Author Topic: Solaria  (Read 1400 times)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Solaria
« Topic Start: December 14, 2011, 10:15:05 PM »
For public record, a copy of Arbiter Malus' recent speechifying on the inception of Solaria:

"It's probably time I write a formal statement, so let me start by saying this: I don't care very much for formalities, so we're doing away with some of them. Respect for institutions and feudal loyalties is central to our ethic, but cluttering up parchment and brains with pretty words should not be.

Why the name? It is not (exclusively) a paean to House Solari. We are the easternmost city of Dwilight. We are the first to rise with the sun, and the first ray of the Lurian Empire. It's appropriate and simple, I think.

What am I aiming to do with Solaria? We will provide grain for Lurian bellies and spears for Lurian borders. In return, we will govern ourselves.  We will become free peoples, and through this agreement our coffers will be full and our armies stronger. This agreement will allow us to eradicate the abominations and fully fund our northern and western expansions.

Councilors are executives, after a fashion. I am trusting them to manage affairs of state, our military and our growth and commerce. A liege and their vassal must be able to rely on Councilors for direction.

Owing to their new responsibilities, lieges will be elevated in standing. There will be only one council for the discussion of military, judicial and commercial matters, with the landed nobility of Solaria being its membership. We must learn to trust one another, and this will be the first gesture.

Knights and Dames shall expect an income sufficient to maintain arms if a warrior or to be justly compensated for service rendered as a courtier, priest, trader or else-wise. You have a right to be heard and fairly represented, and I expect to work out the full details of this with the first Justice.

I will announce more in the future. If you are willing to carve your fortunes out of the wilderness side by side, then welcome to a new opportunity, my lords, ladies and vassals."
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:17:34 PM by Solari »