Author Topic: Dealing with Food Surplus as a Region Lord  (Read 4619 times)

Kalanar

• Freeman
    • View Profile
Dealing with Food Surplus as a Region Lord
« Topic Start: March 05, 2011, 07:00:19 AM »
I get the impression that the banker has some elaborate set up that deals with my and other region's food surplus. But having never been a banker I don't know if this is true.

Am I the only one who deals with my surplus, or is it possibly being carted out to feed the cities by the banker through some artificial function?

Bedwyr

• Mighty Duke
  • House Bedwyr
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with Food Surplus as a Region Lord
« Reply #1: March 05, 2011, 07:43:03 AM »
I get the impression that the banker has some elaborate set up that deals with my and other region's food surplus. But having never been a banker I don't know if this is true.

Am I the only one who deals with my surplus, or is it possibly being carted out to feed the cities by the banker through some artificial function?

Very much depends on what system your realm uses.  Some realms do indeed have centralized control by the Banker, some have control at the duchy level, and some have control left to the regionlords.  Unless it's one of the half-dozen realms I know the food situation in, I can't tell you anything beyond that, but a quick letter to the Banker and/or your Duke and/or your realm should clear that up.
"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here!"

De-Legro

• Honourable King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2: March 05, 2011, 11:03:28 AM »
However bankers can no longer send your food out of your region. They can request that you set auto transport orders, but that is entirely under your control. If you have a surplus that no one is contacting you about, remember that unless you have the warehouse space it will decay quicker, and see what you can do to strike up some deals to sell the food yourself.

One more thing, winters will now be much harder on regions like rural, chances are you won't produce enough food each week to feed the region, or at least that is the experience in Arcaea.
Previously of the De-Legro Family
Now of representation unknown.

LilWolf

• Noble Lord
  • The Vasata Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #3: March 05, 2011, 01:32:58 PM »
One more thing, winters will now be much harder on regions like rural, chances are you won't produce enough food each week to feed the region, or at least that is the experience in Arcaea.

And to note also, not all islands have seasons(like Atamara, EC) so that's not necessarily an issue.
Join us on IRC #battlemaster@QuakeNet
Read about the fantasy stories I'm writing.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4: March 05, 2011, 02:42:34 PM »
bankers have a lot more information about an individual region's food than the lord. like how much surplus it has, how much is consumed a day, etc.
firefox

Anaris

• Administrator
  • Exalted Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5: March 05, 2011, 03:03:09 PM »
Only Dwilight and the Far East have seasons.

As has been stated, Bankers cannot control any food movements, they can only organize and direct the Lords in doing so.  This means that if you have set up no caravan offers, and no automatic transfers, and have not sent out any caravans yourself, your food is just sitting in your region rotting.

Bankers should not have any more information about an individual region's food status than the Lord has himself; however, they have broader information about the entire realm.  Similarly, Dukes have information about the food status of their Duchies.
Timothy Collett

"The only thing you can't trade for your heart's desire...is your heart." "You are what you do.  Choose again, and change." "One of these days, someone's gonna plug you, and you're going to die saying, 'What did I say? What did I say?'"  ~ Miles Naismith Vorkosigan

Kalanar

• Freeman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6: March 05, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »
Great, thanks for the information everybody.

fodder

• Mighty Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7: March 05, 2011, 05:57:32 PM »
eh... a banker certainly have a lot more info about a specific region than a lord, in bt at least.

it's not so much more data... just more detailed in how it breaks everything down

take the banker's food page.. it tells you how much food there is, how much will probably be consumed, how much needed before next harvest, projection into the next harvest, etc.

there's basically no equivalent for a lord. i'm not saying a lord should have details for any of the other regions... but just the same sort of info on his own region would be nice.

all a lord has is the age old produced/consumed/"surplus"/stored in warehouse.php
firefox

Wentwood

• Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8: March 11, 2011, 12:32:40 PM »
The only thing a banker has that a lord doesn't have is a numeric projection into the next harvest.

Everything else is obtainable (though by no means obvious or logical) to obtain through the available options to a Lord.

The Lord can guestimate the next harvest based on the weather forecast on the Command page and what the region's normal production is.