Author Topic: What makes an SMA Religion?  (Read 15111 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
What makes an SMA Religion?
« Topic Start: July 02, 2012, 10:29:37 PM »
The topic of SMA religions has come up several times in the past couple years. Mostly in relation to whether or not one religion or another fits SMA. Rather than focus on that, I would like to know what people think is required for a religion to be considered SMA. Keep in mind the rule that eastern philosophical religions are not SMA, nor religions that are uniquely identified with non-European geographical regions.

In prior debates, I think I identified some characteristics that I considered essential.

1) There must be some divine/supernatural element that the religion worships. It doesn't specifically need to be called a god. You don't have to love it, or think it's the best thing since sliced bread and indoor plumbing. But you should worship it.

2) A desire to spread it's influence. This could be for love of your god, a desire to "save" your converts, or purely for personal power. It could be a forceful expansion, or a pacifist peaceful one.

There was a third thing, but I can't remember it right now, and don't have time to look.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.