Author Topic: Threats of reprimand due to playing speed  (Read 39970 times)

Fury

Re: Threats of reprimand due to playing speed
« Reply #45: August 18, 2011, 06:34:38 PM »
I call BS on this.
Call it on the IR wiki document then. As is agreed here:

The wording of the IR, however, is specifically meant for seeking justice after being wrongfully persecuted.
I'm basing the IR wholly on it. Not on previous Titan judgements (I don't know them) in similar cases where punishments were (presumably) handed out.

Are you seriously saying, Fury, that you think giving the order to report every day should be allowed, but enforcing the order should be prohibited?
You may recall that previously only specific people were allowed to give out orders on red parchments to specific people. Ex. Marshals -> armies. Generals -> Marshals. The current IR wiki document dates to this period of time. After this restriction was lifted, everyone can now send out orders to anyone. Would anyone care if a lowly knight gave out orders that impinged on the IR? (He's also not really in a position of power so his actions aren't punishable though it goes against the spirit of the IR). I recall a new knight who sent out orders asking for others to move out now. No one cried IR against him or made a report AFAIK. He was practically ignored. I move that the same approach can be used for persons in power who send out letters that impinge on the IR (I move to use IMPINGE for actions that deserve only a warning and VIOLATE for actions that deserve punishment).

Orders without punishments can be safely ignored. The lowly knight who had no power to punish could be safely ignored. The person in power who has the ability to punish can also be safely ignored UNTIL he/she actually carries out the punishment. It is the education of masses on their IRs that is needed here. If everyone knew their rights and stood up for it there wouldn't need to be anyone not wanting to risk punishment when they KNOW the punishment against the offender is even greater. Newbies will learn in time. Oldies can stand up for them or make a report on their behalf in the meantime. If no one does then you're in a sucky realm  ::).

As as side note and also relevant to the issue:
The phrase Move out now or after sunset/sunrise is also problematic and impinges upon playing at your own speed, timing and activity level. "I'll move out when I'm bloody well ready too!" It's irrelevant that punishment is not threatened. It can certainly be implied without needing to state so.

Just as If your boss at work or your commander in the army says "could you please be so kind as to..." you would be foolish to assume that it was not an order you just received. Likewise if you did not carry out your orders in a timely manner you would be foolish to assume that there would be no punishment indirectly or otherwise. "Let's give out the gold to the active knights who are able to follow orders." Sound familiar? Forget the argument that giving out gold is reward and not punishment. Semantics and simply a point of view. Tell that to the knight who would change his play style so that he can move out in time and get the 'reward'.

I'm starting to guess that the current 'marker' for Titan action to be taken is when punishment is threatened. Because punishment as explained above can also be implied I'm suggesting that the marker be moved to when punishment is actually meted out. A simple shifting of the marker but clearly defines the impingement from the violation.

Pardon my French, but this is pure crapola.
Darn it, another tag team.  ;D

Anyone stating in game anything like: "Ill ban you if you go to the tournament"
can be replied with, "You can try" if they KNOW that the punishment on the judge can be greater and their own ban can be reversed. Once again education of the masses of the IR is the solution and I might add that in a game that thrives on conflict too much hand holding might not be the best long term option when enlightenment is so much better. "Oh, yes. Just let the Judge try to ban me. He'll make my day when I turn the tables on him."

"I'll give you 1,000 gold if you don't go to the tournament"
If they accept the gold then they can't later cry IR! since they have clearly forfeited their right to go to tournaments. If they don't accept it then they can simply go and ignore the offer. Just say no!

A very important thing to remember: IRs are not IC rights for the character. They are the OOC rights of the player. They are tools intended to protect the fun of the player. That is why you cannot deal with IR violations as an IC conflict.
Wherein lies the disharmony in unifying IC actions within an OOC boundary. Hence my suggestion in rewording the IR IC but it's not really important.

So, would your fanatically devoted warrior/hero who is defending his realm's capital in a last-ditch, desperate stand berate and degrade the noble who packs up and leaves to join the tournament being held in 9 days, calling him a coward in 22 different flowery and inventive ways, and promising to duel to the death the family members of everyone so gutless as to join the tournament? Of course he would. Would the Marshal who is frustrated with the apparent failure of the army to do their jobs, demand that the nobles of the army report their progress to him morning, noon and night? Doesn't seem too unreasonable.
Sounds most interesting and even more interesting to reply to IC. Once again moving the marker to when punishment is actually carried out maintains a clearly defined boundary of what is acceptable but at the same time opens up more leeway for interesting situations like the above to occur. It's going to be a mighty frustrating game if I have to keep looking over my shoulder at my words or double checking how they're worded. Everyone says things but it's the actions that should count. It should only be against actions like fines and bans etc. that a player can't defend against should official punishment be carried out.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46: August 18, 2011, 06:49:52 PM »
Call it on the IR wiki document then.
I'm basing the IR wholly on it. Not on previous Titan judgements (I don't know them) in similar cases where punishments were (presumably) handed out.

We agree that it needs some revision.  However, what's there makes it pretty damn clear that you can't order, suggest, request, hint, or in any other way indicate that someone should give up their IR.

Nowhere on the IR wiki page does it say that only punishing people who exercise their IR is a violation.  Nowhere does it even suggest it.

This is not up for discussion, either.  Whatever you may think about it, the very act of telling someone to log in at a certain time or not go to a tournament is a violation, and will remain so.

If they accept the gold then they can't later cry IR! since they have clearly forfeited their right to go to tournaments. If they don't accept it then they can simply go and ignore the offer. Just say no!

What part of "inalienable" do you not understand?

No noble can forfeit their right to go to tournaments.

It is an inalienable right, which means it is yours no matter what.  Someone offers you gold not to go to the tournament? Take the gold and go anyway.  Or take the gold and report them anyway.  You have not given up any rights.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #47: August 18, 2011, 08:16:44 PM »
This is not up for discussion, either.  Whatever you may think about it, the very act of telling someone to log in at a certain time or not go to a tournament is a violation, and will remain so.

While I wholeheartedly agree with you, Tim, on the case at hand, I do feel it's worth pointing out that Fury is a Magistrate, and you are not. So actually what Fury thinks about it really does matter and, in this particular court, my understanding is that he's got a wee bit more right to decide what is "up for discussion" than you do. Though he's obviously wrong in this case.

However, Fury, you don't need to convince Tim or Indirik.

Call it on the IR wiki document then. As is agreed here:
You may recall that previously only specific people were allowed to give out orders on red parchments to specific people. Ex. Marshals -> armies. Generals -> Marshals. The current IR wiki document dates to this period of time. After this restriction was lifted, everyone can now send out orders to anyone. Would anyone care if a lowly knight gave out orders that impinged on the IR? (He's also not really in a position of power so his actions aren't punishable though it goes against the spirit of the IR).

Yes, I would care if a lowly knight gave orders that violated an IR, even if he had no authority to enforce them. I would care if a realm had lots of peer pressure to avoid tournaments in wartime, even if it was all low-ranking knights doing the pressuring.

You correctly note that it goes against the spirit of the IRs. That's exactly the point. Battlemaster rules have never, ever, ever, in any time, in any way, been about the specific letter of the law. They have always been about the spirit of the game. And attempting to compel daily reports is evidently against the spirit of the game.

I recall a new knight who sent out orders asking for others to move out now. No one cried IR against him or made a report AFAIK. He was practically ignored. I move that the same approach can be used for persons in power who send out letters that impinge on the IR (I move to use IMPINGE for actions that deserve only a warning and VIOLATE for actions that deserve punishment).

I think that's a stupid distinction, and one you've invented to try and cover what is obviously a losing position.

Oh and, by the way:
http://thesaurus.com/browse/impinge

Impinge and violate are synonyms.

Regarding ordering to "move out now," that's hardly the same thing. Unless he was saying, "You must move out at this minute" it's obviously a different issue: the case we are discussing attempted to compel a regular, burdensome activity that necessitated a certain pace of play. Giving orders to move "next turn" is fundamentally different: it is basically understood that some people will fail to move, and we make up IC excuses for them. We work around it.

Orders without punishments can be safely ignored.

Requests or orders from a position of power have implicit punishments. Requests or orders from a "lowly knight" do not, but are still a violation of the spirit of the game (and could carry implicit punishments in some circumstances).

The lowly knight who had no power to punish could be safely ignored. The person in power who has the ability to punish can also be safely ignored UNTIL he/she actually carries out the punishment.
No. From the IR page:
"We try to make the rules very basic and very strict[/i][/u], in order to prevent people from "gaming the system". That means that there are usually no exceptions." (emphasis mine)

Very strict. No exceptions. Touch the IRs and you are !@#$ed. You should tremble in fear at the idea of accidentally violating an IR.

It is the education of masses on their IRs that is needed here. If everyone knew their rights and stood up for it there wouldn't need to be anyone not wanting to risk punishment when they KNOW the punishment against the offender is even greater. Newbies will learn in time. Oldies can stand up for them or make a report on their behalf in the meantime. If no one does then you're in a sucky realm  ::).

I am an economist of the conservative variety: I believe in markets and in market solutions. You are proposing a market-based solution to IRs. It's interesting.

It is also not how Tom as decided Battlemaster should be run. New players should not have to stand up for their IRs. Old players should not have to constantly police each other for IR violations. That's the point of the Titans, and now the Magistrates. You think there's a violation, you toss it up here, we decide: our job is not to scrap the very system within which we act. Our job is to enforce it.

I'm starting to guess that the current 'marker' for Titan action to be taken is when punishment is threatened. Because punishment as explained above can also be implied I'm suggesting that the marker be moved to when punishment is actually meted out. A simple shifting of the marker but clearly defines the impingement from the violation.

No. It isn't about punishment. It's about Inalienable Rights. You just don't mess with them. And, frankly, if you think that orders like "move out at sunset tomorrow" are problematic under this framework: report it. You know you'll find? The Magistrates disagree. Orders like that are reasonable.

You know why it works?

Because we're not trying to establish a statutory legal system! We're trying to judge individual cases! We believe that requiring daily reporting of civil work with a threat of punishment for failure is an issue deserving of a warning. We believe that giving orders to move with the army is not. We don't have to come up with an over-arching theory to explain them both. Surprise!

You've proposed a massive education plan, entirely new terminology for types of IR violations, rewriting of the IRs themselves, and a fundamental revision of how their meaning has always been interpreted by previous BM authorities.

Do you actually have anything to say about the case itself?
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48: August 18, 2011, 08:43:24 PM »
While I wholeheartedly agree with you, Tim, on the case at hand, I do feel it's worth pointing out that Fury is a Magistrate, and you are not. So actually what Fury thinks about it really does matter and, in this particular court, my understanding is that he's got a wee bit more right to decide what is "up for discussion" than you do.

No, because the rules themselves were written by Tom, and he is a higher authority than all of us put together.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Vellos

• Honourable King
  • Stodgy Old Man in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #49: August 18, 2011, 09:32:14 PM »
No, because the rules themselves were written by Tom, and he is a higher authority than all of us put together.

I wholeheartedly agree; but you are not Tom. I think you're right on this issue, but, unless/until Tom speaks, Fury is a Magistrate, and you aren't. Presumably if Tom completely disagrees with our decisions he'd intervene. But, as is, it looks like it's 4-1 with Fury in the minority.
"A neutral humanism is either a pedantic artifice or a prologue to the inhuman." - George Steiner

Fury

« Reply #50: August 18, 2011, 11:39:27 PM »
Nowhere on the IR wiki page does it say that only punishing people who exercise their IR is a violation.  Nowhere does it even suggest it.
It does not. What it does is link IG punishment with Titan action. If it is meant to encompass the whole gamut of situations where even talking about it in a manner that even touches on IR will lead to Titan action then simply add the word threatened to a single line in that text.

To repeat:
  • The part about contacting the Titans if you're punished is clear. Everything else seems to be guidelines on how to act concerning IRs.
  • If we Magistrates are of the view that messages (and therefore threats) should lead to official Magistrate action then it should be rephrased as If you are fined, banned, punished or otherwise threatened...

The existing wording is fine; maybe another sentence should be added clarifying that even sending messages suggesting the violation of IRs is a violation of said IRs.
No need for a sentence when a single word will do it.

A simple solution that clears all doubt. However, my stand is that threats would not violate the IR unless actually carried out for reasons I've already mentioned. If it came down to a vote on it I would vote not to add it in.

This is not up for discussion, either.
IIRC the creation of this courthouse is due to the unhappiness over the perceived arbitrary Titan judgements in the past and a lack of possible discussion over the issue. Certainly it is up for discussion and not just by the Magistrates but by everyone. Then the Magistrates will make a judgement with perhaps some clarification.

What part of "inalienable" do you not understand?
No noble can forfeit their right to go to tournaments.
The part where you can find an alien in able?
By renouncing or waiving their right to complain?

It is an inalienable right, which means it is yours no matter what.  Someone offers you gold not to go to the tournament? Take the gold and go anyway.  Or take the gold and report them anyway.  You have not given up any rights.
Edward VIII's right to rule was his inalienable right as the successor to the throne until he voluntarily renounced the throne. If you accept the gold I would take it as you having voluntarily given up your right to complain about your IR being violated. Unless we are condoning OOC nastiness in accepting the gold and then making a report? I would not but apparently standards do differ.

...Though he's obviously wrong in this case.
I think that's a stupid distinction, and one you've invented to try and cover what is obviously a losing position.
I would like to remind my fellow Magistrates that this is now not just the forum but the courthouse and proper decorum should be observed and making a judgement call when no vote has yet been conducted is improper and even then the correct term would be differ rather than wrong. As for casting of aspersions - pure impropriety.

Oh and, by the way:
http://thesaurus.com/browse/impinge
Impinge and violate are synonyms.
Glad we're using the same Thesaurus. It makes it easier to point out the note in that link:
to impinge is to come into contact or encroach or have an impact;

In reference to the IR I take it to mean to impinge is to touch the surface of the IR or to encroach upon its borders where a warning is sufficient to alert the offender to back off lest he/she moves in too far or at least have them understand where they are headed whereas a violation gives the idea that someone has gone too far.

Just as a Judge is also a synonym for Magistrate but they convey and actually have different levels of authority.

Giving orders to move "next turn" is fundamentally different
No it's not. It also necessitates a certain pace of play which goes against playing at your own speed, timing and activity level.

Requests or orders from a position of power have implicit punishments.
Which is what I said and why would it be a problem to WAIT until IG punishment has occured before making a report? Wouldn't it be in the better interests of the victim to wait and then:
  • Get their IG punishment reversed?
  • Get the perpetrator booted out?

You should tremble in fear at the idea of accidentally violating an IR.
You should not. Unless you were violating it on purpose.

It is also [1]not how Tom as decided Battlemaster should be run. [2]New players should not have to stand up for their IRs. [3]Old players should not have to constantly police each other for IR violations. That's the point of the Titans, and now the Magistrates. You think there's a violation, you toss it up here, we decide: [4]our job is not to scrap the very system within which we act. Our job is to enforce it.
[1] We are talking about the IR and that wiki document needs to be clarified and condensed, leaving out extraneous detail or putting it in another page under "How to Act" perhaps.

[2] Then no one will ever stand up for them.

[3] This is currently the practice and is available to everyone, new or old. Without "policing" as in watching out for - there will be no reports.

[4] I am not proposing scrapping but clarifying and to first enforce it we must first understand it.

No. It isn't about punishment. It's about Inalienable Rights.
I am talking about 'markers' to simplify matters. And to move it a bit further then where it is now to let official punishment be perhaps more justified and deserving. And has been said, there is no reason not to wait until IG punishment has actually been meted out.

You know you'll find? The Magistrates disagree.
We believe that requiring daily reporting of civil work with a threat of punishment for failure is an issue deserving of a warning.
We believe that giving orders to move with the army is not.
No, we do not - not yet, and to say so is a misrepresentation.

You've proposed a massive education plan, entirely new terminology for types of IR violations, rewriting of the IRs themselves, and a fundamental revision of how their meaning has always been interpreted by previous BM authorities.
A simple link to the IR wiki page IG as requested by Shizzle should be enough awareness as long as it's clear when official punishment/warning will occur. Impinge and violate would simply define warnings and punishment. The Titan link is still in-game. Let's see how the courthouse works out.

Do you actually have anything to say about the case itself?
I do and have already but to summarize:

Warn Balewin that his letters impinges upon James Marshall's IR to play at his own speed, timing and activity level and may lead to a violation should IG punishment be meted out to James Marshall's character upon which the Magistrates will lock Balewin's account for between one to three days. Further action may also be taken by a higher authority.

I have no problem with enforcing the IR the way it is envisioned by Tom but until it is clarified whether threats alone is enough for a Magistrate  to take action I will continue to provide my views. I have also no problem with being replaced as a Magistrate at any time for any reason or even none at all.

James

• BM Dev Team
  • Mighty Duke
  • WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51: August 19, 2011, 12:41:07 AM »
Just as a pointer on this... James Marshall (that would be me) actually has the character that is the judge in the realm of the character this complaint is about, so is fully aware that he would never have been fined for this, and nor would any of the other players.

As a player who has been here for a very very very long time though, I am aware of my rights and know what I can and cannot be ordered to do (or to not do). Newer players however may not be aware of this, and that is why there is the problem as, as others have stated, they may change their playing style (or leave the game) because they think they will be in trouble if they don't. That is where the problem is and why IRs should be kept as far away from as possible.
WARNING: Outer Tilog is different...

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52: August 19, 2011, 04:30:07 PM »
In reference to the IR I take it to mean to impinge is to touch the surface of the IR or to encroach upon its borders where a warning is sufficient to alert the offender to back off lest he/she moves in too far or at least have them understand where they are headed whereas a violation gives the idea that someone has gone too far.
There is no such distinction with the Inalienable Rights. You have either broken the IR, which requires punishment, or you have not, and no such punishment is warranted. There is no such thing as "encroaching on its borders". That's weasel-wording, and rules lawyering.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #53: August 19, 2011, 06:51:35 PM »
Edward VIII's right to rule was his inalienable right as the successor to the throne until he voluntarily renounced the throne. If you accept the gold I would take it as you having voluntarily given up your right to complain about your IR being violated. Unless we are condoning OOC nastiness in accepting the gold and then making a report? I would not but apparently standards do differ.

I'm here as well.  The last thing I ever want to see is people being encouraged to mix IC and OOC actions and motivation any more than they already do.

Though to be perfectly fair, I've never been a big fan of the IR, as written.  I've always been more of the opinion that Loren has- you have a perceived right violated in the game? Deal with it in the game. Blacklist people. Leave the realm. Fight back. Oust them in a vote. Hire a hit. Protest. Rebel.  Hell, there's more options to show how you voice your displeasure and complain than there is anything else in the entire game.  People need to be encouraged to deal with things inside the mechanics unless there's a clear, repeated violation because Joe Dirtbag needs to find a new game to play. We shouldn't be enabling people to go tattle to big brother just because their feelings get hurt. Screw being PC.  Titan/Magistrate complaints should be a last resort, not a first option.

If the accidental/incidental infractions were dealt with in the game, I think the players/characters would police themselves. Strict, hardcore realms with jerks for leaders would die out or be overthrown. Open, freer realms would expand in population and have just cause for invading the jerks who ran them off.  People would learn. And there wouldn't be the incidents of "I feel really bad about this, but the rules say this guy needs to get locked for a day. I know he didn't mean it though."

All of that said, I've always supported enforcing the IR, not because I approved of it, but because it's Tom's vision for the game. But vision can change, given some gentle nudging.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54: August 19, 2011, 07:39:41 PM »
I'm here as well.  The last thing I ever want to see is people being encouraged to mix IC and OOC actions and motivation any more than they already do.
I tend to agree. IMO, Anaris' scenario of accepting the bribe and then reporting the player is OOC underhanded.

Though to be perfectly fair, I've never been a big fan of the IR, as written.  I've always been more of the opinion that Loren has- you have a perceived right violated in the game? Deal with it in the game.
This is not truly possible with the Inalienable Rights. They are OOC rights, not IC rights. Nobles don't have a right to "play at their own pace". Players do. And the rights are directed at the players.

People need to be encouraged to deal with things inside the mechanics unless there's a clear, repeated violation because Joe Dirtbag needs to find a new game to play. We shouldn't be enabling people to go tattle to big brother just because their feelings get hurt. Screw being PC.  Titan/Magistrate complaints should be a last resort, not a first option.
When it comes to IR and Social Contract violations, I strongly disagree.

The major problem of players only taking action for repeated violations is that these violations may not happen with the same characters. For example, a player with five characters. If he breaks an IR once every three months, but with a different character each time, you may not see that second violation until 12-15 months later. Is one hint that nobles shouldn't go to tournaments during a war frequent enough for you to bother reporting? What if you send that player an OOC and say "Hey, don't do that, it's an IR", and he responds "Wups, my bad", then does it three months later in another realm you're not in? And would your actions change if you knew that player did the same thing 4 or 5 times in that 12-15 month period?

Random players cannot track trends across multiple characters and multiple islands. That's why each and every instance of an IR violation needs to be reported. The Titans/Magistrates can step in and squash it before it becomes a trend.

If the accidental/incidental infractions were dealt with in the game, I think the players/characters would police themselves.
I'm all for IG conflict resolution, wherever possible. But only for IG/IC conflicts. IRs are NOT IC rules. They should not be resolved IC. They should be handled as swiftly as possible in an OOC manner. It's the player that needs correcting, not the character.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55: August 19, 2011, 07:58:46 PM »
I'm all for IG conflict resolution, wherever possible. But only for IG/IC conflicts. IRs are NOT IC rules. They should not be resolved IC. They should be handled as swiftly as possible in an OOC manner. It's the player that needs correcting, not the character.

Indeed. As then you risk that player having a clique of OOC friends who will back him no matter what against anyone else, even if they realize what he's doing isn't right (which they may not even).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

egamma

« Reply #56: August 19, 2011, 08:32:04 PM »
Since we're all quoting chunks of the IR page, let me do some quoting of my own:

How should someone in a position of power treat these rights? By acknowledging and moving on. Almost all long-winded texts are just sophisticated attempts to circumvent them. The basic rule is: Just shut up and stay 100 feet away from any and all inalienable rights, no matter how well-meaning you are. Some of the worst events of both human history and in BattleMaster were done by people with good intentions.

The inalienable rights are defended with extreme prejudice. There's one simple reason for that: The second they were opened up to discussion, interpretation, exceptions, borderline cases, etc. the lawyer-weasels and others who get a thrill out of gaming the system would invade like locusts.

Absolutely no violations of inalienable rights will be tolerated, no matter how minor or inconsequential. Absolutely no interpretations will turn a violation into a non-violation. Absolutely no "I didn't mean it" apologies will prevent the punishment - if you are the guilty party, consider it a lesson for next time and a reassurance that you yourself will be equally aggressively defended should someone else attack your inalienable rights.

The absolute harshest punishments are reserved for those who try to "weasel around" the rights, by using standard lawyer-speech, creative interpretations or such tools. Obvious attempts of this kind do lead to immediate account terminations with no prior warning.

I like how the defendant doesn't attempt to weasel out of things.

The proper way to write the order--if it must be given at all-- would be to say "send me reports of the civil work you do, when you do it".
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 08:34:34 PM by egamma »

Morningstar

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57: August 19, 2011, 08:47:59 PM »
I had a sizable response here, but I decided it's not the place for this discussion, so I'll defer.  Perhaps another time.  Suffice it to say that where there's regulation and entitlement implemented together, you have increased senses of entitlement and the need for greater regulation.  Empower and train people to take action on their own, without big brother's oversight, and they will.  This game has always been a social experiment, and this is no different. It mirrors what's going on in the world quite well.

Gustav Kuriga

« Reply #58: August 19, 2011, 08:49:28 PM »
Indeed. As then you risk that player having a clique of OOC friends who will back him no matter what against anyone else, even if they realize what he's doing isn't right (which they may not even).

Oh god, the "evil" ooc cliques. They're everywhere, you have to watch out for them or they'll get you! Give me a break. I'm more worried about the IC cliques than the OOC ones. I might just start calling the Cagilan Empire the Cagilan Hegemony just to represent one such IC clique. You even poke Tara, Coria, or CE, and you have the whole shebang gangbanging your sorry ass. I'd much rather fight against my OOC friends than form an unstoppable superalliance with my friends. They make good competition. But this is talking of threats of reprimand due to playing speed, so I will move on to that.

A point I would like to make, the game in and of itself violates IR by autopausing those who do not login after a certain amount of time. Shall we go punishing the devs for coding such a feature into the game? I do love hypocrisy. I'm not saying that autopausing is wrong, just that it violates the very IR we are speaking of.

I also agree with Fury. I am reading the IR as I type this, and it says nothing about Titan powers being used against those who give orders to report everyday or something to that degree. It only says "If you are fined, banned or otherwise punished for "inactivity", or for not having been online at any specific time or day, the Titans will be very happy to counter, so please contact them with information.". So the Titan/Magistrates only come in after the punishment, not before, according to this.

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
« Reply #59: August 19, 2011, 09:06:43 PM »
I haven't read all replies because I am still on holiday with limited Internet access. But on the subject in question:

The text as it is is an IR violation.
A simple change can fix it, however. A request or order that says: "report in every day, if you logged in that day" or "...unless you didn't log in" or some other such wording that makes it clear that not reporting for OOC reasons or inactivity is fine.

The fine line here is that IC it is totally ok to require regulary reporting-in, though personally I would object IC that I'm a noble, not a soldier and if the general thinks he can command me around instead of being thankful I lend my troops to his war, he can try winning it by himself. But that's not the matter here.

So the IC request to report in is not an IR violation - as long as it makes it clear that OOC reasons for not reporting in will, of course, be respected.