Author Topic: Dwilight Character Limit  (Read 16429 times)

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
Dwilight Character Limit
« Topic Start: March 05, 2011, 12:44:10 AM »
Ok. I no this is not likely to work, but I am going to give a solid whinge.

Why are we only allowed one character on Dwilight anyway? It's the biggest continent we have. It is also underpopulated. Can we stop the characters from being in the same realm on Dwilight? That's fine with me, I just want to have more characters in Dwilight. IT IS AN AWESOME ISLAND! :D

Anyone else feel this way?
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

Igelfeld

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight Character Limit
« Reply #1: March 05, 2011, 01:46:37 AM »
Yes, but the likelihood of this changing is very low as the implications to the other islands would be quite significant.

Just think about it, everyone who wants more than one noble in dwilight would have to pull that noble from some other island, personally you would be seeing one less Igelfeld on Atamara. If a lot of the players would do likewise, the sudden drop in numbers would cause realms to collapse. 
Moritz Von Igelfeld - King of Asylon
Moria Von Igelfeld - Viscountess of Lanston
Ulrich Von Igelfeld - Knight of Remton, Dark Isle Colonist

Shenron

• Noble Lord
  • Come and play people ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 05, 2011, 02:48:28 AM »
Collapse would be good on Atamara imho.

But still, if players would prefer to have more characters on Dwilight than keep characters in Atamara, why should this be prevented? If Atamara loses players, then the ruling class should get shaken up a bit (where is dominic when you need him).
My language: (Apologies for any confusion this results in.)
Awesome = Ossim
Tom = Tarm

egamma

« Reply #3: March 05, 2011, 05:00:30 AM »
Personally, I'd like to see a single-character limit put in place on the other continents, with the same advy exception that Dwilight has. That will encourage some players to put characters on Dwilight.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 05, 2011, 08:52:20 PM »
Personally, I'd like to see a single-character limit put in place on the other continents, with the same advy exception that Dwilight has. That will encourage some players to put characters on Dwilight.

What he said.

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 05, 2011, 10:46:16 PM »
agreed, 1 character limit on all islands would be interesting. I maintain that one of the reason Dwilight IS fun is the low noble count to the land available, and the complete absence of the quiet 2nd characters who's only job is to prop up realm control.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 05, 2011, 10:59:59 PM »
A lot of the islands are already suffering because there aren't enough nobles around to do interesting stuff like starting a colony. Lets not try to make matters worse by reducing the noble population further?
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Sacha

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 06, 2011, 12:54:43 AM »
It wouldn't alter the numbers that much. Those characters who are forced to move would be replaced to some extent by those who are forced to move from other islands.

WarMaid

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 06, 2011, 01:08:39 PM »

The difference here is that Dwilight began with a one character limit so no one has ever been forced to choose which one of their long-standing, developed characters they'd have to move to some other place.

We've gone round about this issue on the D-list a bunch of times.  Not every instance of two characters on an island are "second" quiet characters, realm control robots, or power props.  And there are /a lot/ of instances of Families having two characters per island.
Kindon Family

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: March 06, 2011, 04:30:08 PM »
It's worth noting that there is precedent for this.

There was a time when most islands had no character limit, and you could have all three of your characters on a single continent.  This was changed, with a period where you couldn't create new characters there if you already had two, and finally a date where everyone had to move their third characters or delete them.

It wouldn't be popular, to be sure, but it could be done.  Indeed, with the new family system you wouldn't even have to move or delete: you could move or pause, and if you wanted to switch back and forth between characters every so often, and keep them on the same continent, you could do that.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #10: March 06, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »
There are 6 continents, and the max number of characters is 5. I get that one doesn't have the right to play where he wants, but at least it seems a bit more reasonable to provide the option of doubling up somewhere. I think the discussion list has exhausted many angles already, and I'm not interested in debating the kaleidoscope of issues involved.

As for Dwilight, we already got the new ability to play a noble and an adventurer. Before it was just one character. Surely we should celebrate the small gains we make rather than make wishes for things that might cause unintended consequences like open talks about restricting other continents?

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: March 06, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »
There are 6 continents, and the max number of characters is 5. I get that one doesn't have the right to play where he wants, but at least it seems a bit more reasonable to provide the option of doubling up somewhere. I think the discussion list has exhausted many angles already, and I'm not interested in debating the kaleidoscope of issues involved.

As for Dwilight, we already got the new ability to play a noble and an adventurer. Before it was just one character. Surely we should celebrate the small gains we make rather than make wishes for things that might cause unintended consequences like open talks about restricting other continents?

The suggestion has been to make all continents like Dwilight, if I've read it correctly.  One noble, one advy active max per continent.

And very few people can have 5 characters.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

DoctorHarte

• Mighty Duke
  • Stoned on BattleMaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: March 06, 2011, 06:12:29 PM »
And very few people can have 5 characters.

Another 9 months and I'll be rocking 5 characters :D

Anyways I think the problem here is that BattleMaster doesn't have enough players rather than characters. All the more reason to develop a better program for teaching new players how to play this complex game.
New Harte Family: Eros (Vix Tiramora, EC), Nyx (Fronen, BT), Chance (Avernus, DW), Scopuli (Gothica, Colonies)

Old Harte Family: Hyperion (Aurvandil, DW), William (IVF, BT), Katrina (Fronen, BT), Callandor II (Ohnar West, FE)

songqu88@gmail.com

« Reply #13: March 06, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »
We already have tutorials, and even a graphical one from the moment a new player signs up. Even with all the added complexities, for most new players, the standard set of actions remains to get an oath, set the estate, get a unit, set their behavior, and move places. Anything beyond that is really up to the player to find out.

It might happen that some players on't find that much interest and don't look further, but it is also time-consuming and difficult to provide in-depth lessons. It is also hard to make them have any flavor as a mentor and not seem like textbook passages. But when we think about it, this game is about fighting each other so at the core, what we primarily do is in fact recruit units and move around to beat other realms. The rest is more or less embellishment which adds some deeper complexity to the fighting.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: March 06, 2011, 06:55:20 PM »
One reason we lose people is they expect instant action—or instant chat.  I've seen new people send a message and leave 5 minutes later.
Timothy Collett