Author Topic: Prelude - Arrival of the Merchant Prince  (Read 4380 times)

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Prelude - Arrival of the Merchant Prince
« Topic Start: August 16, 2011, 08:49:24 AM »
"And so I says, 'If I wanted a kiss, I'dve called for your wife!"  Raucous laughter erupts from across the street.  A middle-aged farmer stands packing up the last of his wares from the day.  "Well, that'll do us for today.  Me'n Jervin'll be back in the morning, right son?"

The boy, however, is not paying attention. His eyes are fixed on the commotion happening across the street.  Young brows furrowed, his fists clench at his thrice-patched leggings.  His father eventually follows his gaze.

"Oy! You there! Not in front of the boy!"  He pats his son on top of his cap.  "Now then, son. Let's be off."

The cart lurches forward after a quick nudge of the oxen by the farmer.  But the boy's eyes never leave the woman.  And the entire ride home, three things replay themselves over and over again.  One, the blood spatter on the woman's blouse.  Two, the man's voice shouting about a map.  And three, the look of ecstasy on the woman's face as she addressed her new assailants. Something told Jervin that she'd be getting the better end of whatever deal they struck.