Author Topic: Naming schemes for armies  (Read 7081 times)

Eduardo Almighty

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Naming schemes for armies
« Reply #15: January 08, 2014, 06:59:55 PM »
While Erik was Marquis of Trinbar, he always spoke about himself as Margrave, just because it sounds better (and also to make him looks like better than another Marquis, even when the concept is almost the same between Marquis/Margrave). I had a pleasant surprise when the game changed it for Margrave within the new system. Also, he have many "unofficial titles" he gave himself along his way in Sirion. I think it can be done purely in RP ways.

We also tried to make a guild for an army, and that was a way of customization. It failed because of lack of interest from our players.

I will always prefer Second in Command instead of Vice Marshal...
Now with the Skovgaard Family... and it's gone.
Serpentis again!

pcw27

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: January 08, 2014, 09:53:45 PM »

Also, an option if one wants to have greater customization with lesser confusion, distinctive markers could be had for each title. In the military, for example, each rank has its own symbol. IG, it could be a color-code and/or icon.

What about real life military symbols. Star for a general, Chevron with one bar for a Marshal, Chevron with no bar for a vice Marshal.

Also the message section could be made to clear it up. When you're in an army instead of saying "Marshal of Army X" it could say "Your Commanding Officer", just like for lords it says "your liege".

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: January 09, 2014, 05:50:10 PM »
Hover text of important info is bad. Is this info so important?
If it's important enough to provide as hover text, then it's important enough that we want people to be able to see it.

Except your weirdos with your fancy-shmancy touch-screens. We don't care about you. Go away.

If the titles are confusing, it's the realm's own fault, and they will be the only ones to suffer from the confusion caused.
I don't care about realms. I care about players. And about the game overall. When players suffer, the game suffers.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bendix

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: January 10, 2014, 03:45:38 AM »
What about real life military symbols. Star for a general, Chevron with one bar for a Marshal, Chevron with no bar for a vice Marshal.

Also the message section could be made to clear it up. When you're in an army instead of saying "Marshal of Army X" it could say "Your Commanding Officer", just like for lords it says "your liege".

As much as I love that idea, you have to remember that this isn't a modern military. It's a collection of landed nobles who hire their own private armies. It's up to the characters to bring any sense uniformity on themselves- its part of the challenge of working with others.

Eldargard

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: January 28, 2014, 07:23:47 PM »
First off, I love the idea of customizable titles. I also like the confusion if could lead to in inter-realm communications. "Hazbepa John? Who the hell are you?" That sounds like a great opportunity for a grudge. Of course, within the realm it should be made clear that Hazbepa John is the leader of Army X but I think that can be done without referring to the Marshal or ViceMarshal titles.

Buffalkill

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: January 29, 2014, 11:44:20 AM »
I think I've seen hover text work on touch screen. It's just activated by a tap instead of mouse pointer. Even if it doesn't, it's not so critical that it would seriously impact players' ability to play. Titles can always be defined in the general bulletin, and players can always send a quick message to request clarification.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: January 29, 2014, 02:10:13 PM »
A tap on a touch screen is treated as a click.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.