Author Topic: History of the East Continent  (Read 18257 times)

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
Re: History of the East Continent
« Reply #30: August 16, 2011, 04:49:36 PM »
It is not specifically designed to do so. But as I was writing my last response, I started to think about it. And yes, actually, it will be more able to respond to changes in the number of knights. This will require some work on the part of the lord, and the cooperation of the knight.  (Well, the lord could just do it without the knight's cooperation, but you may end up with a pissed-off knight.) Exact details will have to wait. Tom has started coding the new interface, but the exact details are still being worked out.

Sounds cool. Can't wait! :)
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Corwyn

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: August 16, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »
You may also want to take a look at http://wiki.battlemaster.org/wiki/Sirion_(Realm)/History , which has images of what some of the realms looked like back then, reports, and detailed histories since the start of the Fourth Age, etc...

Some of this you might be able to add to your history.  It is written from the perspective of two players (not characters) involved with the Sirion realm, with an eye towards being objective and following consensus, but nonetheless it's possible some subjectivity has sneaked in (you'll have to let me know if you find any and it can be corrected).
Ni'Tessine Family: Corwyn (Sirion), Terril (Arcachon), Torin (adventurer)

Peri

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: August 16, 2011, 06:15:57 PM »
I don't see the harm considering you could do the same thing :) And usually, it was more like 1-2 regions, not 3-4 :p
Is it better that they're driven rogue, and take ages to recover until they are useful for anyone? Just look at all the rogue regions in EC now. There used to be none.

I think that more than the fun deriving by the ease of conquest the large destruction war create may be a deterrent for the creation of large scale wars. If a war can be devastating even when done by someone who comes from the otehr side of the continent because he can burn down to nothing good chunks of your realm, people may think twice before performing hostile or bold actions, and everything could become a bit more careful and boring. Just a random thought.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: August 17, 2011, 02:44:57 AM »
We had to be tough to survive through all the manipulation and continental machinations by Doc and his Sirionites. You Sirionites still haven't been made to pay for your crimes!

;D ;)

I wonder how many Caligans know that Gregor demanded that Caligus be spared destruction that others were seeking.  He was the one who forced the issue of Caligus going to Partora.  If he hadn't Caligus would have been destroyed.  Kylie's no longer around, I wonder what other rulers would remember that *sigh*

Well that's inaccurate. It's right that Sirion never lost too much land, but nevertheless when Fontan created SoA and took out OR, Sirion was in a very dire moment. Thankfully a very well timed krimml incident, the secession of Fontan city and a whole lot other things distracted fontan enough to allow sirion to reform and - in time - get where we are now.

You're welcome  :D  I like to think it was well timed too, seeing as how I planned the fracturing of Fontan.  Silly Lions thinking they ran the place.

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #34: August 17, 2011, 02:48:10 AM »
PS - I updated the early early history, but not the pre-restart history.  James was ruler down south as I recall, I had Perdan, Stuart had Sirion.  Tom was in Ubent I believe then too.

I can only remember Perdan and Oligarch being at war... sadly.  Then I switched to Oligarch and Ibladesh with my characters.  The histories also lack the early assassinations that the rulers used to pay for against eachother.  (It used to be like 1k gold to have a shot at taking out the other ruler through an NPC)

Maybe I'll get around to filling in details I remember.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35: August 17, 2011, 02:55:32 AM »
You're welcome  :D  I like to think it was well timed too, seeing as how I planned the fracturing of Fontan.  Silly Lions thinking they ran the place.

Yeah, but all it took to bring them down was the right Titan report at the right time.  Their leader got upset that anyone dared question his right to do whatever he wanted (IC or OOC), and he left, and the rest followed.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

loren

• Noble Lord
  • I'm too old for this
    • View Profile
« Reply #36: August 17, 2011, 04:31:52 AM »
*shrug* I prefer to deal with power-gamers in game.  Call it my way of proving they're wrong.

Dobromir

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37: August 17, 2011, 08:00:58 AM »
PS - I updated the early early history, but not the pre-restart history.  James was ruler down south as I recall, I had Perdan, Stuart had Sirion.  Tom was in Ubent I believe then too.

I can only remember Perdan and Oligarch being at war... sadly.  Then I switched to Oligarch and Ibladesh with my characters.  The histories also lack the early assassinations that the rulers used to pay for against eachother.  (It used to be like 1k gold to have a shot at taking out the other ruler through an NPC)

Maybe I'll get around to filling in details I remember.

For reference i'd prefer if you run it by me.  I took a quick glance and stuff are in the wrong place now some information is repeated and a title is in the wrong place.

I dont want a ton of info being added and the read becoming impossible to understand.  Like I said i'll be adding things and updating.  Send me the info and be patient.  Either way thanks for the bit of info you did.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38: August 17, 2011, 02:11:20 PM »
*shrug* I prefer to deal with power-gamers in game.  Call it my way of proving they're wrong.

Well, it's not like I intended to get them all to quit.  I was just reporting the guy for an obvious violation (threatening to call the Titans on someone else).

The rest was all his own short temper.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Draco Tanos

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
    • Nova Roma
« Reply #39: August 17, 2011, 02:37:22 PM »
Well, it's not like I intended to get them all to quit.  I was just reporting the guy for an obvious violation (threatening to call the Titans on someone else).

The rest was all his own short temper.
So basically, you did what he tried to use to blackmail people with...  And so he threw a hissy fit and quit?  That's great.  lol

On subject:

Dobromir, very impressive so far.  Look forward to seeing more from you.

Dobromir

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40: August 17, 2011, 07:31:19 PM »
Added a new section.  Hoping to get one or two more on tonight.

Zakath

• Peasant
  • Take my advice. I don't use it anyway.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41: August 17, 2011, 11:39:10 PM »
I'd forgotten most of the EC warfare, but then again I was only around for the first few years of it. Was nice to read it again, although my beloved Oligarch has far too little information from the early days :)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42: August 18, 2011, 02:59:49 AM »
There is entirely too little mention of the importance of SADA and the POLPN. (Or was that the OPLPN? It's been far too long...)
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #43: August 18, 2011, 04:01:37 AM »
There is entirely too little mention of the importance of SADA and the POLPN. (Or was that the OPLPN? It's been far too long...)

What are those?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Dobromir

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #44: August 18, 2011, 07:38:38 AM »
The Perdan dueling guild and i dont know