Author Topic: New migration code  (Read 7714 times)

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
New migration code
« Topic Start: August 17, 2011, 07:39:02 AM »
This was in my region report from this turn:

"Beziers: The population is growing 186 people through new births and immigrations. 267 people are leaving the region for the open lands nearby."

My region is less than half full. Yes, there are regions around with lower populations, but are peasants really going to go, "Hmm, I'm currently living in this region that's only 45% full, but I really want to go live in that region that's only 28% full. There's much more space there."

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: New migration code
« Reply #1: August 17, 2011, 07:41:03 AM »
This was in my region report from this turn:

"Beziers: The population is growing 186 people through new births and immigrations. 267 people are leaving the region for the open lands nearby."

My region is less than half full. Yes, there are regions around with lower populations, but are peasants really going to go, "Hmm, I'm currently living in this region that's only 45% full, but I really want to go live in that region that's only 28% full. There's much more space there."

If you just got a free 100 acre farm, but are now offered a free 200 acre farm in the next region, wouldn't you consider it a worthwhile investment to pack up again?
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 17, 2011, 12:01:02 PM »
If you just got a free 100 acre farm, but are now offered a free 200 acre farm in the next region, wouldn't you consider it a worthwhile investment to pack up again?

If the region is only 45% populated, I don't think the farm size matters. A farmer can only cover so much land ... I'd say population should be at least 60-80% before people consider moving.

What types are those regions? I can imagine townfolk will have different incentives to emigrate than farmers ...

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 17, 2011, 12:07:29 PM »
If the region is only 45% populated, I don't think the farm size matters. A farmer can only cover so much land ... I'd say population should be at least 60-80% before people consider moving.

What types are those regions? I can imagine townfolk will have different incentives to emigrate than farmers ...

I think the code also looks at things like tax rates
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 17, 2011, 03:14:48 PM »
After the migration, your region is less than half full.

If you check the math, though, before the migration, it was just over half full.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Velax

• Honourable King
  • House de Vere
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 17, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »
...and how does that in any way address my point? So the peasants say, "Hmm, I'm currently living in this region that's only 51% full, but I really want to go live in that region that's only 28% full. There's much more space there."

It took months for my population to reach the level it's at now, and just because there are other !@#$ty regions surrounding mine, I have to watch my population drop back into the crapper again? Or wait weeks/months/whatever for every other region around me to reach 50% population before my people stop leaving me for reasons completely out of my control?

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 17, 2011, 04:50:05 PM »
...and how does that in any way address my point? So the peasants say, "Hmm, I'm currently living in this region that's only 51% full, but I really want to go live in that region that's only 28% full. There's much more space there."

It took months for my population to reach the level it's at now, and just because there are other !@#$ty regions surrounding mine, I have to watch my population drop back into the crapper again? Or wait weeks/months/whatever for every other region around me to reach 50% population before my people stop leaving me for reasons completely out of my control?

It took months with the old code, but you've probably noticed that the pop growth is a lot faster now. So even if thousands leave, it might still go faster than with the old code?
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 17, 2011, 04:59:58 PM »
It took months with the old code, but you've probably noticed that the pop growth is a lot faster now. So even if thousands leave, it might still go faster than with the old code?

How can it go faster? Pop increase hasn't changed. The idea was, afaik, that regions with really low population would attract immigrants to increase pop rate... So if you're the 'source region' your population will increase slower than it did before.

By the way, how SMA is it to have peasants simply move away whenever they wish? Aren't they bound to the land they live on? (at least some - if not most- of them?

Kain

• Noble Lord
  • Prepared for both the book and the sword.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 17, 2011, 07:52:54 PM »
How can it go faster? Pop increase hasn't changed. The idea was, afaik, that regions with really low population would attract immigrants to increase pop rate... So if you're the 'source region' your population will increase slower than it did before.

Maybe you're right. When it was introduced, all I saw was that damaged regions which used to increase by 40 pop per day, now increased by 300-400.

Of course, maybe the birth numbers never increased/death numbers decreased and all of that increase came from somewhere else.
That would make sense.
House of Kain: Silas (Swordfell), Epona (Nivemus)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 17, 2011, 07:53:59 PM »

Of course it does. Do you want your descendants to share 100 acres, or 200 acres? So what if you can't farm it all, you'll likely be thinking of your descendants. Besides, more lands just means more grazing grounds for a bigger herd, so while you might not be able to plant all of those farmlands, that doesn't mean you can't fully exploit them.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #10: August 17, 2011, 10:36:18 PM »

By the way, how SMA is it to have peasants simply move away whenever they wish? Aren't they bound to the land they live on? (at least some - if not most- of them?

Apparently we have a lot of freemen, rather than peasants.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 17, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »
Of course it does. Do you want your descendants to share 100 acres, or 200 acres? So what if you can't farm it all, you'll likely be thinking of your descendants. Besides, more lands just means more grazing grounds for a bigger herd, so while you might not be able to plant all of those farmlands, that doesn't mean you can't fully exploit them.

Well no. Firstly, the land is owned by the Lord, or the Crown. Secondly, the more land you'd have at your disposal, the more taxes you'd have to pay. It's not like today where you can buy a lot of land for your later kids.

Now you could say that some farmers did own their land. But I think the amount of Freeman is severely limited. So limited, in fact, that the advies walking the BM universe probably take up all those sport already.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 17, 2011, 10:48:12 PM »
Well no. Firstly, the land is owned by the Lord, or the Crown. Secondly, the more land you'd have at your disposal, the more taxes you'd have to pay. It's not like today where you can buy a lot of land for your later kids.

Now you could say that some farmers did own their land. But I think the amount of Freeman is severely limited. So limited, in fact, that the advies walking the BM universe probably take up all those sport already.

They didn't have real estate taxes as we do now... Taxes were on production, like a fourteenth of your crop's harvest, for example. Ownership is a fuzzy concept, but you nonetheless had the right to work on that patch of land, and that patch of land was what your children would work on. Full ownership rights in this regard is unimportant.

That's a big reason for the European migrations. Just too many people for too little farming lands.

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 17, 2011, 10:52:20 PM »
But 'too little farming lands' is irrelevant here, if only 45% of the spots are taken.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 17, 2011, 10:53:44 PM »
But 'too little farming lands' is irrelevant here, if only 45% of the spots are taken.

Bigger is always better.