Author Topic: Wave attack  (Read 7166 times)

Zakilevo

Wave attack
« Topic Start: August 20, 2011, 02:32:46 AM »
I am wondering how wave attacks work.

If I set my men like this:

15inf/FRONT - 15inf/MIDDLE + 15arc/MIDDLE - 15inf/BACK

would it be any better than just a regular setting? (ex: 45inf/FRONT - 15arc/MIDDLE)

Solari

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
Re: Wave attack
« Reply #1: August 20, 2011, 02:54:43 AM »
I am wondering how wave attacks work.

If I set my men like this:

15inf/FRONT - 15inf/MIDDLE + 15arc/MIDDLE - 15inf/BACK

would it be any better than just a regular setting? (ex: 45inf/FRONT - 15arc/MIDDLE)

That is incredibly detailed.  Are you sure you're getting as much out of the combat system by doing that?

Zakilevo

« Reply #2: August 20, 2011, 03:05:11 AM »
I usually use just general settings that everyone uses.

When I order my men to attack,
Inf: Front-Line-Aggressive
Arc: Front-Line-Normal or Middle-Line-Normal
Cav: Back-Wedge-Aggressive or Rear-Wedge-Aggressive

When I defend,
Inf: Front-Box-Defensive
Arc: M-L-D
Cav: B-W-N or R-W-N

but these settings are so boring. Everyone is using some what similar settings. So I am wondering what happens if I use those settings I've mentioned above. But more I think about it, more I feel I will just get all of my men killed in the blink of an eye...

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: August 20, 2011, 03:08:52 AM »
Your men will not survive more than around. Which means they won't get to hit often.

I would not advise for such line settings. Sending some troops ahead of the others can sometimes be desirable, but only to a limited extent and in very particular situations.
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Huntsmaster

• Noble Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: August 20, 2011, 03:14:27 AM »

When I defend,
Inf: Front-Box-Defensive
Arc: M-L-D
Cav: B-W-N or R-W-N

but these settings are so boring. Everyone is using some what similar settings. So I am wondering what happens if I use those settings I've mentioned above. But more I think about it, more I feel I will just get all of my men killed in the blink of an eye...

If everyone you know is using those settings, then they should lose more battles.
Agiri (Carelia) Tinwe (Greater Aenilia) Ayrl (Fissoa) Wyllham (IVF)

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: August 20, 2011, 03:20:02 AM »

Using the same settings for every battle is a terrible idea. I *always* customize my settings according to the enemy army composition *and* formation habits.

Mesh, I think, always used the same formations, as did some of the other westerners when they gang-banged Enweil. Let us defeat them again and again when we otherwise wouldn't have. (number 1 cause of our victories was their utterly horrible strategy and inability to fight in an organized manner, though, adn that until I left for a week of camping at the end of that summer)
Dit donc camarade soleil / Ne trouves-tu ça pas plutôt con / De donner une journée pareil / À un patron

Zakilevo

« Reply #6: August 20, 2011, 04:59:19 AM »
If I am assaulting a fortified region (lv2) would it be stupid to use
Inf: F-B-A
Arc: F-L-N
Cav: B-W-A

??

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: August 20, 2011, 05:07:10 AM »
If I am assaulting a fortified region (lv2) would it be stupid to use
Inf: F-B-A
Arc: F-L-N
Cav: B-W-A

??

I base my settings on a lot of factors, as I previously said.

Something you must keep in mind is that you want to break through those walls with these infantry. If you put them to box, they'll last longer on the walls, but they also will have a hell of a hard time breaking through anything, as they will have their damage reduced by the formation as well as the walls. However, if you were counting on your archers to do most of the killing, then that's not necessarily a bad idea.

Zakilevo

« Reply #8: August 20, 2011, 05:16:20 AM »
Well I don't have much choice but to attack at this point.

I only have 450 inf + 80 arc + 160 cav while I need to beat back 530 inf + 160 arc + 200 cav.

I think I will have some peasants on my side, about 5-600? I think it will be a suicidal attack but if I don't I will lose a vital region.

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
« Reply #9: August 20, 2011, 05:24:39 AM »
Well I don't have much choice but to attack at this point.

I only have 450 inf + 80 arc + 160 cav while I need to beat back 530 inf + 160 arc + 200 cav.

I think I will have some peasants on my side, about 5-600? I think it will be a suicidal attack but if I don't I will lose a vital region.

And they're behind walls?  Unless your troops are much better quality, that's a suicide attack for sure.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

Zakilevo

« Reply #10: August 20, 2011, 05:32:36 AM »
Hmm. I should just wait until they go for a refit or something then  :-\

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11: August 20, 2011, 06:01:17 AM »
What's the CS?

Zakilevo

« Reply #12: August 20, 2011, 06:51:05 AM »
My army has 10k CS while my enemies have a total of 11250 CS. I might get a bit more once militia forms again.

Chenier

• Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13: August 20, 2011, 06:53:41 AM »
My army has 10k CS while my enemies have a total of 11250 CS. I might get a bit more once militia forms again.

You are attacking walls with less CS than the defenders have?

Prepare for a slaughter...

Zakilevo

« Reply #14: August 20, 2011, 06:54:48 AM »
I have to stop the TO :( oh well I might just let them. Damn Fronen is as well as dead at this point :P