Author Topic: What population for RC's to work?  (Read 6029 times)

Bael

• Mighty Duke
  • Have sword, will travel!
    • View Profile
What population for RC's to work?
« Topic Start: August 16, 2011, 01:44:56 PM »
I currently have two characters, who have lordship over a city and a woodland region. Both these regions have around half, or slightly more, population, and neither get any recruits. Both regions are in good shape regarding morale and loyalty.

Can someone please tell me at what percentage population I can actually expect to finally start getting recruits, and when the flaw of not being able to find any recruits in an 11k populated city will be fixed?

egamma

Re: What population for RC's to work?
« Reply #1: August 16, 2011, 07:30:56 PM »
I currently have two characters, who have lordship over a city and a woodland region. Both these regions have around half, or slightly more, population, and neither get any recruits. Both regions are in good shape regarding morale and loyalty.

Can someone please tell me at what percentage population I can actually expect to finally start getting recruits, and when the flaw of not being able to find any recruits in an 11k populated city will be fixed?

I think you need about 80% population.

Nathan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 16, 2011, 07:38:42 PM »
Doesn't it depend on the type and quality of the recruitment centre, as well as population? So even in a heavily depopulated region you'll be able to find recruits for the "Silly Sausage Soldiers" who go into battle in paper armour with swords made of air, which they're not quite sure how to wield. But recruits for the "Sadistic Soldiers of Slaughter" who wear two inch thick plate mail and wield swords the size of a grown man which they're able to throw a good few yards with ease might not even find recruits in a fully populated region.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 16, 2011, 08:10:44 PM »
Doesn't it depend on the type and quality of the recruitment centre, as well as population? So even in a heavily depopulated region you'll be able to find recruits for the "Silly Sausage Soldiers" who go into battle in paper armour with swords made of air, which they're not quite sure how to wield. But recruits for the "Sadistic Soldiers of Slaughter" who wear two inch thick plate mail and wield swords the size of a grown man which they're able to throw a good few yards with ease might not even find recruits in a fully populated region.

Well,  with infantry at 60/50 with 40 training, they're hardly amazing. And the barracks is size 3 (100). According to the current system, a city with 11000/19000 people cannot even furnish 1 recruit per day. Preposterous!

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 16, 2011, 08:22:48 PM »
Well,  with infantry at 60/50 with 40 training, they're hardly amazing. And the barracks is size 3 (100). According to the current system, a city with 11000/19000 people cannot even furnish 1 recruit per day. Preposterous!

I must agree with this. While I can understand that a region with under 200 peasants can hardly field any soldier, I think that there should be a certain amount that will guarantee a flow of recruits coming in, even if it's only 20% of the total population possible. The current code - or situation due to lack of players - leaves many regions in Battlemaster poorly populated (Dwilight) or suffering from starvation quite often (everywhere). A tactic, forced on you by the game, is to let your population die off a little until you can feed them all again... which is logical. What makes no sense is that a community of even 1000 peasants cannot find recruits every now and then. Certainly cities, like mentioned above, should be able to find multiple recruits daily. I mean, 11000 people is a lot. Certainly for a medieval city. Most cities never got there.

Next to that this gamecode is limiting continents like Dwilight, in my opinion, where the sense of a frontier is all fun and games, but the complete lack of enough nobles and full population requires lords to "draft" recruits, instead of letting them flow in naturally.
Ardet nec consumitur.

cjnodell

« Reply #5: August 16, 2011, 08:52:47 PM »
Well, yo can field soldiers via a draft. Plus, many of these same arguments have been made back and fort regarding population levels and building deterioration.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 16, 2011, 09:32:04 PM »
At 75% you get automatic recruits. After that point it depends on RC type, size and probably some other things how much daily recruits you get. War is also an important factor (you get significantly less recruits when you're at peace).
Until then though... you just have to draft.

It sure is irritating but that's kind of the point I guess. It adds to the damage when a region of yours is sacked.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 16, 2011, 10:06:45 PM »
War is also an important factor (you get significantly less recruits when you're at peace).
This is an important factor that most people often overlook. Realms that go without fighting for long periods of time will find it harder to find recruits than realms that have frequent fighting. And note that merely declaring war on someone is not enough. No fighting = no/few recruits.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 16, 2011, 10:12:07 PM »
This is an important factor that most people often overlook. Realms that go without fighting for long periods of time will find it harder to find recruits than realms that have frequent fighting. And note that merely declaring war on someone is not enough. No fighting = no/few recruits.

We are currently fighting six realms.

Lorgan

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 17, 2011, 12:42:57 AM »
We are currently fighting six realms.

This only counts once you've reached the 75%.

D`Este

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 17, 2011, 12:19:22 PM »
In Giask I have 76.000 peasants, yet no recruits are being trained... While in smaller regions barracks fill up rather fast..

Perhaps the percentage should be lowered the larger the city is to make some sense..
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 12:22:11 PM by D`Este »

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 17, 2011, 12:59:44 PM »
I agree that it makes no sense to think of a 76'000 people city as half-empty. The only way this works is if the buildings are all already there, but half-occupied.... it makes no sense. 76'000 people is a large city with room to grow, not a half-empty city.
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 17, 2011, 10:34:05 PM »
In Giask I have 76.000 peasants, yet no recruits are being trained... While in smaller regions barracks fill up rather fast..

Perhaps the percentage should be lowered the larger the city is to make some sense..

It would be nice if there could be a minimum population amount, as well as a minimum population percentage. And the centers would use whichever is the lower one.

vanKaya

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 17, 2011, 11:45:25 PM »
the "Silly Sausage Soldiers" who go into battle in paper armour with swords made of air, which they're not quite sure how to wield.

This is hilarious.   :D
Fyodor, Terran.   Vitaly, Enweil.

Bael

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: October 03, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »
I was finally able to verify for myself today that, for cities at least, they starting recruiting on their own at about 75% population.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:47:59 PM by Bael »