Author Topic: FEI POWER RANKINGS  (Read 52765 times)

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: FEI POWER RANKINGS
« Reply #15: August 16, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »
There is no possible way that Arcachon is at the number one spot, nor Cathay.  And anyone saying Arcaea's walking out of the war with Aenilia and the rest of the south at anything less than a major win doesn't understand that that was the war to try and stop Arcaea from seriously expanding.

Similarly, while Arcachon has done well, there is no way it could be ranked at number one.  They (admittedly just barely) missed their chance to knock out OW and seriously kick Arcaea down a peg, but they did miss it.

The only potential contender with Arcaea for the number one spot is Zonasa, their last campaign up north aside, as they have a better diplomatic position than Arcaea.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Iltaran

• Noble Lord
  • What Gate?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 16, 2011, 10:59:53 AM »
As something of a young'un on FEI, just a few comments.

People seem to have a lot of confident in Arcachon's ability to punch above its weight. Their income is barely more than half that of Cathay, PoZ, or Kindara. And they're about to go toe to toe with Arcaea, which is substantially bigger again.

I'm suprised Zonasa is rated so lowly. Humilating defeats aside, they're still second in terms of nobles and more-or-less equal second with Cathay by income. Aenilla is a nice meatshield against Arcaea and they've got good natural defences against Cathay. Only their allies in Kindara could actually hurt them without a lot of work.

Also, why does C'thonia even still exist. One city and two rural regions is just... painful.
[Solari] it's generally understood that OG survives by some compact with the devil

Askarn - Maedros - Savra - Faed - Vanimus

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 16, 2011, 01:00:55 PM »
I haven't been on FEI in many years now.... what happened to GA!?

They picked a fight with a much larger realm and their allies weren't enough to prop them up.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 16, 2011, 01:09:16 PM »
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Ohnar West go up a few ranks?

So religion plays absolutely no part in power in the Far East? Selene, Veleno and Joseph are elders in their respective faiths, I think Vulpes is also a high ranking follower in The Church of Sartan. Iceberg (before he went away) is also fairly influential in Adgharinism. Surely those characters can wield a bit of power with their followers?

People seem to have a lot of confident in Arcachon's ability to punch above its weight. Their income is barely more than half that of Cathay, PoZ, or Kindara. And they're about to go toe to toe with Arcaea, which is substantially bigger again.

I think it's the sea routes, it makes it difficult for people to get over them from either way. Arcachon just seem to be doing better at it, making it look like they're punching above their weight. If they had a land connection, I'm fairly certain they'd be gone by now.

Carna

• Noble Lord
  • Not always sober
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 16, 2011, 01:56:34 PM »
Ohnar West is as or more religious than Arcachon, if you ask me. Not limited to one but the religions there play a big part. Iceberg controlled a fair portion of votes in Ohnar West's senate due to religion and for religion. Joseph had the same support when I was there. Before my characters left OW, the north and east duchies were predominantly Adgharins while the southern two duchies were Sartanians, and that was clear even when everyone was working together. And while OW certainly isn't up to too much now, they are the second largest realm on the FEI (Arcaea being #1, of course) with their longest border shared with their allies in Arcaea, their southern border shared with their allies in Cathay and their northern border shared by the realm that I expect to be formerly known as Arcachon. Selene's proven to be at least somewhat adept in her job given the peace in the south and their allies marching north. They're reclaiming their territory and managed to hold on.

OW was in a better position, it seems to me, when we took Papania than they are now, but the facts remain that they've survived as the second largest and are looking at seeing their borders properly secured. I could go by instinct which tells me right now to give them a low rating, but compared to GA's retreat from Nahad or C'thornia's vast bulk, OW probably deserves better than seven or eight.

My thoughts for the afternoon.

Finton.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 16, 2011, 02:25:09 PM »
Selene's proven to be at least somewhat adept in her job given the peace in the south and their allies marching north. They're reclaiming their territory and managed to hold on.
The current treaty between OW and Arcachon was offered by Arcachon for one reason only: Arcaea is coming back north. Were it not for that, the peace offer from Arcachon would have been something like their previous offer: Surrender the Akanos duchy to Arcachon. No offense to the player of Selene, but his political skills have little to nothing to do with the current cease-fire. Likewise, peace with GA is because GA got their asses kicked by Arcaea, and are in no shape to go after OW. Even if Arcaea would let them.

OW was in a better position, it seems to me, when we took Papania than they are now, but the facts remain that they've survived as the second largest and are looking at seeing their borders properly secured. I could go by instinct which tells me right now to give them a low rating, but compared to GA's retreat from Nahad or C'thornia's vast bulk, OW probably deserves better than seven or eight.
As a current member of OW, and Marshal of OW's sole army, I completely agree with the bottom-of-the-pile ranking for OW.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 16, 2011, 03:34:51 PM »
So religion plays absolutely no part in power in the Far East? Selene, Veleno and Joseph are elders in their respective faiths, I think Vulpes is also a high ranking follower in The Church of Sartan. Iceberg (before he went away) is also fairly influential in Adgharinism. Surely those characters can wield a bit of power with their followers?

Wielding religious power inside your own realm by no means equates to wielding military power outside of it. Have you not had that proved to you repeatedly over the past few months? If anything, having competing religions, including two that I believe are sworn to destroy each other, cripples you even more than you would be anyway.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: August 16, 2011, 03:39:06 PM »
Wielding religious power inside your own realm by no means equates to wielding military power outside of it. Have you not had that proved to you repeatedly over the past few months?

Nope, because I've used Veleno's position as elder in Adgharinism to get quite a few details out of people (mostly non-military because she's a pacifist, but the odd bit about armies). I'm pretty sure Selene has done the same.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 16, 2011, 03:48:18 PM »
Wait. I'm not on the FE and all, but... pacifist?

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: August 16, 2011, 03:52:37 PM »
Well, I'm glad you were able to use that information to stop your nobles squabbling like children long enough to unite against an enemy burning your lands to the ground, prevent your realm from being pulverised by said enemy that's a fraction of your size, stop your capital being sacked and turn Ohnar West into more than a military joke. Oh, wait...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: August 16, 2011, 03:59:10 PM »
You're assuming that he wants to do any of that stuff.

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: August 16, 2011, 04:04:40 PM »
Also, why does C'thonia even still exist. One city and two rural regions is just... painful.

I'm not sure how the tax rate works these days. In the old days, a small realm like that could drive an almost 25% taxrate (maximum at the time), while a realm with 3 duchies would have about 13%. In that way, the smaller ones could actually compete somewhat with larger realms.

Avamar and Rancagua hung on for a long time on EC despite being "just... painful" ;) Atleast in Avamar this was a major reason why.

Speaking of that, Is there any bonus these days so that small realms have a chance to challenge atleast medium realms? (except sea routes like Arcachon ;))
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: August 16, 2011, 04:15:19 PM »

She prefers not to have her realm at war with anyone. No quarrels with helping out an ally in need (supplying a few troops to help defend), but just keep the fighting away from her realm's regions and she's happy - mainly because it means she has less work to do in order to "correct those silly bureaucrats, farmers, merchants and police". Not one of those silly "let's all be friends and hold hands" pacifists :P

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: August 16, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »
Speaking of that, Is there any bonus these days so that small realms have a chance to challenge atleast medium realms?
Yes.  ;)

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: August 16, 2011, 04:27:57 PM »

A religious elder is arguing for his co-religionist not to fight against each other... nothing wrong there.
After all it's a roleplaying game.