Author Topic: More letters available while wounded  (Read 11572 times)

Zakilevo

More letters available while wounded
« Topic Start: August 15, 2011, 06:44:47 PM »
With the new wounding system I just experience, it is really frustrating how you still can only see a few letters.

Can we see more letters while we are wounded? I say if we have 'wounded' status, we should maybe be able to see 50-60% of the letters or even 70%. For 'seriously wounded' maybe we cannot see more than 10-20%? or even 0?

And can we send short letters at least? Maybe limited to 10-20 characters or make it so when you send a letter, some parts get cut offed?

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: More letters available while wounded
« Reply #1: August 15, 2011, 06:56:58 PM »
I'd say you should be thankful for every letter that you can read, while you are at risk of dying of some infection because a sword sliced into your flesh and it feels like Satan himself is peeing in your wound!  ::)

But I agree that being wounded can be... boring. Although you still have other characters to play and you should grasp the opportunity to focus on these instead. What I just hate most about the few letters you do get to read, is that I forget to reply to them because they don't show up afterwards (I think).
Ardet nec consumitur.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 15, 2011, 07:13:07 PM »
How about being able to read them, but not send any? Forced spectator mode, of sorts.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 15, 2011, 07:16:29 PM »
How about being able to read them, but not send any? Forced spectator mode, of sorts.

The problem with this is that it encourages people to then use OOC means of communication.  "My god!  No one's commented on that scout report!  Gotta hop on IRC, find the Vice Marshal, he has to do something!"

Still happens when you can't read everything, but the problem is less acute because you have to get people to tell you stuff OOC first.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

irishlad222

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 15, 2011, 07:18:01 PM »
I like the idea of being able to mumble something something in the area of 20 charaters or so once per turn/day.  Maybe the lenth of the message can vary depending on the severity of the wound, ranging from nothing for dying/serious to a sentence or two for a regular wound.  Also, the chances that you feel well enough or are conscience at all on any given turn can be random or based on age.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 15, 2011, 07:28:43 PM »
I like the idea of being able to mumble something something in the area of 20 charaters or so once per turn/day.  Maybe the lenth of the message can vary depending on the severity of the wound, ranging from nothing for dying/serious to a sentence or two for a regular wound.  Also, the chances that you feel well enough or are conscience at all on any given turn can be random or based on age.

I also do like this. However, I think it's hard to fit it in with the fact that your character is capable of reading letters, but can only mumble a few words. Nevertheless, I do like that idea!
Ardet nec consumitur.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 15, 2011, 10:49:57 PM »
Yay for mumbling!  8)

Can't wait for a ruler to wake up, finding that his realm went to war with the wrong enemy :)

Darksun

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
    • Bucksplace
« Reply #7: August 15, 2011, 11:07:58 PM »
The problem with this is that it encourages people to then use OOC means of communication.  "My god!  No one's commented on that scout report!  Gotta hop on IRC, find the Vice Marshal, he has to do something!"

Still happens when you can't read everything, but the problem is less acute because you have to get people to tell you stuff OOC first.

My guess is the same type of person who would head to IRC to get someone to look at a scout report would be asking for updates on IRC while wounded. I don't think that this change would have much impact on meta or power gaming and would make the game less boring for the rest of us who don't go on IRC or use other OOC methods to communicate. Don't let the small number of people who would participate in what is *clearly* against the rules to stop us from making the game more enjoyable for the rest of us.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 16, 2011, 02:45:19 AM »
The problem with characters being allowed to post even short messages while wounded is that it removes one of the primary disadvantages of being wounded: Not being able to communicate. Thus removing one of the major advantages of a successful assassination of key nobles. A careful player could easily craft an order, or the sending of a key piece of information (like the identity of their attacker), in a mere 20 or 30 characters.

Being allowed to read messages while wounded is kind of an OOC nod to the players and the "don't make the game suck" guideline. But I don't see any particular reason to allow people to send messages, too. We already here lots of complaints from people that wounded characters can recover enough to read and send messages too quickly. The fact that we're hearing lots of complaints from both sides kind of leads me to believe that we have the balance just about right. :D
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 16, 2011, 07:15:32 AM »
What about being able to keep reading the few messages you are allowed to read. Right now you can only read a message once, until you change what page you are on. It really stinks if you double click the read messages button and then refreshes the page and you never get a chance to read those messages.

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 16, 2011, 11:43:26 AM »
The problem with characters being allowed to post even short messages while wounded is that it removes one of the primary disadvantages of being wounded: Not being able to communicate. Thus removing one of the major advantages of a successful assassination of key nobles. A careful player could easily craft an order, or the sending of a key piece of information (like the identity of their attacker), in a mere 20 or 30 characters.

What about allowing the player to write a longer message once a day, and then the game deletes and rearrange a few words on the way before sending it to the intended characters?

Thinking about it, it's probably not a good idea. It's a fun idea, though.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 16, 2011, 08:48:40 PM »

This is what I think about 90% of the things in feature requests haha
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 16, 2011, 11:23:48 PM »
This is what I think about 90% of the things in feature requests haha

+1

Zakilevo

« Reply #13: August 16, 2011, 11:43:47 PM »

rofl. This will surely confuse people. I like it.

MaleMaldives

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 17, 2011, 10:52:53 PM »
What about being able to write roleplays? Cuz lets say a battle happens and you want to write a roleplay about your success, but then an early playing infiltrator wounds you before you finish writing it. So long as you only write about stuff before you got wounded, you should still be able to roleplay the battle as it happened before you got wounded. It kinda stinks that the player can't as it both prevents them from enjoying a different aspect of the game for awhile and if the roleplay was sent letter it would be weird and people would care less. It could be easily monitored for anyone that writes stuff about who the assassin was or anything after.