Author Topic: Prelude - Rise of the Merchant Princes  (Read 4241 times)

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
Re: Prelude - Rise of the Merchant Princes
« Topic Start: August 16, 2011, 03:37:42 AM »
hmm. So if my character does some other character, I have to put it in a separate thread? How do you track down one character's storyline like this?

I don't follow.  Does some other character?  Think of each thread as a scene in a movie.  People can enter that scene and leave it.  There should be markers that will unite scenes together.  So for instance off screen several characters are in the town when Raenart arrives in the morning (I believe I stated it was Dawn at the start of the scene).  His entry is finished, but the camera moves to the Winking Lizard tavern where some of the characters are having a pint over mid-day meal when in bursts a gutter rat with news of a fancy and mean looking Company man.  The gutter rat is looking for some coin for this potentially valuable information.  You might be able to press him about details, notably the sword hilt I made a big deal out of.

So now people can interact in the tavern.  Lets say your character is a mercenary looking for work.  He hears of some new big shot coming to town and heads up to the stockade leaving this scene behind.  He's written out of it and into his own thread about the Stockade.  So he goes up in the early afternoon looking for work.  He might get directed towards the recruiting station for the guards.  Another person's character decides to look for information with the sailors back at the docks, so he now has his thread again with pertinent time point references so that people can judge if their characters are capable of joining that scene and so on.

You can't be two places at once, and it's been established the mines are a fair distance away at least a half days travel.  Nothing else around the town has been described beyond the harbor so anyone can RP that.  Maybe there is a road leading in from another village a few days away that someone is walking in on etc.  Its up to you guys to fill in the missing details, to figure out how to start their story.

I was sort of a spoil-sport with the first post in that I wrote it as fairly closed.  I'll try to rectify that.