Author Topic: horses?  (Read 18323 times)

Gustav Kuriga

Re: horses?
« Reply #45: August 16, 2011, 03:30:29 PM »
In my mind, you hire the oxen as part of the carts, therefore you are hiring the oxen. No, not individually, but where did I state "I only hire one oxen, and nothing else with it"?

By the way, I agree that horses should not be paraphernalia, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate to make sure you guys use actual arguments that are based on logic, not just "It'll make the game more girly".

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: August 16, 2011, 03:34:03 PM »
By the way, I agree that horses should not be paraphernalia, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate to make sure you guys use actual arguments that are based on logic, not just "It'll make the game more girly".

Apparently, I need to use more sarcasm markers.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: August 16, 2011, 03:43:49 PM »
In my mind, you hire the oxen as part of the carts, therefore you are hiring the oxen. No, not individually, but where did I state "I only hire one oxen, and nothing else with it"?
Your argument had no more validity than trying to claim that the game should let you buy and track individual pieces of armor because "Hey, I can hire infantry, and infantry wear armor and carry, so I'm really already buying armor and weapons, so therefore I should be able to got to a weaponsmith and commission him to  make me a katana and wakizashi to go along with the dual-wield skill that we therefore must add to the game!"
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #48: August 16, 2011, 03:50:42 PM »
What do ox carts have to do with equipment, mind you? Also, note my comment about not arguing for it to be paraphernalia.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: August 16, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »
Because the fact that the carts you hire to carry food include a pair of oxen is as relevant as the fact that the soldiers that you hire are wearing breastplates. Thus, saying that you "hire oxen" when you ship food is equivalent to saying that you "buy breastplates" when you recruit soldiers.

And yes, I know that you're playing devil's advocate. That's fine. But the logic you are using to state your argument could be easily extended to argue that we need to model the purchase and details of everything from the type of stone we use to build fortifications all the way down to the style and decoration of the salt cellars on our banquet tables.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50: August 16, 2011, 03:59:45 PM »
To be fair, adding named horses as Unique Items seems reasonable and interesting. Only the naming scheme would need to be changed; the requirement for repairs can be seen as requirement for the unique saddle.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #51: August 16, 2011, 04:32:27 PM »
Because the fact that the carts you hire to carry food include a pair of oxen is as relevant as the fact that the soldiers that you hire are wearing breastplates. Thus, saying that you "hire oxen" when you ship food is equivalent to saying that you "buy breastplates" when you recruit soldiers.

And yes, I know that you're playing devil's advocate. That's fine. But the logic you are using to state your argument could be easily extended to argue that we need to model the purchase and details of everything from the type of stone we use to build fortifications all the way down to the style and decoration of the salt cellars on our banquet tables.

There, see! That's how you deconstruct an argument.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: August 16, 2011, 07:23:45 PM »
But we're not adding horses as a separate paraphernalia object.  There's not enough benefit to be gained from it to justify the work involved.

Sooo.... there's still hope for dragons?
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: August 16, 2011, 10:06:02 PM »
Only as long as they are not Pink or other girly colors.
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #54: August 16, 2011, 11:23:59 PM »
Because we want more players, but girls aren't allowed!

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: August 17, 2011, 12:18:33 AM »
Because we want more players, but girls aren't allowed!

Yes...no girls in this clubhouse!

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #56: August 17, 2011, 12:19:40 AM »
Yes...no girls in this clubhouse!

I distance myself from these dangerous ideas. I welcome women into our most wonderful gaming society. Oh btw, Vellos' link to that stat-site showed that most people logging in to BM were... women. Yeah, I think the stats are wrong, honestly.  :)
Ardet nec consumitur.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: August 17, 2011, 02:43:55 AM »
Well, tbh, we've warned them all to stay away from you.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #58: August 23, 2011, 01:04:04 AM »
Closing this thread.

a) it has ventured off-topic
b) your character is already assumed to ride a horse, the first few comments were right on target.