Author Topic: horses?  (Read 18324 times)

cjnodell

Re: horses?
« Reply #30: August 15, 2011, 08:33:02 PM »
Perhaps modeling the horse like the captain. Every noble has one. It has a name (random or chosen by the character). It has some descriptors (breed, appearance). Perhaps it automatically improves over time (better bonuses). If a noble is injured in battle there is a chance their horse dies. Or the horse ages and loses bonuses and eventually dies. The horse is then replaced by a new horse. Optionally, a character can choose to purchase new horses with varying bonuses. Perhaps even own multiple mounts which may give increased bonuses. Even training might provide quicker access to bonuses. All this extra is optional and costs time and gold (purchase and upkeep). Bonuses could include better travel times for the noble, increased combat ability for the noble, increased moral for a nobles units, etc...

A setup like this requires no extra effort on a players part but allows one to spend gold and time to potentially gain an advantage. I would probably rather spent the time/gold recruiting and training troops. Others may be big horse fans. Perhaps this kind of approach would work for everyone as long as the time/gold required for the bonuses gained are equal to or less than what could be gained by simply doing what we already do - recruiting and training troops.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: August 15, 2011, 08:59:56 PM »
If this ever becomes a feature, I want an option to turn it off so I don't have to deal with horse crap.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: August 15, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Captains perform a useful purpose, with bonuses that affect the troops a noble leads in various ways. But captains take absolutely no effort on the part of the player. You don't have to go hunting for them, you can't buy them or hire them, you don't have to pay them, they take no effort whatsoever on the part of the player. They can be completely ignored by the player, and they will still do their job.

A horse, that every noble in the world probably has multiples of, and would only ever be noticed by another merely by their conspicuous absence, is something that would very little to nothing to the game. Being able to/having to spend hours  caring for your horse? Isn't that what grooms/squires are for? And in return you get some kind of traveling bonus for when you don't have a unit to lead? You a;ready get a travel bonus when you're not leading a unit, because you're assumed to be traveling fast and light, because you have horses. Kind of like cavalry units travel faster, because they have horses. If we were to give a horse travel bonus, we'd actually have to slow down everyone who was traveling without a unit and didn't have a horse. And then we have to worry about horses dying, and having to buy new ones, naming our horses, being able to buy multiple horses for multiple benefits, etc. etc.

To be honest, I can't see Tom ever adding any kind of game mechanics to deal with something as mundane as a horse. "Pets" of all kinds are a rejected request. I think that horses would almost certainly fall under the heading of pets.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: August 16, 2011, 08:32:32 AM »
when advy->noble...

You will also need to spend 20 gold on a noble's garb, a horse and other necessary items.
firefox

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: August 16, 2011, 11:24:41 AM »
"Pets" of all kinds are a rejected request. I think that horses would almost certainly fall under the heading of pets.

Damn. I was just going ask that if this is implemented we could get a choice of various steads; specifically: I want to ride a dragon.

Think we could get dragon steads instead of horses?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: August 16, 2011, 12:16:41 PM »
Damn. I was just going ask that if this is implemented we could get a choice of various steads; specifically: I want to ride a dragon.

I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going.
Ardet nec consumitur.

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: August 16, 2011, 12:21:05 PM »
It depends, Black or Pink dragons?
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #37: August 16, 2011, 01:11:08 PM »
Captains perform a useful purpose, with bonuses that affect the troops a noble leads in various ways. But captains take absolutely no effort on the part of the player. You don't have to go hunting for them, you can't buy them or hire them, you don't have to pay them, they take no effort whatsoever on the part of the player. They can be completely ignored by the player, and they will still do their job.

A horse, that every noble in the world probably has multiples of, and would only ever be noticed by another merely by their conspicuous absence, is something that would very little to nothing to the game. Being able to/having to spend hours  caring for your horse? Isn't that what grooms/squires are for? And in return you get some kind of traveling bonus for when you don't have a unit to lead? You a;ready get a travel bonus when you're not leading a unit, because you're assumed to be traveling fast and light, because you have horses. Kind of like cavalry units travel faster, because they have horses. If we were to give a horse travel bonus, we'd actually have to slow down everyone who was traveling without a unit and didn't have a horse. And then we have to worry about horses dying, and having to buy new ones, naming our horses, being able to buy multiple horses for multiple benefits, etc. etc.

To be honest, I can't see Tom ever adding any kind of game mechanics to deal with something as mundane as a horse. "Pets" of all kinds are a rejected request. I think that horses would almost certainly fall under the heading of pets.

By your logic oxen are pets as well. Perhaps we shouldn't have ox carts for transfering food between regions. Can't have pets now, can we?

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: August 16, 2011, 01:14:03 PM »
It depends, Black or Pink dragons?

I've always roleplayed my dragons as being red. I don't see the game mechanic advantage of setting color as a coded choice, unless it relates to some characteristics.

One possibility would be to allow infils with green dragons to hide in woodland regions, and blue dragons on coastal regions, etc.

But generally speaking, I think the new estate system should come first.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39: August 16, 2011, 01:35:04 PM »
I've always roleplayed my dragons as being red. I don't see the game mechanic advantage of setting color as a coded choice, unless it relates to some characteristics.

One possibility would be to allow infils with green dragons to hide in woodland regions, and blue dragons on coastal regions, etc.

But generally speaking, I think the new estate system should come first.

You're a funny guy ;)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: August 16, 2011, 02:32:50 PM »
By your logic oxen are pets as well. Perhaps we shouldn't have ox carts for transfering food between regions. Can't have pets now, can we?
Can you hire oxen?
Does your character page keep track of how many oxen you have?
Do you have to feed your oxen?
Does the game track the cute little nicknames you give to your oxen?

cjnodell

« Reply #41: August 16, 2011, 02:46:27 PM »
Now that you mentioned pets, I have this REALLY awesome idea! So, characters have the option to tour the wilderness in search of strange creatures. When they find one they can throw an enchanted orb at it and, if they are lucky, capture the strange creature in it.

Once they poses such a creature they can have their creature do battle against the creatures other nobles have caught. Over time  the creatures will level up and gain power. There should be a variety of different creatures that each have unique traits.

Characters can catch a variety of the little beasties thus forming a unique team of pet-warriors that they can use to battle the other characters teams. Or, one could be more of a collector. After all, you "gotta have them all!"

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #42: August 16, 2011, 03:20:15 PM »
Can you hire oxen?
Does your character page keep track of how many oxen you have?
Do you have to feed your oxen?
Does the game track the cute little nicknames you give to your oxen?

Yes, as a lord, if I last recall. They carry food on carts to nearby regions.
No. I have others to do that for me.
No. Why should I, the stableboys handle that.
No. I can RP that.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: August 16, 2011, 03:23:15 PM »
No. I have others to do that for me.
No. Why should I, the stableboys handle that.
No. I can RP that.

No, you cannot "hire oxen".  You can send out ox carts.  There are no individual oxen that you have to hire.

Horses, like oxen, are assumed to be there.  You don't have to manage them, you don't have to name them or hire them or feed them or do anything with game-buttons for them—but if you RP yourself as having one, then you have one. It can have a name, and a personality, and you can RP yourself feeding it, and buying that feed with a few coppers, or even silvers if you're particularly fond of it.

But we're not adding horses as a separate paraphernalia object.  There's not enough benefit to be gained from it to justify the work involved.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: August 16, 2011, 03:28:35 PM »
Don't be ridiculous.