Author Topic: Loot Tax  (Read 3214 times)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Loot Tax
« Topic Start: August 24, 2011, 09:31:09 PM »
As the title says, the banker could levy a tax on income from looting.

I hope that it would encourage realms to start seeing looting as a legitimate source of income. Some smaller, poorer realms (OI comes to mind on EC) especially could benefit from essentially living off the lands of others, if they prove competent enough that is.

And well, to be honest, I think it'd be pretty cool if there were to be more raids on top of the "I will destroy you!" kind of wars we usually see.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Loot Tax
« Reply #1: August 24, 2011, 09:43:44 PM »
It would be cool if realms would just see this as an extra mean of income, and not tax it... I see no need to tax it.
Ardet nec consumitur.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 24, 2011, 10:01:21 PM »
Yeah, just what we need, more incentive for widespread looting ::)

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 24, 2011, 10:02:11 PM »
Well, the way I see it it's unlikely to be seen in such a way as long as only the first to loot really get a considerable sum from it. By the end of raid, those who can log in early would have the lionshare of all the loot, and the other just the scraps that were left.
Furthermore, while that gold is likely to go into a unit, it's not likely to be used for the longterm benefit of the realm, and thus it can't be considered a reliable source of income. For realms to really make a living off of raiding, there needs to be a way to harvest or spread out that wealth.

I'm not proposing this to safeguard the loot's reputation of just some extra income... I'm proposing it to open up more possibilities for hardcore raider-realms. :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 24, 2011, 10:24:08 PM »
So turn on a property tax with a 100 gold limit. And then a wealth tax at 200 gold, with a much higher rate. Anyone who loots significant amounts of gold will get taxed. And then you'll also hit those gold hoarders, and money-bag dukes, too.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #5: August 24, 2011, 11:11:26 PM »
What Indirik says. Not needed, plus how do you tax robbery? ;)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 25, 2011, 02:42:13 AM »
Well, I imagine it'd be a bit easier to tax state-sponsored robbery than, you know, robbery robbery.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 25, 2011, 03:41:27 AM »
Well, I imagine it'd be a bit easier to tax state-sponsored robbery than, you know, robbery robbery.

And how is the game supposed to tell the difference?
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 25, 2011, 02:40:46 PM »
And how is the game supposed to tell the difference?

One is named looting. It is an honorable act to do in a war.

The other is done by infiltrators. It's so shameful, no one else even knows they are infiltrators!
After all it's a roleplaying game.