Author Topic: The Marrocidenian war  (Read 562305 times)

NoblesseChevaleresque

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: The Marrocidenian war
« Reply #780: November 24, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »
This is an example of how somebody RP two someone else's characters. In this case, it seems for a different reason from adding flavour or fun to the game, as it's intended to humiliate someone else's character.

If Chénier finds distasteful the roleplaying that you and other players have played, I guess it's because he doesn't feel identified with all the raping thing, and didn't roleplayed that the mob were trying to rape Florence.

I think we shouldn't use that kind of RP. Maybe we could think that a medieval angry mob would have raped or beaten a lady. But you can't make just a simulation feature of a game in which many other players should enjoy. Every player should avoid that kind of RP, whether it's related to a character, or just the peasants in the game, with raped children and that sort of things. We can just assume there's another kind of interesting RP apart from this, rather than justify it at all cost.

One thing is rivalry among players, let's try to think more often OOC and not humiliate rivals.

Quite crucially, D'Hara nor Chenier denied the accusations when they were put forward, and instead tried to justify it, which is essentially admitting it. Thus, why it has stuck. Though, it's only really been mentioned on the forum facetiously and not in character.

And the accusation was of the mob attempting to rape Florence, which is hardly anything personal on Chenier, and was exactly that, a hearsay accusation from Florence that D'Hara rather failed to deny or disprove but tried to defend so it went uncontested and got taken as a matter of fact because D'Hara made it seem to go without question. He just doesn't like us roleplaying his characters actions in a bad light? Deal with it. Madina essentially roleplayed Mendicant as baby eating despot with a proclivity to genocide and dominance, and whilst that isn't true and it goes against how I roleplay Mendicant they're perfectly at liberty to do so and I/we took it in good stride, defaming your opponents, spreading rumours and creating propaganda is part of the fun of a war and inter character interaction, and I rather object to the notion we should all be incredibly friendly and tongue in cheek about everything, it would remove a quite entertaining portion of the game. Character assassinations, rumour mongering, building up in character roleplayed rivalries and disputes. Terran have even done something similar even now and you don't see us complaining OOC at how they call us wild animals and barbarians and basically fascists, though they were pretty quick to complain and whine when Allomere was apparently "less than complimentary" about Barca /in a roleplay description of his characters perception/. That's how it works, character assassinations, removing ones credibility and debasing their reputation were immensely important during the medieval era, and that's why people work so hard to try and defame the other and history is filled with examples of things like this, and people of the time rather relished making sexual accusations about their opponents. Though, we haven't made one about Chenier so far it should be noted, but alluded to the possible sexual consequence of one of his actions.

Bad Sportsmanship is trying to enforce a policy of tongue in cheek never being able to even allude to something bad about another persons character. Good Sportsmanship by contrast, is being able to take it in your stride when some one does it to you and to find a way I.C. to get back at them rather than trying to act offended over something that doesn't require self aggrandising "offence".
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 05:41:57 PM by NoblesseChevaleresque »