Author Topic: Disease as a Game-Mechanic  (Read 6847 times)

Lopeyschools

• Knight
  • Meow Meow Secret Mission Meow
    • View Profile
Disease as a Game-Mechanic
« Topic Start: August 13, 2011, 03:59:38 AM »
I searched around but couldn't find anything on the idea of introducing disease as a game mechanic into battlemaster. The game replicates famine well, but the other major killer of the medieval world is missing! Disease could follow the spread of peasants or nobles, and even be used as early biological warfare(infiltrator placing plague rats in the wells?). Effects could vary based on type of disease and whether it effected a noble or the peasantry.

Opinions?

Kula (Ibladesh), Lucius (Caligan Empire), Graviel (Caerwyn)

Lopeyschools

• Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Disease as a Game-Mechanic
« Reply #1: August 13, 2011, 04:06:33 AM »
Ah woops, this should be moved to the feature request page.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 13, 2011, 04:24:15 AM »
I searched around but couldn't find anything on the idea of introducing disease as a game mechanic into battlemaster.

Frequently requested, frequently rejected.

No one wants their character to just randomly be struck down by something they can't control in any way.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Lopeyschools

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 13, 2011, 04:38:19 AM »
Perhaps disease would only effect the peasantry? They are merely peasants after all ;D

Zakilevo

« Reply #4: August 13, 2011, 06:14:12 AM »
And your character is immunized already? with what? lol

Lopeyschools

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 13, 2011, 08:24:14 AM »
We already seem to be immune from famine...

Daycryn

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 13, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »
Not immunized, but perhaps, as a noble, well-fed, relatively clean and hygienic, warm and happy when it's winter. These things mean less likely to fall prey to a cold or pneumonia. The average peasant, on the other hand, lives in a barn where pigs and livestock eat and poop, is malnourished, filthy, and more exposed to the elements, cold, heat, and overworked.
Lokenth, Warrior of Arcaea, former Adventurer
Adamir, Lord of Luria Nova

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 13, 2011, 09:23:16 AM »
Good point.

Well, I guess we could assume regular diseases already take their toll. Some kind of plague, that can start in a region and spread out if neglected might be cool. Though it might just give us yet another parameter to micromanage.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 13, 2011, 03:06:30 PM »
Frequently requested, frequently rejected.

Will not happen.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 13, 2011, 05:08:28 PM »
Yeah I know. But perhaps we can come up with an idea the Mighty Devs did't consider? Isn't this forum's purpose to discuss? Idk about the others, but I don't mind discuss the possibilities, even if it's cut off by a blunt 'will never happen'.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 13, 2011, 05:19:48 PM »
Disease, by its nature, will tend to make the game less fun for no real benefit.

The only potential benefit I can see in disease is using it to force people to split up their armies more or pay more for extra precautions.  But that just doesn't make up for the drawbacks involved.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #11: August 13, 2011, 07:58:57 PM »
How. Tell us how it would make the game less fun, all mighty know it all.

Huntsmaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 13, 2011, 09:28:02 PM »

You could just cull the infected peasants before they infect real people.
Agiri (Carelia) Tinwe (Greater Aenilia) Ayrl (Fissoa) Wyllham (IVF)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 13, 2011, 09:33:18 PM »
This isn't a Dev decision, that's straight from Tom.  And while, once in a blue moon, Tom does change his mind, it's not something anyone bets on happening and the devs know well enough not to ask unless there's a really, really, really, really good reason.

Tom doesn't want disease.  None of the possible benefits qualify as really, really, really, really good, so none of the devs are going to bring it up with him, and I would suggest that doing it yourself would be a bad plan.

So, you can discuss hypotheticals if you like, but it's not going to happen short of a minor miracle.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 13, 2011, 10:14:13 PM »

None of the possible benefits qualify as really, really, really, really good, so none of the devs are going to bring it up with him, and I would suggest that doing it yourself would be a bad plan.

None of the possible benefits you people have thought of :) Not that I have myself, but at least offer us a chance to discuss things there is an apparent interest in.