Author Topic: Open Votes  (Read 7871 times)

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
Open Votes
« Topic Start: August 19, 2011, 01:41:23 AM »
I have come across the problem of wanting to be able to see what each person has voted, but not wanting to have the last person who votes be able to decide the result if the referendum is close. 
There are many optional settings to referendums.  Would it be possible to have the option of making a referendum open or closed referendum.  A closed referendum would be exactly the way it is now.  An open referendum would simply list those who voted each in the results.

Fleugs

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Open Votes
« Reply #1: August 19, 2011, 02:02:25 AM »
I think the point of the voting system is that is anonymous, so I don't believe this stands much chance... Although it would make voting a lot more interesting.  ;)
Ardet nec consumitur.

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: August 19, 2011, 02:05:15 AM »
Before the referendum system existed, Riombara used to hold votes on most issues of importance.

Everyone would send their vote to the Judge—it could be private or public, at the discretion of the individual noble.

This could be used to achieve what you want.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Shizzle

• Mighty Duke
  • Skyndarbau, Yusklin, Yarvik, Werend and Kayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 19, 2011, 12:17:44 PM »
I would like exactly the opposite though: votes where only the result is shared, and not the vote quantities. E.g unanimous, passed, rejected or absolute tie.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 03:33:14 PM by Shizzle »

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 19, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »
or do it the old dodgy madina way

lord collects vote of his knights and then decide how he votes his votes. then bung it up to the duke.. who then bungs it up to the judge (or some such) all done manually.. and most never bothered.. XD
firefox

cjnodell

« Reply #5: August 19, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »
I personally would like to see open votes an option for both game generated referendums and those initiated by players. For example, I could see a republic choosing a representative system of voting but wanting the vote to be open so as to hold the senators accountable. Or not. More choice is a good thing in my mind. I am curious to know how many historical democracies or republics kept the votes of it's representatives private... I am betting that there were few of them.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: August 19, 2011, 03:39:39 PM »
I would like to see more voting options altogether. Things like Prestige voting in particular would be good. Options for different styles of Open voting would be interesting, too. More ways for realms to differentiate themselves are always good, I think.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

egamma

« Reply #7: August 19, 2011, 03:50:56 PM »
I would like to see more voting options altogether. Things like Prestige voting in particular would be good. Options for different styles of Open voting would be interesting, too. More ways for realms to differentiate themselves are always good, I think.

We used to have prestige voting--what happened to it? That was before I started, but I think it was on the wiki and/or help page for years.

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: August 19, 2011, 03:53:15 PM »
Prestige voting disappeared when the new Referendum voting system was put into place. I've always considered this one of the few downsides of the Referendum system, which I otherwise think is much superior to the old system.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 19, 2011, 07:51:14 PM »
Prestige voting disappeared when the new Referendum voting system was put into place. I've always considered this one of the few downsides of the Referendum system, which I otherwise think is much superior to the old system.

Would it really be that hard to bring back? The system already looks capable of weighting votes on some variables (like number of vassals).
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10: August 20, 2011, 03:28:48 AM »
More options sounds like a great idea.  I had never thought of the prestige voting.  Choices are a good thing, you could also choose who would get to see the results, perhaps just making the results available to the person starting the referendum, council, lords, etc.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 20, 2011, 03:37:43 AM »
More options sounds like a great idea.  I had never thought of the prestige voting.  Choices are a good thing, you could also choose who would get to see the results, perhaps just making the results available to the person starting the referendum, council, lords, etc.

I would like a system that sets weight according to the number of men you (or your region or duchy) command. :P
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Charles

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12: August 20, 2011, 05:07:22 AM »
According to CS!  That would be quite realistic actually.  Especially if you count the apparent CS after modifications. 

vonGenf

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 20, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
I would like a system that sets weight according to the number of men you (or your region or duchy) command. :P

Isn't that called "Rebellion voting"?
After all it's a roleplaying game.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14: August 20, 2011, 01:42:55 PM »
Isn't that called "Rebellion voting"?

Yes, but institutionalized.  8)