Author Topic: Adventurer Game: Searching for items  (Read 7043 times)

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Adventurer Game: Searching for items
« Topic Start: August 11, 2011, 06:41:19 PM »
13 hour search for "pretty plenties".

You wander around the rural and...

1st hour: You find nothing of value.
    2nd hour: You find nothing of value.
    3rd hour: You find nothing of value.
    4th hour: You are disturbed by peasants and militia and can not gather anything.
    5th hour: You are disturbed by peasants and militia and can not gather anything.
    6th hour: You find nothing of value.
    7th hour: You find nothing of value.
    8th hour: You find nothing.
    9th hour: You are disturbed by peasants and militia and can not gather anything.
    10th hour: You have found a piece of moonstone.
    11th hour: You are disturbed by peasants and militia and can not gather anything.
    12th hour: You find nothing of value.
    13th hour: You find nothing of value.

I am not a usual advy player, playing one regularly after a couple of months. But in the dozen odd searches i've done for items, i have never received more than 3 items, and a search like the one above is the norm.  Is there really a difference between pretty plenties, balanced and boring, and rare and risky? I have not noticed it.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Re: Adventurer Game: Searching for items
« Reply #1: August 11, 2011, 06:47:54 PM »

4th hour: You are disturbed by peasants and militia and can not gather anything.
    5th hour: You are disturbed by peasants and militia and can not gather anything.
    9th hour: You are disturbed by peasants and militia and can not gather anything.
    11th hour: You are disturbed by peasants and militia and can not gather anything.

I am not a usual advy player, playing one regularly after a couple of months. But in the dozen odd searches i've done for items, i have never received more than 3 items, and a search like the one above is the norm.  Is there really a difference between pretty plenties, balanced and boring, and rare and risky? I have not noticed it.

I started out searching for pretty plenties. Then I found around 2 things every 12-hour search I made, with some exceptions. As time went by, I started searching only for rare. Now I find 1 item for a 12-hour search, and quite often none at all.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Jim

« Reply #2: August 11, 2011, 06:48:35 PM »
You found moonstone, that means your Jigglypuff can finally evolve into a Wigglytuff.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 11, 2011, 06:53:08 PM »
better to use two hours searches in a row, instead of one big search.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 11, 2011, 08:32:08 PM »

QFT.

Odd thing, when I find something, I normally find some more. Like I can search for 5 x 2 hours, and get nothing. Then I will do another 5 x 2 hours, find 2 things in one search, and find another in another search.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: August 11, 2011, 08:37:48 PM »

You're seing pattern where none exist. I wouldn't ever intentionally code nonsense like that, and I'm usually trying to make sure there isn't any accidentally. I just checked the code again to make sure. There is absolutely no advantage to splitting your searches this way. On the contrary, it may even hurt your chances, if you get too tired.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 11, 2011, 09:06:38 PM »
You're seing pattern where none exist. I wouldn't ever intentionally code nonsense like that, and I'm usually trying to make sure there isn't any accidentally. I just checked the code again to make sure. There is absolutely no advantage to splitting your searches this way. On the contrary, it may even hurt your chances, if you get too tired.

Hmmm, interesting! I suppose the crux of the matter then is: If one searches for 10 hours straight, starting at zero fatigue, will all 10 searches be based on zero fatigue, or the respective amount of fatigue based on how many hours have already been done?

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 11, 2011, 10:48:57 PM »

Really? I guess this is the combination of misinformation by a Dev and self-fulfilling prophecy. I can assure you my thinking pattern is far from unique.

Though I must admit I've usually been too lazy to search several times in a row. This is good news :)

Thunthorn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 12, 2011, 12:05:34 AM »
The benefits of doing short searches used to be that you could check for a sage/wizard between them but this should be obsoleted with the new moving sages.
EC: Ilias, Taelmoth (Sirion)
Beluaterra: Ivagil (Melhed), Thoron (Adventurer, Fronen)
Atamara: Haniel (Adventurer, Coria)

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 12, 2011, 03:24:07 AM »
I have played the adventurer class a lot for a long time, my main adventurer has been around for a few years and has been straight gathering for most of that time.  I find that if you start at 0 fatigue 13 hour searches are pretty good at avoiding fatigue.  Follow with 7 hours in a tent and your ready to go again.  Changing your search type is good depending on what your searching for.  If you don't care what you find then go pretty and plenty and you'll find more stuff.  If your going for a specific item you need to figure out if its common, pretty and plenty, or rare, so do a rare search.  Hell you can even find rare items doing pretty and plenty so its not like it completely destroys your chances, just greatly reduces them :)

And yes I have a huge list of items on my character even with using a bunch over the years to create and repair magic items.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 12, 2011, 04:50:17 AM »

Yes there is a difference, but it is more pronounced for more experienced advies with better adventuring gear.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Lefanis

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 12, 2011, 06:55:56 PM »
Yes there is a difference, but it is more pronounced for more experienced advies with better adventuring gear.

I guess this makes sense. My advy has 24% advy gear. I'll keep checking the values as he gains skill.
What is Freedom? - ye can tell; That which slavery is, too well; For its very name has grown; To an echo of your own

T'is to work and have such pay; As just keeps life from day to day; In your limbs, as in a cell; For the tyrants' use to dwell

egamma

« Reply #12: August 13, 2011, 05:24:03 AM »
I guess this makes sense. My advy has 24% advy gear. I'll keep checking the values as he gains skill.

You should also go to a less populated region with no militia. That would give you fewer interruptions.

Corwyn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 13, 2011, 06:21:44 AM »
I used to get messages about being tired, or something to that effect (I don't recall anymore -- it's been a while).  Even when I started with 0 fatigue.  So now I've been doing searched in 4 hour blocks, and resting in between.  I haven't seen that message since.

However, based on other people's replies here who search for 13 hours straight, perhaps that's not the norm?  When you search for 13 hours straight you only get messages about being disturbed (and "finding" messages), and never anything else?
Ni'Tessine Family: Corwyn (Sirion), Terril (Arcachon), Torin (adventurer)

squishymaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 13, 2011, 10:20:39 PM »
Pretty much, but if 4 hour search blocks works for you thats cool too.