Author Topic: Veinsormoot (Split from Luria Nova thread)  (Read 57796 times)

Indirik

• Exalted Emperor
  • No pressure, no diamonds.
    • View Profile
Re: Veinsormoot (Split from Luria Nova thread)
« Reply #15: August 19, 2011, 08:58:12 PM »
Also, like the EU, while it is not necessary for foreign bodies to contact it, it certainly makes things easier for everyone involved.
Everyone except those foreign powers, that is. Because they have no way of knowing who's in it, who's in charge of anything, and generally no easy way to do so, except to go there, unless they happen to have a prior contact.
If at first you don't succeed, don't take up skydiving.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16: August 19, 2011, 10:41:07 PM »
This surprises me. The Véinsørmoot is on the wiki, as is the Treaty of the Maroccidens. Its all public information, and I know for a fact that I went parading around Pian en Luries a year or so ago telling everyone about all the shiny guilds in Chesney, and devoted at least a few paragraphs to the Véinsørmoot. If Koli's spies are truly so thick as to not even listen to the news-criers in Paisly, or pay attention to the fact that D'Hara is obviously in a strong alliance with Barca and Terran, or hasn't paid any attention to the unity of Barca, Terran, or D'Hara on foreign policy (like the Madinan Civil War, for example) in the past then, truly, Lurian spies are not very good. For so intrigue-ridden a place, I would have expected better.

Nothing about the Véinsørmoot is secret, and the treaties are all publicly viewable on the wiki. As a fairly big document governing a fairly large part of Dwilight, I'd expect some of Koli's advisors and policy wonks to have noticed it.

You would be wrong on all fronts.  Koli doesn't have any foreign spies.  Lurian intrigues are so inwardly focused that Fissoa is barely on the radar for them.  Not a single one of Koli's close advisers has any more time in realm than he has, and he's been singlemindedly focused on trying (somewhat unsuccessfully, sigh) to stop the unending Lurian civil wars that he paid no attention to foreign happenings until PN revolted.  He's certainly not aware of anything the 'moot or anyone in it did regarding the Madinan civil war.

Luria is insular.  Koli wants to change that, but there's too many domestic troubles to deal with first.  Now that Hireshmont's contacted him, of course, he's got scribes scouring all the records they have and he's learning more, but expecting anyone in a different region to know what's going on is...Inaccurate.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #17: August 20, 2011, 12:39:25 AM »
Luria is insular.  Koli wants to change that, but there's too many domestic troubles to deal with first.  Now that Hireshmont's contacted him, of course, he's got scribes scouring all the records they have and he's learning more, but expecting anyone in a different region to know what's going on is...Inaccurate.

This is so sad and so true.  We don't know anything about Fissoa, 90% of the realm has no real opinion of anything in the East... it's very parochial, else why would we have a tradition of depositions?  There is a lot of self loathing in PeL.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:41:13 AM by Solari »

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18: August 20, 2011, 12:52:15 AM »
This is so sad and so true.  We don't know anything about Fissoa, 90% of the realm has no real opinion of anything in the East... it's very parochial, else why would we have a tradition of depositions?  There is a lot of self loathing in PeL.

Insular realms usually don't go making wild threats to their far-off neighbours about forcing a religion upon them and having them abandon their claims to half their land.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19: August 20, 2011, 01:04:26 AM »
Insular realms usually don't go making wild threats to their far-off neighbours about forcing a religion upon them and having them abandon their claims to half their land.

Wasn't the deposed King who did that? Look what he got for it...
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20: August 20, 2011, 03:02:47 AM »
Wasn't the deposed King who did that? Look what he got for it...

I doubt *that* caused what followed.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21: August 20, 2011, 03:09:47 AM »
I doubt *that* caused what followed.

Indeed. It will most likely happen more and more often as we purge our own Empire heretics, such as JPierreD, and start our Continental Crusades :D
To be True, you must first be Loyal.
Count Ramiel Avis, Marshal of the Crusaders of the Path from Pian en Luries

Glaumring the Fox

• Honourable King
  • Nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #22: August 20, 2011, 04:06:36 AM »
I have mentioned the need for the nobles of Asylon to travel to Chesney to join guilds there, but none have had any time. I am the only noble that has physically left Asylon since its founding, and that was a trip to Farrowfield to waste my time in silence and then again to Terran to join guilds which was enjoyable.

I have always taken Asylons place in the moot as one of observer, thats why I have never really pushed it in Asylon or established a guildhall there because the moot was supposed to be about Marrociddens, and Asylon is Messocidden so we weren't allowed a voice in the moot. I enjoy and would highly advise others to join the moot, and perhaps when I have time shall establish a moot in Asylon.

Ps: I am still waiting for a certain Senator of Terran to establish the Cult of Bloodmoon guildhall!!!
We live lives in beautiful lies...

JPierreD

• Mighty Duke
  • Hippiemancer Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23: August 20, 2011, 04:39:14 AM »
Indeed. It will most likely happen more and more often as we purge our own Empire heretics, such as JPierreD, and start our Continental Crusades :D

Pff, you atheist bunch don't scare me.  :P
d'Arricarrère Family: Torpius (All around Dwilight), Felicie (Riombara), Frederic (Riombara) and Luc (Eponllyn).

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #24: August 20, 2011, 04:54:53 AM »

Yes, because immediate neighbors are "far off", three regions which D'hara hadn't held in years (as the letter was sent before Qubel got reclaimed) is really the same as "half their land", and "forcing" a religion on a realm that supposedly has an open religious policy as part of what was obviously intended to be a high opening to a bargaining session as the second letter on the subject made perfectly clear is precisely like what you said.

Or, you know, not.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #25: August 20, 2011, 05:02:54 AM »
Yes, because immediate neighbors are "far off", three regions which D'hara hadn't held in years (as the letter was sent before Qubel got reclaimed) is really the same as "half their land", and "forcing" a religion on a realm that supposedly has an open religious policy as part of what was obviously intended to be a high opening to a bargaining session as the second letter on the subject made perfectly clear is precisely like what you said.

Or, you know, not.

Years? No, not years. And Pian en Luries' former ruler had agreed to our claim to Desert of Silouhettes.

And you don't negotiate with something that is obviously not yours and which you can't even keep anyways. It's trying to make a hostage of Port Nebel. But it's been revolting for a few days, and will clearly revolt from Luria Nova any minute now. Did you seriously expext D'Hara would make any kinds of concessions whatsoever?

Now that they revolted to Luria Nova, they now hate it, and will never revolt to it again.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #26: August 20, 2011, 05:09:01 AM »
Years? No, not years. And Pian en Luries' former ruler had agreed to our claim to Desert of Silouhettes.

And you don't negotiate with something that is obviously not yours and which you can't even keep anyways. It's trying to make a hostage of Port Nebel. But it's been revolting for a few days, and will clearly revolt from Luria Nova any minute now. Did you seriously expext D'Hara would make any kinds of concessions whatsoever?

Now that they revolted to Luria Nova, they now hate it, and will never revolt to it again.

And when was the last time D'hara held the Lighthouse, much less Sallowtown, then?  I'm curious.

As to whether I actually thought we would get any concessions...I rather doubted it.  That wasn't the point of the exercise, at least for Koli.  I can't speak as to what Amaury expected.

Sure, they'll hate Luria Nova.  What's your point?

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #27: August 20, 2011, 06:01:37 AM »
Pfft.. I just hope Koli is ready to be all diplomatic to Dhara in a few weeks time :D

Perth

• Honourable King
  • Current Character: Kemen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28: August 20, 2011, 12:12:36 PM »
Psssshhh...

Who would expect the Lurians to know anything about the Véinsørmoot or other complex political matters in the Maroccidens or elsewhere? They're little more than a bunch of barbarians who can't hardly agree for more than 20 minutes on what to have for dinner before they begin stabbing one another. They're like a big tribe of inbred, infighting clansmen.

"A tale is but half told when only one person tells it." - The Saga of Grettir the Strong
- Current: Kemen (D'hara) - Past: Kerwin (Eston), Kale (Phantaria, Terran, Melodia)

Ramiel

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #29: August 20, 2011, 01:03:13 PM »
Psssshhh...

Who would expect the Lurians to know anything about the Véinsørmoot or other complex political matters in the Maroccidens or elsewhere? They're little more than a bunch of barbarians who can't hardly agree for more than 20 minutes on what to have for dinner before they begin stabbing one another. They're like a big tribe of inbred, infighting clansmen.

And just for that I shall be planning the Third Crusade to wipe out all of D'hara -.-