of the hands and quickly errected a Earthen Shield (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/120) made of the cobblestones between himself and the Inquisitor. Hearing the Orbs thump into the shield dislodging some of the stones he peeks out from his protection. "Why hello there! Sorry about the mess, but you know how it is," as he continues to talk his fingers play over his spell book, "Say, would you mind holding onto this!" With a sweep of his arm out behind his cover he throws a Lightning Bolt (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/98) at the Inquisitor, "And this!" He says sending a Mana Spear (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/5) hurtling after the Lightning Bolt. Not willing to take chances Dynamis ducks back behind his cover and takes a quick step back ready to protect himself again.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 27, 2011, 01:34:32 AM
Zuno felt his control slipping away just when things were getting interesting. That damn tomcat was a stubborn one. Strong-willed. Fine, let him go. This voyeurism was awkward at best, regardless.

Zuno blinks and sits up in the hayloft, shaking his head. It always takes a moment for him to recover when he's been controlling another mind. Besides, he needs some quiet time to think. In the past he made sure to only use his powers to fleece helpless commoners, so he'd never needed to worry about wards or magical protections. This situation, though, was a dog of an entirely different color. First things first - devise some sort of protection for himself. Zuno concentrated and focused his mind inward, trying to build a mental wall between his mind and the rest of the world - spontaneous magic (Protect/Mind - 4-2-4) (11 shifts).

OOC: 11 shifts?  It's a protection spell, how could that possibly end badly? ;-)

The spell does more than just protect his mind from the rest of the world, it fizzles badly, sending several Mind Bullets hurtling into the wall beside him showering him will debris.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 27, 2011, 01:37:10 AM
(11)

Curse the healing magic. It never works. With a very sigh, Astalos decided to cast it one more time. At least he cannot feel the pain anymore, making things easier for him to focus. He focused magic energy around him and casted spontaneous magic (Heal/Body - 5-2-1) (3 shifts).

His body feels incredily good for all of two seconds before the magic keeping his guts in slowly dissipates [3,2,1].  Some of the burns are a little better, but the pain slams him hard, causing him to moan in agony.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 27, 2011, 02:00:21 AM
Wasn't shifts just shifting around of numbers? They can be reduced as well?

P.S - Can't find the question I asked Tom about the shift. But I think he said reduced numbers have to go somewhere instead of simply disappearing.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 27, 2011, 08:06:37 AM
With more than 5 shifts, things can go badly. It will cause a discharge. I doubt what magic you are trying to cast. It will simply either explode or just fizzle.

correct:
Quote
The side-effect must share the Base but can otherwise be
anything and hit anyone. It often affects the wizard himself.

So it will be a mind effect, but it can be any intent.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 27, 2011, 08:07:57 AM
Wasn't shifts just shifting around of numbers? They can be reduced as well?

P.S - Can't find the question I asked Tom about the shift. But I think he said reduced numbers have to go somewhere instead of simply disappearing.

Correct. There is conservation of magical energy. That's why it's called "shift".
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 27, 2011, 08:17:17 AM
As the Inquisitor began to cast a spell that Dynamis himself had created he recognized the movements of the hands and quickly errected a Earthen Shield (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/120) made of the cobblestones between himself and the Inquisitor. Hearing the Orbs thump into the shield dislodging some of the stones he peeks out from his protection. "Why hello there! Sorry about the mess, but you know how it is," as he continues to talk his fingers play over his spell book, "Say, would you mind holding onto this!" With a sweep of his arm out behind his cover he throws a Lightning Bolt (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/98) at the Inquisitor, "And this!" He says sending a Mana Spear (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/5) hurtling after the Lightning Bolt. Not willing to take chances Dynamis ducks back behind his cover and takes a quick step back ready to protect himself again.

The attacks seemed to hit something inbetween the two men, and almost break it. Inquisitor Lucious was hit, twice, but again his armour absorbed most of the damage. It was, however, breaking apart now.

"A true caster. We've not had your kind in the south for a long time. A good thing that I came prepared." - he then sent a few prayers to his gods, one of which turned into  The Gasping Breath (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/242) precisely at the point where the gods were asked to rob his enemies of their breath. But that was just a distraction. Towards the end of the prayer came the real attack - Discombobulation (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/46).
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 27, 2011, 08:49:48 AM
(12)

Things are not getting better it seems. Astalos thought. His miserable healing magics were failing him. He decided to try one more time. But in a more safer place. He crawled his way to the closest building and sat down on the floor. He then quickly casted spontaneous magic (Heal/Body - 4-1-1) (1 shift), spontaneous magic (Heal/Body - 4-2-1) (3 shifts)and spontaneous magic (Heal/Body - 3-2-1) (2 shifts).
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 27, 2011, 01:41:55 PM
(12)

Things are not getting better it seems. Astalos thought. His miserable healing magics were failing him. He decided to try one more time. But in a more safer place. He crawled his way to the closest building and sat down on the floor. He then quickly casted spontaneous magic (Heal/Body - 4-1-1) (1 shift), spontaneous magic (Heal/Body - 4-2-1) (3 shifts)and spontaneous magic (Heal/Body - 3-2-1) (2 shifts).

You absolutely need to read the "notes on magic" part about durations. All of these spells would kill you because you are doing major changes to your body instantly. No way that's not going to rip things apart.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 27, 2011, 05:32:59 PM
Let's replace those with this then. I think this is some what better. spontaneous magic (Heal/Body - 2-2-3) (4 shifts)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 27, 2011, 06:46:13 PM
The attacks seemed to hit something inbetween the two men, and almost break it. Inquisitor Lucious was hit, twice, but again his armour absorbed most of the damage. It was, however, breaking apart now.

"A true caster. We've not had your kind in the south for a long time. A good thing that I came prepared." - he then sent a few prayers to his gods, one of which turned into  The Gasping Breath (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/242) precisely at the point where the gods were asked to rob his enemies of their breath. But that was just a distraction. Towards the end of the prayer came the real attack - Discombobulation (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/46).
Dynamis heard the chanting of the first spell and stood his ground behind the cobblestone wall waiting. He listened carefully and after the first spell was released he continued to breathe normally, until suddenly he didn't. Thinking furiously he recognized some sort of control air spell. The other caster must've been able to see him through the small gap at chest level. Diving to the ground he hides himself completely in the shadow of the wall as the Inquisitor incanted his next spell. Dynamis' mind tingles as the energies of a mind spell disorient him for a bit. While he couldn't be sure he was almost certain it was a spell he himself had once reviewed. Lucky for him it required hard clear line of sight to take effect. Otherwise he'd be on the ground blubbering about his mother. The mistake would be the end of the Inquisitor, of that Dynamis resolved.

This Inquisitor was powerful, almost too powerful for Dynamis. Only his wits would keep him alive through this fight. Shaking his head a bit he gauged he could throw another three lightning bolts at the Inquisitor. Maybe four. His hands stroking his book he rolled out with an outstretched hand at the open target of the Inquisitor. His arrogance would be his undoing. A Lightning Bolt (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/98) shot out at the man before him, then another Lightning Bolt (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/98), and another Lightning Bolt (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/98). The magickal stores of his book nearing exhaustion and his mind starting to go a bit dim from lack of air Dyanmis threw up a quick Air Shield (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/234) between him and the Inquisitor and hazarded There Can Be Only One (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/279) directed at the anti-thetical inquisitor. Doubtless his foe would shield himself from some of the blows, but the blunder of not fully understanding the Discombobulate had doubtless cost him dearly in magickal energies. This fight would goto Dynamis, surprise and long practice had served him well.

Edit: For the curious Dynamis has about 3 mana left from the start of the scene now.  Are we going to try and limit ourselves Tom or just play it out with whatever new reserves we've gotten?  This would've been quite the show for some low level wizards as it is.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 28, 2011, 01:02:05 AM
The lightning bolts smashed away the defenses of Inquisitor Lucious, and singed his body. He was taking serious damage by now, and only quick thinking and one of the relics embedded in his armour saved his life as an invisible blade almost chopped his head off. This was a worthy foe, indeed. Lucious decided to retreat - for the moment.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on September 28, 2011, 01:22:03 AM
The protections of the Inquisitor had been broken. That much was clear. Some powerful ritual no doubt. As he began to retreat Dynamis was quickly running out of air. Not wishing to die having already won he quickly exhaled and cast Breath of Air (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/243) upon himself. Then in a Thundering Shout (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/350) yelled to the crowds, "Stop him, his cannons will destroy us all!" who were left only with a ringing in their ears.

Staggering to his feet, Dynamis felt for his book wishing to cast Stumble, anything to slow the Inquistor, but found that he had no energy left. The crowds however were now alerted to their potential danger. These colonists were not about to let some southerner destroy their homes over magic. In their eyes the only damage done was by the Inquisitor when he had indiscriminately wounded several innocents. Two burly longshoreman stood in the way of the Inquisitor. Others began to converge on the man. Street urchins began to strip the armors of the dead Templars, searching for coin pouches. A few handy men picked up the Templar's swords.

Knowledge is power Dynamis thought to himself as he stood utterly exhausted of his magickal abilities. Curious how things would play out he, but cognizant of his weakness he slipped away towards an alleyway.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 28, 2011, 02:37:33 AM
(13)

Astalos stopped trying to healing himself after the third try. He had healed enough to walk back to his inn. He casted spontaneous magic (Move/Body - 3-1-3) (3 shifts) hoping he can move a bit quicker.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 28, 2011, 03:51:56 AM
(13)
Astalos stopped trying to healing himself after the third try. He had healed enough to walk back to his inn. He casted spontaneous magic (Move/Body - 3-1-3) (3 shifts) hoping he can move a bit quicker.

(shifted to 1-4-2)

The entire street around Astalos suddenly became incredibly slippery - as if he were walking on ice, or a banana peel.  He suddenly found himself laying on his back, seeing stars after his head hit the cobblestones.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zane on September 28, 2011, 03:54:13 AM
Zuno brushed the splinters from the shattered wall off his arm and out of his hair.  Well that was certainly interesting, he thought. I definitely need to figure out how I did that ... it'd be plenty useful.

Exhausted by his activities and ensconced in a relatively comfortable and secluded place, Zuno curled up to get some rest and recover from a rather eventful day.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 28, 2011, 04:24:25 AM
(14)

What a mess, Astalos thought. People on the street were having trouble standing. The magic soon disappeared but his bruise stayed. He just decided to take a long walk since his wounds felt much better.

As he entered the inn, he realized the place was almost empty. Most people must have gone to the harbour to see the battle between the caster who cannot even aim properly and the ruthless inquisitor who pretends being blessed by a god.

The names of gods are actually the names of dragons who shielded the south while the north suffered. The foolish templars and inquisitors believe simply killing a spellcaster will stop magical activities happening in the south but they are nothing more than naive fools. The body is only a shell and nothing more. Once a caster dies, he can simply travel through the astral planes and occupy another body. Of course, it is only limited those with a sufficient control over their souls. Most casters who focus on primal spells cannot even dream of accomplishing such acts. Astalos was thinking about taking over another person but thankfully his body manage to stay alive.

He needed to leave this town before those templars recover. He needed to remember more spells to defend himself.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Ironsun on September 28, 2011, 02:52:25 PM
The inn, Astalos entered, was named "The Salty Mug", a little gin mill with some guest rooms near to the harbor. The lower floor was quite empty,  just one of the several tables was occupied by a thin, short guy in dark clothes and a young woman, possibly the waitress. 

"No, Saniel. You are quite a charmer, aren't you? But - no - I won't join you in your room tonight.  Ah ... we have a new guest."

The waitress left the table and closed in to Astalos. However the mage was lost in thought about dragons, magic and templars and didn't realize the waitress at first and there was a moment of silence.

Still sitting at his table,  Saniel raised an eyebrow.  Not knowing that he was dealing with a powerful mage, he casted Focus Attention (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/302) on Astalos in order to direct his attention to the waitress.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on September 28, 2011, 09:42:49 PM
Kalan tossed and turned in his sleep, the alcohol was still flowing around his body and causing him to have terrible dreams. Nobody knows what he was dreaming of, not even Kalan, but he muttered a few words and let out a spontaneous magic (Change/Death - 1-1-4) towards a squirrel that had appeared to inspect the sleeping mage.

After letting the spell fly, Kalan grunted a little, rolled over and began to snore rather loudly.

---

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    * 0.50 concentration expended
    * 0.31 energy expended

[OOC: This is a really long night. Which brings me to the question, who has power over saying "it's now day"? Anyone taking part in the roleplay, or does it have to be a GM?
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 28, 2011, 11:14:46 PM
(14)

Astalos suddenly felt like looking at the waitress for a brief second as he was moving toward the stairs. But he soon remembered he had more important things to do than standing and staring at a person. He walked across the hallway and entered his room. Then he quickly grabbed his bag which contained all his belongings and walked out of the inn after paying his fee.

He decided to leave the town and head for an old fortress he heard about while staying at the inn.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on September 29, 2011, 12:13:27 AM
Two burly longshoreman stood in the way of the Inquisitor. Others began to converge on the man. Street urchins began to strip the armors of the dead Templars, searching for coin pouches. A few handy men picked up the Templar's swords.

Lucious was wounded and exhausted, but his training was excellent. As he looked upon the villagers, his face has the expression of someone you'd only mess with if your other option was being slowly roasted over coals, and even then only on second thought.

"The first one to lay hands on me will find out how the inquisition can make a man survive a fortnight of uninterrupted torture.", he said, softly but loud enough for everyone nearby to hear, "And you all know that taking a templars or a holy mans belongings leads to being cursed by the gods, don't you?", he added with a look towards those picking on the templars.

The peasants were frightened, confused, but not as willing to just submit as those in the south would have been. They didn't know just how many more templars and inquisitors the ship contained.

Their hesitation gave Lucious enough time to leave the scene. Tomorrow, he would put a hefty bounty on the head of the spellcaster who had wounded him. On the head only. He had no intention to have the villagers as enemies, the common people were usually afraid of magic and often good allies. He just had to make sure they knew their place. He would need a show of force in the morning, and a few friendly gestures.

And he would need prayers, in case the spellcaster attacked again.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 29, 2011, 01:02:36 AM
(15)

"Hmm..."

As Astalos looked around him, he realized he was completely lost. Trees after trees, patches after patches of grass... He was checking his direction by reading stars and it had never failed him until now. Something was odd about this place. Something was preventing him from reaching the fortress.

Maybe the fortress was once a dungeon of an ancient spell caster? Something must be affecting his sense of direction. In order to go forward, he has to stop this phenomena from affecting his mind. He casted Shielded Mind (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/124).

Once the spell stopped the unknown influence, he could see an entrance to the fortress... and something right under the arch of the entrance. It was an empty suit of armour made from some kind of black materials.

Astalos slowly walked toward it. As he got closer to the standing armour, he felt his hairs standing. When he was about five meters away from the armour, he realized the helm of the armour moved a little bit as if it was watching him.

He unsheathed his sword just in case the armour attacks him. It sounded like a non-sense but he wanted to make sure.

And he was right.

As he was walking past the armour, it moved its arms and swung the giant sword it was carrying. He tried to block the sword by tilting his sword but he realized it was a mistake. As the giant sword hit his sword, he quickly casted Air Shield (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/234), The giant sword broke his sword like a twig and hit his magic shield. The shield deflected the sword and caused the armour to lose balance. But as the armour was about to hit the ground, runic symbols appeared on the surface of the armour and the armour quickly regained its balance.

Astalos watched this with shock. This armour was a guardian. And it was a powerful one. Powerful enough to use magic. It was nothing like what spellcasters use. The magic the armour just used was not refined or structured like those of spellcasters'. It was more primitive yet powerful and dangerous.

Astalos quickly took a few steps back to keep some distance from the armour. He realized this was not going to be an easy fight. Maybe even tougher than the battle with the templars. At least the templars were beatable.

The armour stared at him for about ten seconds then charged at him. As the armour charged toward him, he quickly used Wall of Flame (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/201) and Ignite (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/119).
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 29, 2011, 04:27:34 AM
(16)

The armour-guardian stopped as the wall of flame surrounded Astalos. Instead of trying to go through the wall, it tried to cut the wall with its sword. As it swung the sword, the ignite spell hit the sword. It increased the temperature of the sword, causing it to turn red.

Astalos believed this was his chance. He casted Air Shield (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/234) just in case the sword penetrates his fire walls, and sent Ignite (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/119) and Lump (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/170) to the guardian.

The giant sword slashed through the wall and hit the shield. The shield managed to deflect the attack once again but the guardian did not lose its balance like the last time. But the ignite spell hit it in the chest and the lump hit the same spot. The combo worked nicely and it managed to push the guardian a few meters. It even dented the chest plate of the guardian.

But the small victory was short lived as the runic words appeared around the chest plate of the guardian, it started to recover its original shape. Realizing it was impossible to beat this thing without a spell powerful enough to imprison the guardian, Astalos ran into the fortress while the guardian was healing.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Ironsun on September 29, 2011, 11:26:56 AM
In the morning Saniel spent his last few coins on a small breakfast in the "Salty Mug" and it was clear that he had to earn some coin pretty soon.  Now,  you can't pin a letter on the city hall "Experienced spellcaster is looking for  decent work" ,  for even in the colonies there always could be some templers around and you don't want to do slave work in a high security prison in the south after all. Therefore the young mage had to become a bit more creative.

His first thought was with the local bank, but that wasn't a project he could handle on his own. Therefore Saniel took a stroll through the city, looking for possible targets.  First it was time for some preperation.  He stopped in a dark corner, took some loamy mud from the ground and casted Clay Mask (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/115). Now, he was no artist, but he did have swift fingers.  He altered his face just  little bit, but enough to make it impossible to be recognized by normal means.

Now where to get some gold? Saniel made his way through the harbor and first spent some thoughts about braking into the harbour master's office.  However,  his attention was drawn to the other side of the street, where a well dressed merchant was leaving the  carpenter's workshop, obviously looking satisfied. The merchants money bag was dangling at the right side of his belt, but the man always had his hand on it. While the target was walking down the street Saniel took a quick look around, approached the merchant from behind and casted Flea pact (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/132) on the man's left hand.  As soon as the merchant took his right hand from the bag in order to scratch himself, Saniel closed in from behind and with a swift movement cut the bag from the belt.  After that the young spellcaster quickly turned away in order to vanish into one of the small  alleys, leading further into town.


 
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Anaris on September 29, 2011, 03:45:34 PM
Esseron grumbles and sits up as he hears the commotion coming from the main entrance to the fortress. "Who's being fool enough to tangle with that guardian construct?" he mutters. Concentrating, he seeks a Bug's eye view (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/230) of the scene below. When he gets only a view of stalks of grass, he curses and tries another Bug's eye view (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/230). This time he sees a wall of fire.

"Well, that's not terribly helpful," he growls. He stands and walks over to the ruined wall of the room he has been using as a bedroom. The wall has crumbled above about four feet, and the ceiling in this portion of the room is gone, though the rest of the room is reasonably intact.

Peering over the wall, Esseron looks down on the area in front of the fortress's main entrance. He folds his arms and watches the battle between the guardian construct and the brash young spellcaster for a short while. When the construct falls back, he raises an eyebrow. "Hm. Impressive," he murmurs. "That's the first one who's even been able to dent the thing."

As the young man darts toward the entrance, Esseron speaks some quiet words, and casts Flea pact (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/132) at his right leg, then Flea pact (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/132) at his left leg, and finally attempts to make him Stumble (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/332).

"Let's see if he can go another round with the guardian construct," Esseron muses, grinning. This is the best entertainment he's had in days.

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:
7.33 concentration expended
4.67 energy expended
2 XP in Perceive gained
3 XP in Mind gained
4 XP in Harm gained
1 XP in Control gained
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Ironsun on September 29, 2011, 05:16:52 PM
Now that Saniel had some gold, it was time to get mobile.  There were several stables in the city, one of them at the outskirts. It was quite a way to get there and the stables where located on a hill, but some locals told him that this one had the best horses in all Mahrstadt.

That way the young spellcaster made his way up to the northern hill passing both the inner town and the residential quarter.  The hill was higher than he had imagined and when he finally arrived, he was breathing heavily. The large stables were easily found, but another thing drew Saniel's attention. Further in the north (OOC:?) there were some flashes of fire near a distant castle.  Was someone trying to create a signal fire?  Strucked by curiosity,  Saniel casted Hawk Eye (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/122) in order to see more. He was again astonished by the effect of this spell as he was able to see the castle in great detail and ... yes ... there seemed to be  fight.  A  strange golem like creature was fighting  with a man. Saniel quickly ended the spell and went to the stables to buy a horse and some rope.

A few minutes later he was riding on a brown sprinter and closing in to the castle.  Saniel wasn't sure if the stranger was in need of any help, but he would find out soon enough.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 30, 2011, 02:27:35 AM
(17)
[When Astalos was running toward the entrance, he felt something trying to breach his shield around his brain. Someone casted mind spells... and those spells were obviously not beneficial. Thankfully, spells were not strong enough to break his shielded mind. After running for a few meters, he managed to enter the fortress.]

The guardian did not enter the fortress. It was possible that the guardian was only there to stop intruders from entering the fortress. But why would it not chase him? The guardian was facing Astalos but was not doing anything. Maybe it was design to keep things coming out from the fortress?

Now that Astalos thought about the fight, the guardian did not go for his head. It was merely trying to disable him by cutting arms or legs off.

If the guardian is indeed trying to keep things coming out from the fortress, it will try to kill him if he tries to leave. He decided to test his theory. As he stepped outside, the guardian lifted its sword. It was very different from when he tried to enter the fortress. The guardian did not react until he walked past it but this time it reacted immediately. And there was one more thing. The guardian's sword was glowing this time. It was engulfed in flames and some lumps of earth.

The sword was using Astalos's spells. Of course it was more like the sword absorbed the essence of his spells. It was not actually using the spells themselves.

Now Astalos was trapped in the fortress. He had some food he bought from the markets and the inn but he was not sure if it was going to be enough to last him over four days. He had no choice for now but to go forward.

He took out a lamp from his beg and used Ignite (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/119) to lit it up. Then he walked deeper into the fortress.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Anaris on September 30, 2011, 02:46:07 AM
He took out a lamp from his beg and used Ignite (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/119) to lit it up. Then he walked deeper into the fortress.

Ah...did you not notice getting Flea Pact x2 and Stumble cast on Astalos?
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 30, 2011, 03:46:59 AM
Still have my shielded mind spell on. It lasts for an entire day :) Gotta try harder to make that fool Astalos dance!
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: De-Legro on September 30, 2011, 04:15:34 AM
Still have my shielded mind spell on. It lasts for an entire day :) Gotta try harder to make that fool Astalos dance!

Then should the RP not state the fact that the spells failed? It helps the flow if things don't just look like they are ignored and everyone is expected to realise why.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 30, 2011, 04:23:12 AM
Done. They are inside [ ].
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Morningstar on September 30, 2011, 04:58:15 AM
Ah...did you not notice getting Flea Pact x2 and Stumble cast on Astalos?

I believe it was said casting a spell against a PC should warrant stopping to allow them to react. I'm sure once the certamen engine is ready that will be a little more clear.

Also, is there any designation we could use for OOC chatter on a RP thread? Perhaps with a spoiler code/tag. I'd still rather it happen in a parallel thread and not interrupt the story, but if it has to be done, let's come up with a standard designation.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on September 30, 2011, 05:03:15 AM
You know the battlemaster chat server? I believe it is #battlemaster

We have one for this game as well. It's #spellmaster

http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=%23spellmaster
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Ironsun on September 30, 2011, 10:05:44 AM
When Saniel arrived at the castle, the was no fight going on anymore. However that golem-like creature ws still there. "Oh no!", he thought. "I'm too late. But still ... there is no body to be seen"

The young mage closed in  to the creature and stoped a few yards before him. The thing was standing still.  Hmmm ... perhaps somebody ws at home.

Sometimes the word was mightier then the sword, so he decided to be polite and yelled as loud as he could : "Good afternoon!  My name is Saniel Leavey.  May I humbly request to be received in audience?"
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Ironsun on September 30, 2011, 04:14:29 PM
Unfortunately there was no reply to the spellcasters call, so he had to change his tactics. Saniel turned away from the heavily guarded gate and made his way to the eastern wall of the castle. He started to breath deeply in order to get focused and touched the castle wall with his left hand.  Then he muttered one of his mantras of might and casted Miner's Touch (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/127) to get a small hole, then Miner's Touch (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/127) again to enlarge it. Keeping his focus he concentrated and kept chanting his mantra. After a few seconds he again casted Miner's Touch (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/127) to finally get a passage large enough to crawl inside.  As soon as he made it through,  he casted Cloaking Shadows (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/259) and took a good look around.

He obviously was at the ground floor of the castle just behind the entry hall and decided to make his way further into the fortress.  A place that well guarded simply had to have some gold inside. True, he came to this place in order to help the stranger, but if he would be able to make  some coin at the same time so be it.

That way Saniel moved deeper into the castle, trying to find both the stranger and some coin.

[OOC: Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:
4.94 concentration expended
5.07 energy expended
3 XP in Change gained
3 XP in Earth gained]
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Bedwyr on September 30, 2011, 08:43:38 PM
Garath's easy smile never changed, nor did his eyes narrow (storytellers learn very early to control their faces) but his concern was rising.  He and Wendella had made it out of town well enough, and once her shaking at such a close brush with magic and inquisitors had subsided he had taken full advantage of the human life-affirming instinct that came into play after reminders of mortality...And just as well, for if they had arrived earlier, he might have missed another blatant use of magic to get into the castle.

How many spellcasters were there here?  There was something odd about the place, he was not feeling drained as he should by the magic he had used, after all, but could that account for so many?  Garath thought not.  Not with such obvious magical use in an area patrolled by the Inquisition.  That betokened stupidity, inexperience, and ignorance, all of which made it unlikely that these other mages had discovered this locale intentionally.

Which meant something was drawing them here.  And he had a good guess that the "something" was in that castle, or perhaps under it.

Garath liked playing with other people's minds.

He did not like his mind being played with.

"I think we'll need the shelter of the castle later, but let's wait long enough for whoever that was to get well away from us.  And I know just the thing to pass the time..."

The former barmaid had a hesitant look, and started a little as Garath touched her again.  He was clearly more than he seemed, and had already paid her more than a month's wage...And he could make her feel very, very, very good when he chose, but he had tastes that were...She had never...

But when she looked into his eyes, saw she had really no choice at all.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 01, 2011, 03:13:47 AM
(18)

The fortress was indeed big, too big for his torch to brighten even the entrance hall. It was probably bigger in its glory days but now it was nothing more than a crumbling ruin with some kind of magic working in the area. As Astalos walked through the halls and hallways of the fortress, he felt something was leading him.

After five minutes of walking, he found stairs leading to lower levels. He hesitated for a second but decided to see what is inside.

When he reached the end of the stairs, he found a long hallway. The torch was too dim to show him the end of the hallway so he decided to use Blinding Light (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/113) to see the lay out of the place. The spell allowed him to see the whole hallway for a brief second and he managed to catch a glimpse of where he was going.

Past the long hallway, he found spiral stairs which descended farther down. It was too strange. Why would someone build a fortress like this. The structure was big and simple unlike other fortresses which were more complicated to confused enemies. Putting questions aside, he took the stairs and went down.

The stairs ended after a couple thousand steps and at the last step, there was a ladder attached. The ladder was going through a tiny hole at the top of a dome like structure..

Through the hole, Astalos managed to reach what seemed like the very bottom of the fortress. It was a tiny room with the dome sealing, with runic words carved on the dome to an alter on the floor. On the alter there was a red book, glowing and calling.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 01, 2011, 03:27:29 AM
A glowing red book filled with pictures of naked women?! What kind of evil magic is this!
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Ironsun on October 01, 2011, 11:33:27 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on October 01, 2011, 02:12:00 PM
When he reached the end of the stairs, he found a long hallway. The torch was too dim to show him the end of the hallway so he decided to use Blinding Light (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/113) to see the lay out of the place. The spell allowed him to see the whole hallway for a brief second and he managed to catch a glimpse of where he was going.

Cursing, Astalos remembered the spell details - it was to blind someone, not to provide illumination. It took a while until he could see again. Some days he wished spells were more flexible, but he didn't feel like using spontaneous magic at this point.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on October 01, 2011, 02:13:09 PM
Ignite (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/119)

In the second round of spell acceptance, we'll probably reject this one with a request to make clear whether it is to burn someone or to ignite something, which should be Create/Fire instead.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Nathan on October 01, 2011, 03:53:10 PM
Kalan awoke from his sleep. His head was thumping, his throat was dry and his leg still ached from falling from the wall. But he hadn't forgotten his task: get as far away from the town as possible before some Templars came for his head. Without much of a second thought, he decided to head off for the fort he had seen the night before, hoping it would be a place of shelter until he could return to help the other magicians taken by the Templars - it was his fault those other two in the bar had been taken, so he was going to rescue them... eventually... maybe...

He was still a good mile away from the fortress, but he could clearly see the entrance from here along with something in front of it. It looked heavily armoured, much like those Templars were. Not wanting to risk running into them again in case, Kalan made his way to the western side of the fortress to look for a way in. He spotted one, the wall was crumbling away and looked as though he might be able to climb up if only he could get high enough to reach the caps where bricks had fallen away. A ladder was out of the question, but perhaps he didn't need one. Kalan took a seed that had fallen from a nearby tree and planted it in the ground at the base of the wall. He stepped back a metre or so and then cast Nature's bounty (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/14).

The seed grew into a large tree, just tall enough for Kalan to reach to where the wall was crumbling. He climbed up, slipped through the gap in the wall and found himself on a large balcony. With only one door off, Kalan head towards it and whatever it was that awaited him inside.

---

OOC:

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    * 1.20 concentration expended
    * 6.00 energy expended
    * 1 XP in Change gained
    * 6 XP in Earth gained


Nobody thought to stumble across Kalan on their way to the fortress? Boo! :P

Also, Steam Punk in SpellMaster? Not sure if I like the idea of mechanical warriors guarding old castles, doesn't seem to fit for me. Unless of course it's not mechanical, but just a suit of armour held together by magic.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 01, 2011, 06:09:12 PM
In the second round of spell acceptance, we'll probably reject this one with a request to make clear whether it is to burn someone or to ignite something, which should be Create/Fire instead.

Now you mention it, it doesn't make sense lol. It should really be create/fire. The problem with that would be, creating fire beside someone who hurt the person?

P.S so spells are not so flexible huh. That sucks.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on October 01, 2011, 06:59:47 PM
Now you mention it, it doesn't make sense lol. It should really be create/fire. The problem with that would be, creating fire beside someone who hurt the person?

P.S so spells are not so flexible huh. That sucks.

No, create would not harm, at least not reliably.

And yes, spells are inflexible. There should be a reason for using spontaneous magic or rituals. :-)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 01, 2011, 07:11:13 PM
Spontaneous sucks. Period. Never worked so well for me.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on October 01, 2011, 08:16:31 PM
Spontaneous sucks. Period. Never worked so well for me.

You need to limit it to within your abilities. The fewer shifts there are, the closer it'll be to what you imagined. Whoever completes it can't just have it do whatever.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 02, 2011, 09:44:20 PM
(19)

"Ahm ... Good afternoon, Master. This is quite an extraordinary place, don't you think. Perhaps I can be of any assistance?."

"Hmm.. you are from the inn, are you not?"

While Astalos was thinking about the purpose of the book, a stranger came down from the ladder. Astalos recognized the face from the inn. He must have followed him all the way here.

Astalos turned away from the book to talk to the person. But even before he lifted one of his foot, the book started to glow brighter... as if it was waiting for two people to enter the room. The carved runic words started to glow as if they were reacting to the book. When the light from the book met the ladder, the ladder turned into dust.

Astalos quickly realized something has gone horribly wrong. As the ladder disappeared quickly, the entrance to the upper levels closed as well.

Astalos's eyes turned away from the closed entrance to see the book. The book was floating in the mid air, still glowing brighter than anything in the room.

"It seems we are trapped here. We need to find a way out before we run out of air to breathe. I will study the runic words on the walls. Why don't you try finding a way to escape from this place? Just do not touch the book. If it is a book of summoning, we will have to deal with something ugly in this tight place."

Astalos gathered his energy to cast Read Languages (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/229). It will not tell him anything about the power of the words themselves but it will allow him to read what they mean at least as people of the old used runic words to communicate.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Ironsun on October 02, 2011, 09:55:03 PM
Saniel frowned.  He refused to die in this rotten cellar. If he was going to pass away, at least he wanted to do so as a rich man.

"Alright. I'll lhave a look around. "

The walls were carved with runes, painted with black and red colour. The young spellcaster touched the runes in order to find any mechanism or trap doors, but there was nothing to be found ... and it was getting quite  heavy to breath in the meanwhile.

" By the way,  I'm Saniel Leavey.  May I ask your name,  good Sir?"
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 02, 2011, 10:51:43 PM
(20)

"Call me Astalos."

The spell allow him to read the meaning of the runes. The book was a result of some kind of a ritual. The runes described the ritual in details. How much liters of blood, grams of bones, and gems.

The runes carved in the walls were nothing more than description of the ritual. The ones with magic were carved on the alter and the book itself. Each page of the book was made from powdered gems with special spells. The book itself was dipped into a pool of blood for a month to contain enough life energy to sustain itself. All this for what?
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Ironsun on October 03, 2011, 05:01:38 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 07, 2011, 01:51:05 AM
(21)

The light emitted from the book was starting to get darker and colder. When the light contacted his skin, he felt a chill down his spine. Something foul was going on and he had to do something before things get out of his hands. He quickly poured everything in his bag on the floor.

A couple lump of bread, three bottles of water, two potions made from basic herbs, a branch struck by a lightning bolt... and a couple sticks of chalk. He quickly grabbed two sticks and gently threw them to Saniel.

"Start picking out runes we need for a ritual. We need the runes to suppress whatever comes out of the book. I will draw a magic circle for the ritual. We can use that alter to focus our energy. We have to move quickly before the seal of the book breaks."

Astalos grabbed a couple sticks of chalk himself to draw the magic circle and calculate what he needed for the ritual. Just in case things get out of hands, he decided to draw another circle around the original circle to perform a ritual for attack magic.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: deepevil on October 12, 2011, 09:31:31 AM
Deepevil walked amidst the ruins of a craggled forest, searching for those of like mind. He thought he saw a well-deserved snack skittering by and decided to practice shedding a bit of light on what might be his last morsel for the evening. Blinding Flash (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/25)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 12, 2011, 07:22:29 PM
(22)

Astalos was going to try and control the creature trapped inside the book but he soon realized the task was beyond his ability. Only thing he could do now was to try his best to destroy the book before whatever the evil sealed in the book escapes.

Astalos walked away from the magic circle surrounding the alter. He bit the tip of his index finger to activate the circle. As his blood dropped on the circle drawn with chalk, the circle started to glow.

"What has been written in blood will be erased with blood..."

As Astalos began the ritual, the runes started to become dim as if the energy within the runes were being drained.

Ritual = Power Level 100, Harm/Mind 10/11. Runes (+1), Magic Circle (+1) to Harm and Mind. Harm/Mind 11/12. = Total 9 hours.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 20, 2011, 04:38:59 AM
(23)

The runes glowed no more. Only the circle surrounding the alter and the book glowed brightly.

Astalos could almost touch the magic energy the circle has gathered. The ritual magic was ready to be released.

"Be praised oh great Nierossa, the last goddess to smile for us casters,
the master of words, the guardian of oaths, the punisher of liars.

May my voice reach thy ears. May this ritual catch thy eyes.

As I have been truthful to my words, I ask of thee to respect the words of my will."

Astalos stood up from where he was sitting and released gathered energy toward the book, floating above the alter. The light emitted from the circle was focused onto the book. The book started to turn into ashes from the very bottom. As it incinerated, it made a horrible scream which echoed inside the room.

The room started to crumble as the scream from the book and the light from the circle struggled with each other. Astalos tried his best to maintain the circle and resist the scream from breaking the runes he has written around the circle.

The book eventually turned into nothing more than a pile of ashes. The scream overwhelmed by the silence. It was all over. Astalos sat in front of the nearest wall, his back against the wall, to take a break from hours of casting.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Valast on October 22, 2011, 06:54:53 PM
Although the noise of the harbor had been ongoing through the morning, it was the toll of a high pitched bell which caused Valen to spring up into a sitting position, straw sticking out of his hair in every direction, and empty bottles falling over as he moved.

Blinking repeatedly to help his eyes adjust to the half light that shone through the thatch roof above he surveyed the room (as he had done many times before when waking half drunk from what he hoped had been a wonderful night)... Nothing out of the ordinary, his clothes hung from a nail near by, a half full bottle of mead was within reach, as was a rather buxom woman with long curly red hair.

Hmmm..so it WAS a good night The young man thought as a few memories began to flow back into his clouded mind. But who is this lovely here, hmm?

Boom! Thuuuump The sound startled Valen a bit but not half as much as the voice did.

"Asheia! Where are you!" boomed the voice from below...causing a goat to bay and chickens to scuttle skittishly...and the familiar voice making it somewhat more clear to Valen that he had slept the night in the barn behind the tavern he had been enjoying...

The One-eyed Mermaid was by no means the most luxurious of establishments, even for the harbor area. Yet it was a great place if you wished to find a game of chance, a good drink, and...

apparently the beautiful wife of a very large and angry tavern owner he finished his thought with a tilt of his head and a small smile at the predicaments of life he finds himself in all too often.

Jumping to his feet he quickly put on his clothes, the noise of his movements certainly alerting the man below that someone was in the loft...which was becoming obvious by the shaking of the ladder as it was being climbed.

Valen took a step toward the mow door at the front of the loft, he knew it was the only way out for him now...but then he stopped and turned back to Asheia, who had woken and now stood silently and confused.

"Ahh dear, I must be going you see..." He stopped what he was thinking to say, taken in by her beauty again. "I was your best... and you WILL tell all of your better looking friends hmmm?"

spontaneous magic (Control/Mind - 2-2-5) (7 shifts)

And then he was off, flinging open the door and ready to jump.

----
OOC:

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    * 2.50 concentration expended
    * 5.00 energy expended
    * 2 XP in Control gained
    * 5 XP in Mind gained

Am I on the right track here?
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 22, 2011, 07:54:29 PM
You are on the right track. But you have to stop after using any spontaneous magic. And magic with 7 shifts is very dangerous. Anything above 4 or 5 can cause a discharge which can cause bad bad things. The reason you stop after using spontaneous magics is to give other people chance to change your spells. Those shifts change your spell effects. 5/1/5 with 3 shifts can become anything from 2/4/5 to 5/4/2 but the general effect of the magic will remain the same. If you cast a spell which will enable you to move faster, it is not going to make things around you slippery . It might not make you as fast as you wanted or faster than you wanted for a short time or a long time.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Valast on October 22, 2011, 09:05:19 PM
Ok I understand the need for halting RP at a moment like that...and it was poorly written, should have implied my desire/preperation to do that action rather then saying it was done.

However I need a bit of help understanding the math so that I fully understand.

Control was the intent... my skill level 4
Mind was the base, again my skill level 4

intent/base/time for this was 2/2/5

Based on every 5 points = 1 shift, 7 shifts indicates that the spell was (7x5) 35 levels higher then I should have been able to cast.  So what caused the level to be so high?

So I tried the same thing again with this below to see how many shifts it came up with.
2-2-1 = 0 shifts
2-2-2 = 2 shifts (2 shifts indicates that it was 10 levels higher then my ability?)

So what is the math for this?  Is there a number that I am missing at the start such as a base level for any spell?

Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 22, 2011, 09:26:49 PM
You don't have to do the math. Just go to the homepage and use parser. It will calculate it for you.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Anarki_Hunter on October 24, 2011, 01:43:08 AM
Humble beginnings...

A stout stick to balance the weight, the teen pushed it to the ground and heaved relief. Carefully lifting up his bag hung on his side, he placed it on the ground.

The shade below the tree brought him respite, he settled down for a rest.

i. Past years have not been kind, his foster father who cared and thought him the art of pottery had perished in a fire. Along with it, went up his home and part of himself, a scar to remember.

He picked up a twig which lay on the ground, then started cleaning the dirt which seeped in the gaps between his nails. Walking barefoot, had its tool.

Few minutes passed, then sunlight gleamed though obstructions and onto him, to kindle an ever so familiar burning sensation which pulsated though his body. His hair stood up and his only eye felt moist...

'So soon!' he whispered.

Turning towards the bag, he slid one of his hands into the bag feeling for the contents. 'only a few days worth'. Dragging the bag closer, he put his other hand to pulled out a rough ball of clay into view. With some effort, he made the ball into a layer, made one hole to the right, felt it over his face tapping it, left out a gap to the side of his cheeks to breath it and put it down.

He took one final look towards the sun to feel the burning sensation and placed the layer of clay back onto his face using Clay Mask (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/115) as adhesive. Picking up a nail hung by his neck, he drew vertically elongated elliptical spiral and concentric patterns extending from peer hole which spilled out into the open.

i. The mask would hide his burned and ugly face, along with the ever shut eye to the left. Vision lost to bare witness into the core of the unnatural fire which raged that day...which consumed everything he held dear, including a part of himself.

i. As weeks progressed he had began to feel an affinity to earthly passion, the earth began to randomly heed some call...a special call.

tapping the dust off his stick, he wore his weight by the shoulders and began to walk.

The day grew more respite, as he walked down the harbor when a rare excitement greeted him. A man kicked open a mow door ready to jump from his reality, for what reason he cared little.

spontaneous magic (Control/Mind - 2-2-5) (7 shifts)

And then he was off, flinging open the door and ready to jump.


..He just had to see..

Rubbing the soles of his feet on the face of the other, he kicked dirt and made way towards the building. He wasn't sure what imbued more curiosity, but someone in the air twitched his mind towards it. A sense of similarity or familiarity, yet recognition unknown.

Donning the clay mask, he tapped the ground with his stick and looked up at the man barely clothed.

---
OOC:

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:
1.33 concentration expended
1.33 energy expended
1 XP in Change gained
1 XP in Earth gained

(Wanted to jump in, I thought this was a good moment!).
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 24, 2011, 03:51:26 AM
(24)

Astalos fell asleep for a couple hours but he woke up when a breeze of air tickled his nose.
The alter in the middle of the room was shattered when the book was destroyed by the ritual.
The runic words which filled the room turned into rubble as the walls collapsed.

Astalos found a way out between the walls and grabbed fainted Saniel to escape the fortress.
After walking for three hours, they have arrived by the entrance where Astalos fought the guardian before entering the building. The guardian was still standing outside where Astalos first encountered it.

Astalos put Saniel by the door and walked out to deal with the guardian. Saniel was safe as long as he was in the fortress. He probably knew another way in as he did not confront  the guardian directly. As he walked closer the the guardian, Astalos realized there was something wrong with the guardian. The source of the energy which fueled the guardian was the book. When Astalos destroyed the book, the guardian also stopped carrying out its duty. It has finally achieved its freedom after years of guarding the book.

When Astalos pushed the helmet of the guardian, it fell down like any standing suit of armor. It was nothing more than an ordinary armor with magic repelling runes.

"This would come in handy when I meet the templars next time."

The only thing Astalos had to do to activate the armor was feeding the runes with his magic energy. Of course, he had to study the runes for now to see what kind of magic the armor had. Astalos disassembled the armor and put it in his bag and left the fortress, walking toward the other side of the island looking for another village without an inquisitor.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Norrel on October 25, 2011, 08:16:11 AM
Ansellus ravaged a meal- a roast chicken with sauce- wondering at the commotion he had heard downstairs in the inn the previous day, as well as the violence the gossipers talked about which had spilled into the town proper. Apparently some inquisitors and a priest, not to mention a boatload of templars, had made it their business to persecute some poor fellows for a few tricks.

Ansellus had begun to grow used to the relative freedom of the colonies. Having spent most of his life in the south, with a family of templars, no less, had made him paranoid. Being able to cast magic without too much chagrin had been like a wish come true, and now these damned holy men had come to ruin his fun.
Finishing the meal, hard won with the few silvers Ansellus had managed to gamble for himself, Ansellus dusted himself off, and stepped downstairs. The innkeeper looked up at him, with a few more bruises than Ansellus last remembered. Perhaps he had been involved?

"Ansellus, I want my silv-"

Ansellus cut him off with a quick Distracting Buzz (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/34), stepping outside into the fresh evening before he could gain his focus again.

He took a deep breath, breathing in the salty sea air, as he wondered what the afternoon would bring him.

-------------------
Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:
2.00 concentration expended
1.33 energy expended
2 XP in Harm gained
1 XP in Mind gained
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: cwalen on October 27, 2011, 09:14:50 AM
Looking round at the unfamiliar scenery here in the colonies, he managed to slip his boot perfectly under the tree root. Landing  heavily he only spared a moment, checking he was alone out of habit, before let the power flow through his hands, checking if there was anything beyond the pain in his ankle that he should be paying attention to.

spontaneous magic (Perceive/Body - 2-1-1) (1 shift)

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    1.00 concentration expended
    1.00 energy expended
    1 XP in Perceive gained
    1 XP in Body gained
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 27, 2011, 06:21:55 PM
cwalen. So what are you trying to achieve with the spontaneous magic? Are you trying to feel  what happened to other parts of your body?
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: cwalen on October 28, 2011, 04:52:15 AM
Zakilevo, I was combining a little powergaming to gain all the experience I knew how, with developing a story line of the sort of things a Southerner new to the colonies might explore his new found freedom to actually practice magic.

spontaneous magic (Perceive/Body - 2-1-1) (1 shift)

The effect Boris was hoping for was to be able to have a moment of perception as to any damage to his foot and ankle.

If he had sound knowledge of first aid, he could just roll the foot a bit to check.


Noticing that his boot was torn, he waves his hands over the tear mumbling a few soft phrases.

Cantrip of Mending (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/94)

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    1.00 concentration expended
    2.00 energy expended
    1 XP in Heal gained
    2 XP in Earth gained
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Norrel on October 28, 2011, 06:04:35 AM
Looking round at the unfamiliar scenery here in the colonies, he managed to slip his boot perfectly under the tree root. Landing  heavily he only spared a moment, checking he was alone out of habit, before let the power flow through his hands, checking if there was anything beyond the pain in his ankle that he should be paying attention to.

spontaneous magic (Perceive/Body - 2-1-1) (1 shift)
Shifted to (Perceive/Body - 1-2-1)
The spell shifted over Boris' whole body, not detecting anything extremely obvious or life-threatening. It seemed like Boris was in the clear, though that ankle still ached a lot.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Lucian Amell on October 28, 2011, 10:04:50 AM
Lucian wakes up in his room in the local inn. Because he was so tired last night he missed all the commotion about the battle near the docks. The moment he was planning on stepping out of bed he hear two voices on the other side of his door. Slowly he walked to the door and tried to hear what the men on the other side were talking about.

"Did you see that battle near the docks last night?", one man said.
"Yes I did not know there was a caster in our town. He must have been on one of those stranded ships", the other man replied.

Lucian immediately stopped listening to the conversation. An other caster in the same town as him, that was an opportunity he couldn't ignore. Since the day Lucian knew he was a spellcaster he only had the pleasure of meeting an other caster once. Unfortunately was this caster unable to teach him much. That left Lucian with only a handful of weak spells and spontaneous magic to rely on. Perhaps could this other caster help him become stronger.

It was quickly decided that there was no other objective today than to find this man. However for Lucian decided to leave his room he wanted to finish his morning training. He walked to the table that was standing in the corner of the room. On the table was a small candle. He held his hand above the candle and tried to light it.

spontaneous magic (Create/Fire - 2-1-1) (1 shift)

OOC:
Completing these actions would result in the following changes:
1.00 concentration expended
1.00 energy expended
1 XP in Create gained
1 XP in Fire gained
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Anarki_Hunter on October 28, 2011, 01:10:46 PM
It was quickly decided that there was no other objective today than to find this man. However for Lucian decided to leave his room he wanted to finish his morning training. He walked to the table that was standing in the corner of the room. On the table was a small candle. He held his hand above the candle and tried to light it.

spontaneous magic (Create/Fire - 2-1-1) (1 shift)

A spark of fire flew between the palm lines of the hand, accompanied by the sound of a finger nail hitting metal. And then the erratic line of thin fire instantly expanded into an ominous ball of light about the size of Lucian's open palm.

Illusion of a fire burned brightly within the ball, but it cast no light or shadow outside it's boundaries. It lay floating in the air below the caster's hand and above the candle, the ball of light could be moved if the caster wished and it would last about a minute or so.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 28, 2011, 04:00:35 PM
Anarki_Hunter.

Either you have to shift 2-1-1 to 1-1-2 or the fire won't last. It has duration of 1 which means it won't even last a second.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Anarki_Hunter on October 28, 2011, 04:13:03 PM
OOC

Anarki_Hunter.

Either you have to shift 2-1-1 to 1-1-2 or the fire won't last. It has duration of 1 which means it won't even last a second.

Yes of course, you are absolutely right.

I just didn't feel like breaking immersion, with numericals and hence rp'ed as 'Illusion' (Effect:1) and the spell would last a 'Minute' (Duration: 2). I shall make sure that I definitely mention the numbers next time, thanks for correcting me. (It will be informative if we mentioned how the spell shifted)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Tom on October 28, 2011, 08:49:18 PM
It can't be an illusion if it's a Create/Fire spell. It will create fire.

People - we want spontaneous magic to actually be used. Especially with few shifts, it should still do close to what it should. Especially since shifts can not change the Base or Intent. A Create/Fire spontaneous magic will always create fire, it will never do something entirely different - though it can (through discharges) do something additional.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Anarki_Hunter on October 28, 2011, 09:26:48 PM
OOC

It can't be an illusion if it's a Create/Fire spell. It will create fire.

People - we want spontaneous magic to actually be used. Especially with few shifts, it should still do close to what it should. Especially since shifts can not change the Base or Intent. A Create/Fire spontaneous magic will always create fire, it will never do something entirely different - though it can (through discharges) do something additional.

Got off on the wrong foot again, I actually wanted to mention 'Illusion' (Effect:1)..."Effect: cosmetic effect with no real consequences for the target" (Effect:1).
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on October 29, 2011, 12:20:22 AM
OOC
 
Got off on the wrong foot again, I actually wanted to mention 'Illusion' (Effect:1)..."Effect: cosmetic effect with no real consequences for the target" (Effect:1).

You could have said the spell fizzled and did not do much interesting. Or a tiny burst of fire which died in a split second.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: cwalen on November 01, 2011, 03:38:51 AM
Unable to repress his paranoia, Boris looks round for some eyes to add to his own. First he finds a rabbit moving down the track.
Vermin Spy (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/231)

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    2.00 concentration expended
    2.00 energy expended
    2 XP in Perceive gained
    2 XP in Mind gained

Then he turns his attention to a Finch overhead.

Vermin Spy (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/231)

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    2.00 concentration expended
    2.00 energy expended
    2 XP in Perceive gained
    2 XP in Mind gained

Thinking himself unobserved and knowing that the tear in his boot was the least of his problems, Boris considers what he has learned and focuses his energy again.

spontaneous magic (Heal/Body - 2-1-4) (2 shifts)

Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    1.00 concentration expended
    2.67 energy expended
    1 XP in Heal gained
    2 XP in Body gained.

Leaning back against a tree, he hopes that the magic works as he intended it to relieving the pain and bringing his ankle back to full strength.

< perhaps a duration of 3 would be more appropriate, oh and I should have used natures mending, rather than the cantrip of repair to fix a leather boot, so please read, tear, as a bent metal buckle.>
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Miriam Ics on November 01, 2011, 06:04:40 AM
A figure high and thin could be seen by people who went near the coast. The figure seemed to dance, but there was no music to be heard. Moving quickly hands and feet, whispering words incomprehensible, the figure started a circular movement of the body, at the same time as the hands that were on the side of the body move up over the head, such as a tornado, accompanying the body in its circular movement until it stops suddenly.

The figure laugh loudly seeing the shield of air around her body.

Lor's cyclone shelter would be a good name if I could ever reproduce it again, she thought.

spontaneous magic (Protect/Air - 2-1-2) (1 shift)

(Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:
1.00 concentration expended
4.00 energy expended
1 XP in Protect gained
4 XP in Air gained)

(OOC: I am not exactly sure how to do this, but I am excited on trying it)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 01, 2011, 06:39:04 AM

Thinking himself unobserved and knowing that the tear in his boot was the least of his problems, Boris considers what he has learned and focuses his energy again.

spontaneous magic (Heal/Body - 2-1-4) (2 shifts)

Leaning back against a tree, he hopes that the magic works as he intended it to relieving the pain and bringing his ankle back to full strength.

Shifted to Heal/Body - 3-2-2

The magic not only healed his ankle but it also rejuvenated his body but for a minute, the magic caused an intense pain which almost made him faint.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 01, 2011, 06:42:31 AM

The figure laugh loudly seeing the shield of air around her body.

Lor's cyclone shelter would be a good name if I could ever reproduce it again, she thought.

spontaneous magic (Protect/Air - 2-1-2) (1 shift)


Shifted to Protect/Air - 1-2-2

The magic created a dome of air around the figure for a couple seconds but soon faded.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 01, 2011, 09:58:20 PM
(25)

The sunset came rather quicker than Astalos expected. The night came before Astalos even had a chance to leave the forest. He managed to find a cave before the sun went down but it was already occupied by a hostile being - a wild bear.

The bear was bigger than the ones he has seen in the south. It was at least 4 meters tall when it stood up and three meters wide. When it charged toward him, he quickly casted Blinding Light (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/113).

The spell confused the bear by blinding it. While the bear was suffering from the spells, Astalos casted the next set of spells, Flea pact (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/132) and Ice Spear (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/433).

The bear recovered from the blindness a bit quicker than Astalos anticipated as it was some what resistant to magic. But the ice spear was not affected by such thing as it pierced the side of the bear. While the bear was roaring in pain. Astalos quickly apporached bear with Air Shield (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/234). It tried to hit Astalos but the shield managed to deflect the first attack. Astalos saw the opportunity he sought and touched the bear's arm with Blood Bomb (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/161).

The bear screamed as it started to bleed from the every hole in its body.

Astalos casted Ignite (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/119) to incinerate the dead bear and entered the cave.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Lucian Amell on November 03, 2011, 02:44:18 PM
Disappointed that his magic failed Lucian waited till the fireball in his palm disappeared. He decided not to do it again as he had to hurry if he wanted to find the other caster that was seen in town. As quickly as his legs would allow him he ran to the docks to check out the battle site.

When he finally arrived at the battle site Lucian could only see a few guards who were cleaning up the mess of last night. It was stupid of Lucian to think he could finally find someone who was able to teach him some real magic. Disappointed he walked towards the town gate and left for the forest. Lucian knew he had to become stronger if he was planning on surviving in a world full of people who hate casters. Perhaps the forest would give him a good opportunity to train his skills.

He was only a few hundred meters away from his usual training spot when he heard a howl behind him. Quickly he turned around and saw a wolf standing behind him.

"Well, I was thinking of training alone today, but if you insist I'll try out my harm magic on you", Lucian said against the wolf with a little smile on his face.

He raised his left hand and pointed towards the wolf while attempting to hit the wolf with the strongest fire magic he could control.

spontaneous magic (Harm/Fire - 3-1-1) (1 shift)

Completing these actions would result in the following changes:
1.50 concentration expended
0.75 energy expended
1 XP in Harm gained
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 03, 2011, 04:34:21 PM

spontaneous magic (Harm/Fire - 3-1-1) (1 shift)


Shifted to 2-2-1

The magic engulfed the wolf in flames. It burnt the wolf's fur but did not kill it.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Valast on November 04, 2011, 04:31:50 AM
So how does this work then?  I posted, someone else posted also but did not help to handle the magic that I had done.... so we are now both waiting until someone else posts to interact with us or shall we assume all worked well and we move on?

While this is more difficult in this one big thread...how are lost threads going to be prevented in the future?
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 04, 2011, 04:37:54 AM
If no one posted, just say things worked out as you planned. It is a testing thread after all :)
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Anarki_Hunter on November 04, 2011, 07:08:25 AM
OOC

Yeah, I am taking notes of how 'Zakilevo' is punching out interactions.
So far I feel hes -> 8) with magic interactions and effects.

---

As for the lost threads posts which are part of RP...currently I am thinking on the lines that its an interaction taking place in a time bubble/duration further forward of the *then* time line against relative RP going around..

'Lucian', 'miriam ics' and 'Astalos' for all that matter might be a bit around, anyone can walk in to the current act if they would like to join in.

Reference for RP:
http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,1254.msg30511.html#msg30511

I punched in the after a following posts, trying to connect to 'Valast's RP, (as I was unsure how to join in)..hoping for some interaction.

Anyways - Come on now, theres a barefoot character waiting in a weird clay mask down on the ground looking up towards the mow door.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 04, 2011, 08:02:35 AM
When joining other people's RP, make sure you give the other person a chance to respond as well. Discussing with the person you are interacting with wouldn't be too bad. If the person you are involved with does not respond for a certain time, you can try to get around or break away from the story line.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Filador on November 06, 2011, 06:08:14 PM
Jovyl awoke, unsure of where he was, or why he was there. He saw that he was in a small room, on a simple sleeping palate. His clothes were in a rumpled heap in the corner. There was no window, but light shone through the cracks of the wooden construction, suggesting that it was daytime. A dim lamp resting on a small table provided a little more illumination. Jovyl sat up abruptly, and his vision spun. A little more carefully, he laboriously dragged himself to his feet. After adjusting to being fully upright, he set about dressing himself. He nearly fell on his face when he tried to balance on one leg to put his pants on, but managed to stay standing. Once he was fully clothed, sporting simple black pants and a tunic, and a dark blue robe with silver accents, he cast Fresh Clean Feeling (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/288) on himself, to wash out he-didn't-know-how-many hours worth of morning breath. He found his way out of the room, and discovered that he was in a small inn that he did not recognize as being near to his home. The innkeeper seemed unperturbed by his presence, and Jovyl began to ask for some food when he realized that he had no money. Jovyl sighed and wondered where this inn was, and how he was going to manage to get home.


Completing these actions has resulted in the following changes:

    2.00 concentration expended
    2.00 energy expended
    2 XP in Heal gained
    2 XP in Water gained
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 06, 2011, 06:22:12 PM
Everyone.

You do not have to post how much exp you received from using your spells. We only did this because Tom wanted to see something to adjust things. He has already done it so if you do not want to, you do not have to add your exp info.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Anarki_Hunter on November 06, 2011, 07:42:34 PM
OOC

Everyone.

You do not have to post how much exp you received from using your spells. We only did this because Tom wanted to see something to adjust things. He has already done it so if you do not want to, you do not have to add your exp info.

I do not know whats the final implementation, but I think it would be good to see atleast how much energy and concentrations the casters expend.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 06, 2011, 07:57:24 PM
OOC

I do not know whats the final implementation, but I think it would be good to see atleast how much energy and concentrations the casters expend.

Nothing is final really. The biggest problem this game is facing at the moment is, regenerating energy/concentration during battles. As you all well know not everyone can respond to other's RP every day. I will stop here since this is not a discussion thread.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: loren on November 06, 2011, 08:21:45 PM
It had been nearly a day since his battle with the Inquisitor.  He had been exhausted, his energies completely spent.  Fishing out a trinket from the depths of his robes Dynamis fingered it for a time.  Fragmenting his power was not always advisable, but in his many years he had come to think of it as being necessary.

Now however, it was time to deal with the Inquisitor once and for all.  The northern marches did not need their ilk.  Walking towards the wharf he flipped to a well worn page in his small book.  Yes, there it was.  This spell will do quite nicely.  The ship of the Inquistor sat silent in the harbor.  With a grim smile Dynamis began to incant the spell.   Summon - Dynamis' Primal Beast (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/48).

The beast slowly formed in a wreathed mist of raw spiritual energies.  The laws of magic had changed some, but Dynamis was confident the Beasts' protection would last.  To be certain he cast Lesser Mind Shield (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/55) upon it, to give it shielding.  Its raw bulk would protect it from mundane attacks.  Gazing into its fierce eyes, Dynamis gave it a simple thought/command.  "Destroy them all!"  The beast looked at the ship, then at the chain which anchored it to the sea-bed.  Slowly it marched out into the depths of the cold water.  In time Dynamis saw it start to climb the anchor's chain.  The ship leaned heavily under the Beasts' bulk.  The crew looked over the edge of the ship and began to raise an alarm.  Tiny pin-pricks on the deck Dynamis smiled grimly.  This would end quickly.  Of that he would make certain.

Turning to another well worn page he held out his hand and quickly clenched it unleashing the fury of  Conflagration (http://lemuria.org/SM3/info/view_spell/52) upon the ship's deck.  The men from the torso up, the tops of the railings, the mast all of it erupted in a huge gout of flame, a fine ash quickly spreading through the air.  Dynamis had been careful to make sure the anchor's moorings to the ship were left unharmed.  The tops of the mast came crashing down into the deck slamming into the stump that was its former base.  It teeters for a moment before it comes crashing to the deck.  The Beast has arrived now.  Fearsome it stalks the deck looking for anyone bounding up a gang-way.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 06, 2011, 09:41:26 PM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 08, 2011, 07:46:27 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Halden on November 08, 2011, 11:24:19 AM
ooc- Tried to 'verify input' through the parser, but it just gave me an error message. Help?
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 08, 2011, 04:00:03 PM
You need to prepare a ritual. You can't use it like a spell. Try using spontaneous magic instead.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Halden on November 08, 2011, 05:57:02 PM
Thanks man. How 'bout this?

(Rather than read 14 pages of RP, I'm just gonna start out where Tom left it open. I'll try to jump in, but this one may have some time lag.)

It was raining again, as it often did in the port city. He didn't mind the rain, but gods above did he hate the sea, and all the sailing that came with it. Not that his stomach protested, but rather, something about being anyway that far from solid ground, well, he didn't trust it all too much. Mahrstadt was a main thoroughfare between the north and the south. It wasn't exactly a place that too many people stayed for too long. Most of the 5000 inhabitants had settled down and found work tending to the others that were passing through themselves. Halden himself didn't plan on staying long, but due to the storm, it didn't seem he had much choice either. He was on his way south. That's where the money was, not to mention any hope of finding an organized force to serve with. Lucky for him, he had made an arrangement with the ship's captain. Twice the fare up front in furs, granted they arrived in two weeks, two days longer than the voyage usually takes anyway. Then 10 silver back every day they were late. Call it paranoia, or insurance that the man get him there safe and in one piece. The captain had laughed at him at the time, and gladly took the goods, but now due to the storm, it looked like he would have free passage.

Might as well enjoy the colonies.

Most of the other stranded passengers, from his ship or others were markedly upset at the delay. Halden hadn't planned on spending any time in the Colonies, but now, given the opportunity, and not knowing when he'd have the chance again, it didn't take him long to find the adventure in it.

There was a pub nearby the docks. A regular stop for the sailors on their way through. Before they docked, he had talked with a few of them, and they had asked him to join them for a drink. Leave it to a sailor; in the middle of a storm, the sails whipped around, the rigging ready to snap, and the hull being tossed in the ocean like a child in a mother's arms to only think of the next bit of rum. Well, Halden could do little but accept. He was a man of the north. Tall, six feet even, strong, and pale skin. He had done a fair bit of drinking in the cold nights of winter in the longhouses and bailies of the northern lords. (They called themselves lords, but in truth, they were more just warlords or tribal chiefs.) He would just have to see how these southern seamen hold up.

"So you want to be a soldier, eh boyo?" The man called Thomas was a quick friend to Halden on the ship, though he seemed a quick friend to any he met, especially if drinking was involved. He hair was scraggly and grey, though he couldn't have yet been forty, and his teeth were only mostly intact.

"I'd like to lead them, if that's what you mean." There were about ten of them making their way to the pub, Halden included. It was hard to tell, because one man or another kept getting pulled off the rest by a flirty wench, trying to make the night's wage. Halden could see the whores kept a close eye on the ship, and when one came in, they'd go straight to work. This storm more like than not was good for business.

"Oh I'm sure you would, and I'm sure you could. You seem the man I'd follow."

"Thomas, you'd follow any man as long as there's drink to be had."

A short guffaw with a half-toothy smile made the man look older than he was. "Guess that's why I work for the captain I do I'd say."

By the time they got the bar, five of them were left. The others off to alleys or brothels or other parts of the city to spend their pay. The remaining party sat at a table in the corner of the room while Wil, another of the men, went to the bar to get a round of drinks.

Betting and dice was more his brother's style, but Halden just liked a good drinking game, and the sailors were only too eager to test his endurance. Halden had learned a few tricks though on how to cleanse his system, or at least accelerate it. It took a while to concentrate and perform the technique, but then again, you were drinking over hours. spontaneous magic (Change/Body - 1-2-1) (1 shift)

After a while, it became amusing to Halden, watching the sailors begin to slur and stumble. All the while, maintaining himself. A great deal of fun and a good deal of laughing was had, and at the end of it, his stamina impressed them enough that they started calling him 'Man of Stone' in their southern dialect. It wasn't long after that that Halden began to feel an itch to do something. No direction, just an urge. Well enough, the sailors seemed spent as they were. He reached into his pocket and gathered a few coins to leave on the table, not stopping to count exactly. With a man leaning on each of his arms, he began his way back to the ship.

First Mate Jones was the first to spot him on his return trip. Jones was half-sitting, half kneeling on the rail of the ship, smoking his pipe and looking omniscient. Halden thought he was a bit of a damp canvas when it came to a good time, but he was loyal and did his job well. Views he most likely got from his sailor friend.

Halden called up to the man, "Do you mind if I deposit these here," as he gestured toward his friends, "haven't the coin to put them up myself."

"As long as they won't mind my asking them to do a few chores in the morning. We might not be sailing on the morrow, but there's still work to be done."

"Yes yes, sail to sew and rope to splice and all that." As Halden said this he slowly let down those of his friends leaning on him, and they stumbled clumsily up the ramp.

"And where will you be staying tonight sir?"

"I'm off to see the island Jones, I'll be back before you sail."

And with that, Halden set off once more towards the city. It was late. Coming on midnight now, though the town was hardly asleep. With all the business done, the whole place was pretty well lit. When he inquired a shop keeper about the late hours, he got the response that should have been obvious.

"This storm has brought all the ships into port. There's a few hundred sailors and passengers alike now traveling through here. Best time for business I ever did see. And it's not like there the types who're unfamil'r with the nightlife, eh? My nephew will take over for me when I go to sleep, and we'll keep the shop open all night. Just good business."

He made his way down the streets, poking his head in and out of shops, briefly examining their wares. It probably wasn't hard to tell he wasn't a local. Cloth was plentiful in the Colonies, and made up most everything. Clothing was all cloth, vendors used it for makeshift shops, buildings had them for doors. Cotton and flax were in great supply both on the mainland and the island itself. So Halden's own leather vest under a chainmail shirt stood in stark contrast. Day or night, he could be seen wearing it. He had even slept in it on occasion. Habit of the north: it's not like you take too many clothes off. He had left his breastplate on the ship, having removed it when boarding. Something about platemail just isn't conducive to sailing. A hand-and-a-half blade adorned his back, and though he got a few uncomfortable stares because of it, especially when entering a shop. As long as he kept it well away in it's sheath, he didn't get much trouble though. Finally, he came by a place that was selling something interesting. A hunting shop. It was a simple building, sharing walls with its neighboring buildings. The shop itself was a single room with a closet and a staircase, leading up to the shopkeepers house, a style largely common in the South. Here in the Colonies though, it was more like a tent on top of a shed.

Much of the island was still unsettled wilderness, and so hunting and trapping was still valid business. Coming from the north, Halden was especially experienced in this trade. He looked at the walls only a moment before pulling down what he needed from the hooks it hung from. Rope, canvas, string, a small knife, a deerskin pouch, and a quiver of arrows. The shopkeep watched him lazily as he gathered the things, sitting in a chair in the corner by a small brazier. A desk next to him.

"That it?" The shopkeep said, obviously growing tired from the long hours.

"Actually, could you help me with something else," Halden replied.

"That was my next question." The comment came of sarcastic, although most likely unintended.

"Flint?"

"Sure thing." As he reached nimbly into his desk and dropped a small piece of black rock on top of it.

"What about a bow, this is a hunting shop after all."

"Well I don't keep them on display, if that's what your asking." The shopkeep got to his feet for the first time and walked to the nearby closet, opening it and turning to Halden, asking,
"You have any particular preference?"

"Not as long as it get's the job done."

"Fair enough." And the shopkeeper tenderly lifted out a wooden shortbow and a bit of string.
"Want me to string it for you."

"Won't be using it that soon." And he took both the bow and the string from the man, and set them on the desk. From his own pocket, he then drew out a few small chunks of what looked like glowing brown balls. He held out three with one hand for the shopkeeper to see.
"Polished amber, from the North."

The vendor's eyes did in fact brighten, but he followed up with, "That's very nice, but you won't be getting off that easy."

"I'm not one to haggle," Halden replied tersely, and he placed two more in the extended and and then placed all five in the palm of the shopkeep. He didn't protest.

Halden laid out the canvas on the floor of the shop and began to place his purchases inside. Save for the rope, he rolled the whole bunch up, the rope he then weaved in and out each end of the canvas roll to make a makeshift pack. He threw it over one shoulder, hatlessly doffed the shopkeep, who smiled minimally back at him, and then made his way to the woods.

*****

Halden didn't see any animals, and only sparsely was able to find their tracks, but then again, he wasn't really looking. It was just good to be outside on the hunt, and with solid ground beneath him. He found a nice clearing and decided to call it a night. He knelt down, and with his flint in hand, began to make a fire. spontaneous magic (Create/Fire - 1-1-3) (1 shift) He always had a natural knack for it, unsure exactly why. His father had told him that he was empowered with a gift at birth. But of course, being the son of the master-at-arms was a gift in itself. We warmed himself briefly, but it took no great while before he had layed himself on the ground and threw the canvas over him.

A Dream, but too real. Smoke. Hard to see. A village. Snow? Not the North. Thick with smoke. Hard to breathe. Water nearby. Can hear it. Closer now, village too. A river, with huts. Not alone. Soldiers. Clinking of metal. Can hear it, but too hard to see. "Sir." They know me. My soldiers. What village? Where's the smoke coming, ... around. Others. In rags. Hard to smell. By the river. Flashes. "Sir!" Screams. The river isn't water. Look up. Red. Forest is red, river is red, village is red.

Halden jolted up. For a moment he couldn't even see. He only felt. A cold sweat over a hot body. He was breathing frantically, his body coursing with energy, and his mind, out of control. spontaneous magic (Harm/Fire - 3-3-1) (3 shifts)

(Well, that's spontaneous fire magic, so I guess I'll let someone else RP the effect. Have fun. :-) )
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 08, 2011, 10:18:32 PM
Oh forgot to mention sorry...
You have to wait after using a spontaneous magic. You can't continue writing after using it lol. And to use a spontaneous magic, you need to also mention what you are expecting the magic to do but it is other people's job to decide how the shifts will alter the strength and the duration of the magic.

It is best to use spells really. Since there is no factor which will affect it like rituals or spontaneous spells.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Halden on November 09, 2011, 04:30:34 AM
Yes, spells are definitely preferable, but you really can't learn any until after a week of playing. You simply don't have the XP available. Sort of limits the things you can cast in an RP. I'm really trying to come up with really simple spells. Like between power 1 and 4.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: De-Legro on November 09, 2011, 04:44:38 AM
Yes, spells are definitely preferable, but you really can't learn any until after a week of playing. You simply don't have the XP available. Sort of limits the things you can cast in an RP. I'm really trying to come up with really simple spells. Like between power 1 and 4.

Did you try the link for the spell starter pack? That should give you at least some starting spells.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 09, 2011, 04:51:45 AM
Did you try the link for the spell starter pack? That should give you at least some starting spells.

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,1477.0.html (http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,1477.0.html)

The spell starting pack.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: De-Legro on November 09, 2011, 05:03:18 AM
http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,1477.0.html (http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,1477.0.html)

The spell starting pack.

I was thinking about the link you get on your spell page in the game. Mind you since I intend on my character being a Shaman who has not yet learnt the knack of spells I haven't tried to use it.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Halden on November 09, 2011, 06:25:25 AM
Well that's all well and good, but these all seem to be pretty combat oriented, none of which I've had cause to use yet. If you look at what the spells in my RP have been trying to accomplish, it's just been mundane tasks aided by the use of magic. Something any amateur magician is surely familiar with. Essentially you're casting spells that can help you with chores, and little else. I doubt a new learner of magic is overeager to try and test his lack of skill and confidence against real targets, much the reason why initial roleplays are important, developing the character and his story before we paradrop him onto the front lines.

And I'm with De-Legro on this one. Halden honestly doesn't know he is capable of magic use just yet. I tried to convey that in the RP. Unsure if I accomplished it. Had I the spells, I certainly would have used them. But using spontaneous magic wasn't the initial plan on the first write through (why else would I use it to simply light a fire). I guess that's why this Test Thread is here, so we can work that stuff out. In any case, I really do need someone to do an explanation of what fiery mess awaits him when he wakes up.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 09, 2011, 06:48:45 AM
Uhh so many spontaneous spells without stopping the story... I will just respond to the last one.
Quote
Halden jolted up. For a moment he couldn't even see. He only felt. A cold sweat over a hot body. He was breathing frantically, his body coursing with energy, and his mind, out of control. spontaneous magic (Harm/Fire - 3-3-1) (3 shifts)

Shifted to 2-1-4. The magic set his pants on fire, causing Halden to wake up from his dream.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Halden on November 20, 2011, 06:47:57 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 20, 2011, 07:13:52 AM
spontaneous magic (Harm/Fire - 3-3-1) (2 shifts)

Shifted to 2-2-3

A ring of flame appeared around Helden and exploded, burning things around him. The fire seemed to be strong enough to last at least an hour.
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on November 24, 2011, 02:50:53 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on December 14, 2011, 02:49:05 AM
Title: Re: Test Roleplaying Thread - JOIN IN HERE
Post by: Zakilevo on December 20, 2011, 02:49:43 AM
(30)

Like a dragon with a mouthful of fire before it unleashes its fiery despair, Astalos's right arm was holding the wrath of the scorching summer. Astalos could feel the storming power from the legend and the heat of the eternal fire from the sun itself. Two different but similar powers were swirling inside of his right arm. He did not expect the power of the artifact he has recreated to regain its power this quickly. He has realized it would be extremely danagerous, even suicidal to test something like this inside of the village. He walked toward the town gate with haste. As he approached the gate, his arm started to shake with pain. With the worsening pain, his legs began to move faster. He eventually ran to the gate with his full speed. When he reached the gate, the gatekeeper he met before he entered the village two weeks ago has noticed him.

"Hey. Where are you going?"

"I'll be back soon but I have to go for now."

"Wait! You shouldn't run that wa--"

The gatekeeper tried to tell something to Astalos as he ran past him but Astalos was so focused on his arm, he could not pay any attention to the gatekeeper. After a couple minutes of running, Astalos reached a glade far enough from the village. The pain was now unbearable. He immediately swung his arm toward trees around him. When he swung, waves of flame appeared which turned rocks into magma and trees to ashes. The flame was so intense, it heated the very air around Astalos which made it difficult to breath the air in as it became painful to breath. After releasing whatever the power which was in his arm, Astalos realized he destroyed almost everything around five meter radius around him.

"Whew... Didn't expect this much. But this isn't enough to achieve my revenge. The power is too damaging. It is burning me as well and it is too difficult to focus the power. With only one fragment of Aestas, I won't even be able to scratch Father."

The Scorching Sword of Summer, Aestas, was fragmented into five pieces. Each piece with a fraction of its full power. Aestus - Heat, Virtus - Valor, Lux - Light, Victoria - Victory, and Proelium - Battle. Each one symbolizing the domain of Aphe, the Goddess of Summer. Aestus granted its owner the power of all melting heat but it was uncontrollable without Lux. Lux had the ability shape the uncontrollable flame into different illuminating shapes. Virtus enchanted the owner with unbreakable will to withstand any emotion - usually despair and fear. Poelium rewarded the owner with aggression and will to fight. Victoria blessed its holder with the victorious outcome in a personal battle (meaning in a duel, the owner would win no matter what. But could still die from poison or in a combat with more than one person involved.). Only when the five fragments were all gathered by one person, the Scorching Sword of Summer was completed. Only with Aestas could Astalos hope to cleave his way through the cruel winter which surrounded his father. Aestas was his only hope open his path to his father for him to take his revenge.