Author Topic: Remove mercenary distance limits  (Read 32016 times)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Remove mercenary distance limits
« Topic Start: October 23, 2012, 08:29:28 AM »
Title: Remove mercenary distance limits

Summary: when travelling away from the realm, we usually switch out to mercenary setting. The army I'm on dwilight journeyed south, from Iashalur to Chesland in Terran. We'd set to mercenary setting, and were about 1280 miles from Iashalur. However, the morale of our troops kept dropping every turn, from between 15 points and 35. I originally thought it a bug, but turns out its not.
Mercenary setting *reduces* penalties of being far away from home, it does not remove them. There is nothing wrong, no bugs here. Your army is simply too far away from home.

I believe on an island the size of dwilight, such restrictions need to be scaled to cater to its size- the numbers that might work on EC won't on Dwilight. Even better, do away with the distance restriction altogether for mercs (does it serve a purpose?).

Here's what the Help page for unit settings has to say-

Mercenary
Mercenaries are men hired to fight your war, with no loyalty to you or your realm beyond their pay. Their morale stays high while far from home, but 50% more expensive than regular army (this is the only designation available to traders).
When pursuing your Leader's agenda far from home, a Regular Army will get homesick before the week is out. Their Morale will suffer. When Morale is less than 50%, it can be a real problem. Combat Strength goes down, as does Cohesion. Morale can usually be salved with gold as a Regular Army will get a boost from regular payment. If, however, you discern that this will be a problem again, sooner than would be convenient, the Mercenary setting may be your choice. No morale concerns, so Combat Strength stays high, and your Unit is more effective in battle.
There doesn't seem to be a mention of any restrictions on this page either.

So I would like to request the restrictions be done away with, as mercenary troops are already being paid much higher than regular armies purely to avoid these morale problems. These are sellswords who don't care about loyalty to anything but coin.

Benefits: It allows the undertaking of campaigns across distances on a continent the size of dwilight. It makes sense because mercenaries shouldn't even care about distance as long as their pockets are full. Plus, RP benefits! Long glorious campaigns to distant lands to fight those heathens  :D

Possible Exploits: Might overpower rich and large realms who can bully others. However, I feel there are already limitations in this. An army travelling a long distance has a long time between consecutive campaigns, and it is decently expensive to have a troop as mercenary for 3-4 consecutive weeks.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell