Author Topic: Dwilight Character Limit  (Read 16428 times)

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
Re: Dwilight Character Limit
« Reply #30: March 08, 2011, 10:05:28 AM »
Colonies are a risk. It is rare that a realm ever has such a glut of nobles that they can spare those needed for a colony AND maintain the regions left behind. In my opinion that is why they aren't attempted more often. The player base seems so risk adverse. So many times I see a possible war go on the back burner, cause the realm decides they can't win. No one colonises or expands because they don't have the nobles, yet without dynamic and exciting actions like that it is unlikely they will ever attract the nobles needed for their plans. Look at Arcaea, it is powerful now, but that road to power saw it almost destroyed several times, and even now we walk a delicate line of ensuring the diplomatic support from other realms while pursuing our wars. A colony effort is now underway, which will no doubt result in Arcaea lacking the nobles to effectively control all their regions, and also weakening their numerical advantage against those realms that are hostile to Arcaean goals. More risks like this are needed if we truly want to see dynamic continents.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31: March 08, 2011, 10:23:54 AM »
Colonies are difficult by definition, not just because of player under abundance. Was there a rapid move of colonies in 06? When Atamara was teeming with players. No. No there wasn't. There is nothing about having too much players that encourages colonies unless certain players make it so.

Well, yes, of course. I'm just saying that only having the bare minimum amount of nobles to barely hold onto control of things doesn't exactly encourage it.

You know a change that would cause realms to naturally disintegrate.... I do! Reduce the number of players to a point where there is not enough nobles to support realms, and they will collapse, then we will have true change in Atamara  8)

Lol. Well, yes. Obviously.
"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #32: March 09, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »
I'd say this thread has gotten quite a bit off topic. I'd suggest moving the whole "enough nobles to found a colony" discussion to a new thread somewhere that dealt with the problems we're seeing with the diminished player base since that really is a valid discussion to have at this point and it deserves its own thread.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33: March 09, 2011, 02:20:22 PM »
Colonies and "Enough nobles" has been split off and moved to General Discussion.

http://forum.battlemaster.org/index.php/topic,151.0.html
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.