Author Topic: Threats of reprimand due to playing speed  (Read 40063 times)

Tom

• BM Dev Team
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
    • BattleMaster
Re: Threats of reprimand due to playing speed
« Reply #75: August 21, 2011, 09:03:01 PM »
And no - sending a (warning) message is NOT an action.

I take responsibility for that misunderstanding.

This is where I think we should make a difference between threats or other words and actions.

The wording on the IR page was written with actual actions in mind. So if someone was banned, fined, demoted or otherwise has had any in-game action taken against him, then those words should hold true.

But if the guilty party stops and retracts his words before any actions, we should honour their insight and willingness to admit a mistake. So, for example, if someone posts "don't go to that tournament, we need you in the war!" to the realm channel, and someone else points out "hey, that's an IR, you can't stop us!" and the first one follows up saying "oops, my bad. Forget what I said." - I don't think we should punish him. Of course, there are always border cases, like the same guy constantly trying to get away with IR violations and always retracting them when called up, to avoid punishment - those are the grey areas we have the Magistrates for.

Basically, we don't want to punish well-meaning people who made a mistake. A warning would be adequate in those cases, because it serves to clarify that issue.