Author Topic: What makes an SMA Religion?  (Read 15107 times)

Uzamaki

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: What makes an SMA Religion?
« Topic Start: July 03, 2012, 02:18:22 AM »
To me, what makes an SMA religion...

Well, first of all it has to have something extraordinary it is worshipping, something so out of the normal it can be worshipped by a group of people. That could be gods, goddesses, demigods, spirits, supernatural happenings, or even stars the color of blood!  ;D

Second, it has to have something that sets it apart. Beliefs/doctrine are usually that. Just 'We worship the bloodstars because they look cool' doesn't cut it. 'We worship the bloodstars because of blah blah blah blah blah'? Now that's more like it!  ;D

Third, it has to be Battlemaster themed. Note how I didn't say Middle Ages themed. I know I hold a little bit different view than what is currently accepted, but if it's accepted as something that would fit into the Battlemaster atmosphere, but not necessarily similar to Christianity or the pagan religions in Europe, I don't mind so much so longer as it is properly described and clear cut. Star worship such as the Sanguis Astroist religion could be considered tribal in nature, but add a bunch of description and a clear cut doctrine(which is needed in my view anyways) and BAM! You have a SMA religion!  ;D

To me, though, simply an 'anti-religion' religion wouldn't work. 'We live to counter (your least favorite religion name here) religion?' Just no. Now, if it is 'We had a god/goddess that constantly wars with THEIR god/goddess and whoever worships that god/goddess is evil'? Totally acceptable. And cool. Maybe we can get some bloodmoons out there against the bloodstars!  ;D

Anyways, that's my three things on what a religion needs to be SMA. It doesn't need to want to spread it's religion, it could just stay in a single city and make that the holy city of all holy cities. Nor does it need to be European like. Just well described enough so that those of us who grew up in the Western world can understand.